Spearhead.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Several years ago I bought a spearhead and I was displeased about sharpness but did nothing about it.
Finally I got contact with a knifesmith that took upon him to sharpen it better. And got it back today, sharp enough to cut paper without it shredding instead of cutting.

Reactions: Ozmundo and dwardo

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
What do you plan to do with it?
Oh, nothing. It is just for decoration to keep on the shelf.
Mr Police officer would not like it to see someone walking around with a spear.

The way I feel is; even though medieval edge weapon are only for decoration they have to be sharp as if ready for use. If they are blunt there is not the right feel to them.
I suppose it is a bit like art, there have to be a certain feeling to like them.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Well, one never knows when a bear happens to cross your path. :D
I suppose it could be legal to carry in the woods.
One would only need a bag for sports javelins to transport the spear through urban areas. :cool:

619hjOqLNkL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Ready for use worries me a little. Lol!
There might be homeinvaders, let´s go medieval on them.

Actually! There was a criminal case in Finland some odd years ago.
Someone came through the door with a chainsaw (to collect drug money or something like that) and the ought to be-victim stabbed at least one of the intruders with a decorative samurai sword.
And the court acuitted the sword wielder because he had real fear for his life.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Athos

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
When a like term "ready for use" is used.. In law that is a statement of intent., The item ceases to be a decorative item and since it can only be "ready" for one thing then I would be giving my solicitor a ring right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales

Someone came through the door with a chainsaw (to collect drug money or something like that) and the ought to be-victim stabbed at least one of the intruders with a decorative samurai sword.
Possession of a sharpened spear, an item with no credible purpose other than as a weapon would indicate premeditation. You could certainly forget using self defence as a legal defence in a court of law.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

They would have got him but the chainsaw ran out of petrol.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Oh, nothing. It is just for decoration to keep on the shelf.
Mr Police officer would not like it to see someone walking around with a spear.

The way I feel is; even though medieval edge weapon are only for decoration they have to be sharp as if ready for use. If they are blunt there is not the right feel to them.
I suppose it is a bit like art, there have to be a certain feeling to like them.
That is a superb rationalization for being in possession of a dangerous implement of doom.

• Haha
Reactions: Athos

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The issue with having a weapon with the intention to use for self defence in the house is without the knowledge of how to effectively use it there's a potential for it being used against you. Even if you were an expert spearman you could be second person to reach it in a home invasion and it gets used against you.

I heard of a case of a mugger threatening a guy with a knife. The guy was a highly trained martial artist and disarmed the mugger breaking his arm in the process. The victim of the mugger got arrested for assault, ABH I think because his skill in martial arts was classed as a weapon and a more dangerous one at that. He eventually had the case dropped before court because he had trained a lot of police in restraint techniques so he had a lot of police friends having a word with their colleagues from another force. My point being there's a bid chance you might meet a better fighter and your weapons me useless or usef0ul for your attacker.

But that's being too serious, I think Herman isn't really being serious about having a speak for home self defence.

BTW I once slept with my 75cm walking ice axe under the bed. Not for self defence just somewhere to store it out of the way. I did move it towards the side of the king sized bed away from the door so invader wouldn't get it before waking me up. It certainly could do damage and its a lightweight one but still technical rated. Got a lovely swing to it as well.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
What? Has the common law defense been removed?
Personally as the owner of my late brothers cutlass and his issued sword I agree with the OP, an edged weapon that isn't ready to use isn't a weapon, it's simply a decoration.
Somebody breaks into my house I'll take whatever steps I need to in keeping my family safe.
A spear is a reasonably good self defense weapon so long as the assailant doesn't have a shotgun, in which case a broken 12 Bore double under the bed would work, #4 steel shot rather than 00 buckshot. A shame we have to keep them under lock and key these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE