Fallkniven DC3/DC4 Quality?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

I have used a DC4 for years now and found it to be perfect for my needs. I have no problems putting a shaving sharp edge on everything from a SAK to my axe.

I need to replace my current DC4 due to me dropping it on a stone floor where the stone delaminated and cracked the ceramic side in two :( Needless to say i was a bit gutted as i think i have had it for about 5 years.

Anyways "to the point" i hear you cry!
I was just looking on heinnie`s website and there are some awful reviews, in particular to the quality of the "new" DC4 stones. They mention that the ceramic side is concave and uneven amongst other problems.

Has anyone found this? Will i have to find an alternative?

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I owned a DC3 for a couple of years then upgraded to a DC4 which I have had for a 2 or 3 years now. It's the main stone I use to sharpen all sorts of cutting tools and have never had a problem with it.

Just wonder if HH maybe had a bad batch? I've only ever heard good things about these stones on here.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Possibly, although i would rather send it back for replacement, if there is one thing a new stone should be its flat.
I have had nothing but great service from heinnie so ill give them a shout and get one ordered.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I just got a DC4 and it seems ok but it did split in to 2 about 5 mins after I got it. Quick few dabs with the super glue and it its fine. Looks like it had some dodgy glue to begin with on it.

I had the same problem that the diamond side parted company very quickly but epoxied it back on and it stayed there until I lost it :(

I got a bad DC4 which developed a lump/bubble under the diamond coating and Hiennie replaced it no problem.
The new DC4 is ok but does have slight ridges on the ceramic side as does my DC3.

I saw someone else's DC4 with the exact same problem and the person replaced it with the supplier without any problem.

When you say the ceramic side of the DC4 has ridges on it PWB which way do they run, across or along the length of the stone? Only reason I ask is all DC sharpening stones I've seen have had this feature running across the stone.

I've

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
I got one a couple of months ago, not from HH. fell apart within 48 hours, glued it back together with Araldite,and now ok. It does have ridges on the ceramic, the literature supplied states the ridges are normal,will wear down and do not detract from its sharpening ability! i have used out in the field and it does its job. However its a lot of money for what is obviously a poorly manufactured product. I would have to think long and hard before buying another one, maybe prolonged use will change my views!!

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I just got a DC4 and it seems ok but it did split in to 2 about 5 mins after I got it. Quick few dabs with the super glue and it its fine. Looks like it had some dodgy glue to begin with on it.

Same thing happened to me, but no effort to sort it. Good kit.

PREPER......... :)

pwb

When you say the ceramic side of the DC4 has ridges on it PWB which way do they run, across or along the length of the stone? Only reason I ask is all DC sharpening stones I've seen have had this feature running across the stone.

I've

Yup, across on both the DC3 + 4 . The lines have a slight curve to them to , reminds me of the marks left in wood after been sawed on a circular saw .
Wonder if the ceramic is cut off a block :confused:, if so I think they're needing to invest in a new blade :D.

I saw someone else's DC4 with the exact same problem
Glad I'm not the only one , I originally thought the diamond was part of the steel not just a coating. The new one is holding out well anyway.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Received my new DC4 today from the guys at heinnie. Perfect service as usual, ordered 3:35 on thrusday, here friday morning.
Well the DC4,,, pretty shocking glue up job. I can actually see light between the layers and there seems to be only 2 dabs of glue. Also i can push down on the diamond layer and it will flex inward due to the 2 dabs of glue being at either end of the stone. This is not what you want unless your after a convex edge.
I also think the diamond is a lot more coarse, could be just because its new but i remember it being a little less harsh, no matter it will calm.

I have now taken it apart (fingernails sufficed) and glued it back together properly with some 24hr epoxy.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm absolutely amazed by how many people have said the same thing, that they fall apart. that's really not acceptable from a reputable manufacturer. complain, get a replacement, get a refund, make a fuss!!!!!!

my DC3 has the curved ridges on the ceramic side too, i've always thought that they were marks left by some sort of surface grinder, i imagine that "ceramic" (whatever that is) doesn't just fall from the sky with perfectly flat surfaces and so has to be milled to shape before use. IMHO those ridges will have got there when some poor soul loaded the CNC machine and pressed the go button.

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They don't permanently affix them so that you can use the other side of the ceramic stone once the diamond side has worn out and the primary side of the ceramic has been made concave through use. Once you've epoxied it or superglued it, it's a nightmare to get down to the raw ceramic again, and you'll more than likely break or chip it trying.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
They don't permanently affix them so that you can use the other side of the ceramic stone once the diamond side has worn out and the primary side of the ceramic has been made concave through use. Once you've epoxied it or superglued it, it's a nightmare to get down to the raw ceramic again, and you'll more than likely break or chip it trying.

now that makes much more sense. i think i shall go and try to seperate the ceramic part from mine now (the diamond wore away a while ago), the ceramic piece in its pouch with a few grades of wet and dry would make a superb little sharpening kit.

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE