Fire Pistons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got one for reviewing :biggthump It should be up on the site in a couple of weeks. Seems quite good so far, although I have a couple of niggles! But I don't want to spoil the read.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can't wait for the review :-D I've been building fire pistons for about 2 years now with some success (my first took about 20 whacks to get the char lit) and I love em.
I'd be interested to know what niggles you have as I'm always trying to improve the designs.
Thanks for the link Martyn..... cor I wish the ones I made looked like that... mine always come out ugly but functional.

Ed :-o

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Whoa those are a bit sexy...and costly! Hmm I wonder if I can knock one up on the pole lathe.... :lol:

What materials do you use Ed?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Bamboo is my current fave :-D and any hardwood piston like the one here http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/5102/
I have had some success with lathes using yew and ebony, but the bore has to be straight and smooth (I use lard to grease it). For my first one I turned the knob with the piston on it, but broke the piston so now I make the piston seperate so if it brakes I can just drill it out and replace it.
They can be even made from plastic tubing :-D see here http://wmuma.com/tracker/skills/fire/firepiston/firepiston2Ron.html
For an idea of size see here http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
The best wooden pistons I've made have been made from well seasoned thin privit (sp?) hedge branches, sanded down by hand to form the piston, and drill a small hole in the end for the tinder.
have fun with these

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ooo a quick tip for those that want to use bamboo.... use a small diameter piece for the bore and epoxy this inside a larger bamboo tube... this works much better than a single piece of bamboo which can leak air and loose pressure (or split at the leak point) when whacked.

:lol:
Ed

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Rats, I still can't find the source for the transparent fire piston I saw a couple of years ago. Very impressive, because you could see everything working. I'll post a source as soon as I finish trawling through my library.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,
I am the European importer for Firepistons.com. If you are interested in these devices, I might be able to answer some of your questions. I first used the transparent version, but 2 problems quickly became obvious. The rubber 'o' rings aren't up to it these days and unless you strike at the perfect 90 degree angle, the plastic tends to snap.
The firepistons I get from the states are made of wood or buffalo horn. Both are seriously sturdy and lovely to handle. The seals are easy to re-do second time around. Use the first change as a 'lessons to be learnt' experience. Firepiston use is very much like riding a bike or skateboarding etc. The more you use them, the easier it becomes. For more information, please drop me a line at jonny@survivalschool.co.uk or give me a call on 01392 460312. I look forward to your calls.
Jonny

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
re-doing the seals is probably the hardest part..... still takes me a couple of goes to get it right..... and it's a very good learning experience the first time.... just a pain all the other times... but when it works... it works like a dream. I love em.

Ed

Lovely pistons on your site jonny... wish mine came out like that :shock:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Where ya been Jeff :wave:

Everyone... we'll have the article from Jeff about fire pistons up on the site next week. I will let you know as soon as it goes up. It's well worth reading.
Thanks Jeff :super:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great topic guys. I look forward to your review. I love that PVC one. I've got to try that. I have used the two shown below quite a bit. The wooden one, IIRC, came from the first link in the thread, the plexiglass one came from a sheath maker in Canada who had them made up by a machinist. Not sure if those are still available.

firepistons3b.jpg

The pretty and traditionally styled wooden model would be one of mine. :lol: The Canadian plexiglass number was available about a year ago and called Tinderflash but I have not seen them offered in quite some time. From the carbon discoloration on the piston shaft I can see you have been using charcloth quite a bit. FYI - Fungus works much better and is less trouble. It also smells nice and repels insects. Alternative tinders include Fomes Fomentarious, wood punk, mullein pith and milkweed pod. I have recently discovered the slender structure inside the milkweed pod ignites quite easily.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hi Jeff,
We must have shared emails some time ago. I can't recall if I bought directly from you or from Elpel's site. That was back when I had just started the outdoor survival forum at knifeforums. I think you offered us a discount. I hope some of the guys took you up on it. :) Your pistons are the best.

Yup, I love that tinderfungus. Here's part of what I collected last summer.

http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/images4/tinderfungus1.htm

Yes, I do recall a couple of email exchanges last year and discussions on the knife forum. You've been a good supporter and I appreciate your comments. Very nice fungus photos. May I borrow one or two for reposting on my website? Tinder fungus also works well with traditional flint and steel by the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE