Fallkniven DC3/DC4 Quality?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Sometimes dc4 split up in 2 parts.
This can happen when they get wet or when you drop them.
As said:get rid of the old glue,en use some epoxy-glue.
Problem solved.

Theo

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Just a quick update. I emailed Fallkniven last night with a photo of my damaged DC3 and by 7am this morning they'd replied requesting my address so they could send out a new one.

Very impressed with their customer service :35:

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Sorry for the bump but I thought I'd add in my 2p.

I had the same problem with the "bumpy" and concave ceramic side. I didn't know that this issue was meant to settle itself out over time so got in touch with Fallkniven and after some emails back and forth they said send it in. Sent it recorded international on Monday morning, got a new one through Saturday morning.. Couldn't be happier. Admittedly I might have got to it a day early since I work for RM and picked it up as soon as it came to the depot but still, I'm chuffed.

To anyone doubting the quality of this product, there customer service sure is great!

Also, just an observation, the new DC4 sent to me is the new variety (they told me to wait to send it in until I did as they would be receiving them then) and the ceramic side seems MUCH nicer than before.

Also, this has been bugging me for agggges!! .. What is that hole for in the diamond side?!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think the hole is for a lanyard, as you can buy them seperatly, The ceramic = c4(BOOM) and the diamond slabs= D4, either a lanyard or a pin to hold in place while you use it maybe?, but as there is no hole in the c4 not much use now.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I see, I didn't realise you could get them separately.. makes total sense now. :)

I thought I was missing out on some amazing knife sharpening technique..

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I got one a few months ago and have been using it ever since, on my Woodlore course a few days ago I showed it to the instructor who thought it looked very
dented and uneven on the diamond side. I had thought the same when I first got it, it looked like it was second hand or something but I had assumed that was just
the way they all were, after all, it sharpened my knife. I might start looking into getting this fixed or sending it back to the woodlore shop. Or maybe get a good
waterstone.

outdoorpaddy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've had two DC4s. The first one was brilliant - the bumps on the ceramic side never bothered me as I was able to get a shaving sharp edge with it and as far as I could see they didn't bother me. Anyway, I tried sharpening an axe with it and the diamonds came off the diamond side so I contacted fallkniven and they sent me a replacement. I didn't really use it for a few months but now I've noticed that the diamond side isn't completely flat and the diamonds haven't lasted nearly half as long as the first one!

I was tempted by the spyderco double stuff but most prices seem to be double that of the DC4.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been using my replacment DC4 for a while now and there is a marked difference between it and my older DC4.
I had to glue the diamond side back on which is no big deal but the main difference is the quality of the diamond side, it is no where near as good as the old one.
The diamond side seems to crumble at the edges an has a much more cumbly feel about it generaly. The ceramic side also seems to be less well finished and chips much easier.

This will be my last DC4.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I would second the DMT Diafolds, the red/green is perfect for touch ups, followed by a loaded strop if wanted, the red/blue will restore a damaged edge if it needs a bit more work.

Good quality, easy to hold and use and very effective. I never bother with my DC4 or sharpmaker these days to be honest.

Cheers, Paul

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would second the DMT Diafolds, the red/green is perfect for touch ups, followed by a loaded strop if wanted, the red/blue will restore a damaged edge if it needs a bit more work.

Good quality, easy to hold and use and very effective. I never bother with my DC4 or sharpmaker these days to be honest.

Cheers, Paul

Have a look at the DMT Diafold Red Blue, with the DMT DMG jig for folders.

Thanks, will give them a shot, any uk suppliers?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE