SilverAnt 1.6 L titanium pot compared with stainless steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Recently i bought a SilverAnt 1.6 L titanium pot which comes with a shallower pot (doesn‘t seem like a fryingpan as has the raised centre part) that is carried under the main pot. It seems well made, and came from Hong Kong quickly delivered. I measured the main pot as 1.65 L to the rim, and weighing 285 g, the shallow pot as 0.55 L to the rim and weighing 138 g. I know that there are lighter 1.6+ L titanium pots (such as Toaks: thinner titanium?), but these all seem to be higher than wide so less efficient (based on the experiments of others).

The reason for buying this set was to try titanium for cooking being lighter than stainless steel; and i also have a Keith 1 L titanium kettle —actually 0.85 L to the bottom of the spout, and weighing 140 g—, but most titanium pots are too narrow to fit this kettle into, whereas the SilverAnt one is wider than high and with a domed lid, the kettle fitting easily inside. The shallow pot would be useful for poaching eggs, &c, in water.

To my delight, the domed lid also fits the MSR 1.1 L Stowaway pot —actually 1.3 L to the rim, and weighing 426 g—, and is properly held down with the handle, with the titanium lid it weighing 374 g; the shallow pot also fitting snugly under the MSR pot. The inside diameter of each pot is almost the same, so i must do some experiments in efficiency between titanium and stainless steel: i have wondered whether the extra weight of stainless steel is offset by the extra fuel carried to heat titanium such as alcohol or a gas cannister (excluding using natural fire such as a twig stove, where it is relatively irrelevant), especially over a number of days.

So, wow and woohoo, i can now have the MSR pot 52 g lighter! :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on this or experience here would be appreciated.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
When I compared stainless steel with titanium for boiling water, the titanium pot boiled faster. Titanium frying pans have a reputation for burning food and in this case it's down to the thickness (or rather thinness) of the pan. In my experience they are okay for 'wet' food that you can keep stirring to avoid burning but dry foods such as bannock are difficult. The surface texture may play a part in heat transfer too, with s. steel usually having a satin or polished finish and titanium usually being matt. I'll be interested to know what you find with your kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE