Fire Pistons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
bigjackbrass said:
Rats, I still can't find the source for the transparent fire piston I saw a couple of years ago. Very impressive, because you could see everything working. I'll post a source as soon as I finish trawling through my library.

Transparent model "Hyman Fire Piston" sold in US by Cynmar Corp., a supplier of lab eqpt. to schools. ($50 US, including shipping to US) Probably a counterpart in the UK.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As it developes, the transparent "Hyman Fire Piston" is sold by:

Cochranes of Oxford Ltd.
Leasfield, Witney, Oxon. OX8 5NY
Tel.: 01993 878641

Cylinder is about 255 mm long by 15 mm OD with a steel piston with O-ring. Comes with two types of tinder -- pretty good sack of "treated cotton wool which flares" and a 80 x 80 mm sheet of "treated paper tissue, which smoulders." It must be used with a base to which the tube mates. The base containes a holder for the tinder. Also has two extra 0-rings and a tiny vial of lubricant. 321 gs. Lab equipment.

Hoodoo said:
Great topic guys. I look forward to your review. I love that PVC one. I've got to try that. I have used the two shown below quite a bit. The wooden one, IIRC, came from the first link in the thread, the plexiglass one came from a sheath maker in Canada who had them made up by a machinist. Not sure if those are still available.

firepistons3b.jpg
Hi Hoodoo, sorry to take this a bit off topic, but I couldn't help noticing the piece of stone in the pic and I was wondering what it was? Feel free to take it to PM :biggthump

Jul 19, 2010
UK
Hi there. I'm new to this forum - I joined and made another post about my dad's Hyman Fire Piston because I am amazed it gets a mention somewhere by enthusiasts such as yourselves.

I grew up around his stuff and many shapes and sizes of fire pistons. He finally finished the prototype and got it marketed a few years before he passed away. The original idea comes in the form of bamboo used by tribes in Borneo. My dad showed his piston to Ray Mears once, who - being fascinated by making fire - had not heard of this method before. He also sent one to a very fascinated Hienz Wolf. I have the letter from him signed 'yours pyrogenically' :)

Well, I hope you also find it a joy to use!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE