First Aid Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
and the chances of me coming across a sucking chest wound are?
im not entering a battlefield (although camps with cubs can resemble one)

it doesn't take much to puncture a lung just a stumble onto a broken branch can be enough to ruin your day - not common I agree but serious none the less :)

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Sanitary towels cheap and designed to absorb blood......also come in handy for their designed use. multipurpose means more usefull.... KEEP IT SIMPLE....

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
first aid is mobile phone 999

which is why people ring mountain rescue asking for a hot drink and some sandwiches, reliance on technology gets you killed. just ask the widows of those who fall off mountains because they relied on gps. accidents happen so you either prepare or trust in fate :)

In my group first aid kit I carry a role of cling film - it can be used for:

• covering burns
  • holding dressings in place
  • covering 'sucking' wounds
  • holding severed body parts / teeth etc.

However, on the point of knocked out teeth, I was once told they keep better in milk, so on an occasion when I had to deal with someone with a nasty facial injury including dislodged teeth I improvised with a full bottle of milk (unscrewed the cap, put in teeth & screwed cap back on). When we got to the hospital (in france) they were a little bemused when handed the bottle of milk and told in pidgeon french it was teeth. Still the surgeon managed to replace them and they healed up well.

I have numerous kits in different vehicles, at home, in the rucksack etc. these include one of the Lifesystems kits (getting back to the original question) which although I have added to was a good base to start from, especially the pouch and fairly priced IMO.

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
Reading between the lines, no one kit will be appropriate for every situation.

A nice started kit might contain all the generic items mention, plaster, bandage etc .. then just add the bits you need per outing.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
some of the car kits from mercs or bmw's are a good base and often cheap off ebay so you can stick it in pouch of your choice. :)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I have now bought myself a lifeventure first aid kit (mountain variant) and have added a millitary field dressing, and a roll of decent zinc oxide tape. I got the mountain even though it is a bit bigger than I would like, because it had duplicates of some items, (eg bandages) which could come in handy. also It's better to have something slightly to large than slightly too small, by my reckoning.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
as long as you have a basic boo boo bag with meds, plasters sutures etc.. and fast access to a big dressing then the rest can be dispersed throught out the pack.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
One course I went on mentioned a French climber who only carried a syringe of pain-killer, because everything else can be improvised.
To any kit, is it not a good idea to add Piriton (or equivalent), despite the legal implications ? I'm a bit of a minimalist when I'm off on my own, but take extra placebos when I'm with the kids.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
I used to do alot of first aid assesments as part of various outdoor ed training. I once had two older candidates . one had a roll of brown parcel tape, nothing else. The other a comprehensive kit inc morphine and scalpels etc etc. To cut a long story short i found that they both were very experienced.... No1 a consultant at local a&e dept. No 2 just left 22 years as military paramedic. last 10 of which as an attached to a certain bunch based in hereford. Ended up working with both of them.They really knew their stuff!! Their kits, one minimalist one maximalist, although very different both suited their requirements...lesson i learned. Tailor your kit based on your own level of competance and confidence and the environment in which you operate. I take this approach with all my kit now.. Not just first aid kits..

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I bought a waterproof(small drybag) kit, and added a few things in it. A bit of Sterilon, extra Tickpinchet(once I had in one week 34 ticks) and some ointment for light burnings(also already used it, though it went leak a bit). Also added some Paracetamol.
I tend to keep it organized. It once was in a little closable plastic sac, Now I keep the emergency things(wounddressings) apart from the not-so-emergency things (plasters for example). And always keep the emergencyblanket and Lifeshield resuscitator on top. I hope I'll never need that stuff.

And indeed, as Jura says; have a kit based on your own level of competence, confidence and environment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE