Deja vu with the Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
MikeDB said:
Nice, arn't they

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

Mike

Can you tell me which one is which? I really like the look of the last couple - right size....!!

Thanks,

Phil

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
The names are on the blade ;)

The Idun is the smallest, next up is the Frej

I think the Idun is the better of the smaller models as the Frej only has a small section of spine that is good for a fire steel, although the more pointed tip of the Frej makes some carving jobs easier. All the Northern Light series are gorgeous and if you put a little Kiwi Neutral on the handles they actually glow!

Here they are with other Fallknivens for scale. The none NL are a Micarta F1 and a A1

NLfamily.jpg

These were done with the Thor

med_1166768214-Thor-Curls.jpg

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Silverback said:
Hey Red is that seriously his real name (see above in bold) or a hot contender for unintentional but highly amusing typo for 2007...

It's Freudian.

Best regards,
Paul.
(I'm unbearable...hopefully, for a while yet :D)

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
jamesoconnor said:
I'd have to recommmend you Paul Baker. Ive compered his knife next to a Ray Mears woodlore and saw no difference between them. Fantastic knife!!

Got to agree with James. Used a woodlore a few times, not extensively mind you but enough to get a feel for it and I conclude the Outback I've just got from Paul is every bit its equal.

M

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
oetzi said:
Forgive me for asking, but what makes a "woodlore" so special compared with all the other types of knives?

The blade is rather thick, and the profile of the blade is parallel until the rather high, perfectly flat, cutting edge bevel. This makes the blade very strong, even at the tip, as there is no distal taper, and the angle of the grind combined with the thickness of the blade, makes it unlikely that the cutting edge will roll or chip. Also the spear point was a fairly rare shape before its recent popularity. The centrally place point has a nice, precise ‘feel’ to it (popular with wood carvers).

To me it’s more of a robust wood working tool, than say, a hunting knife/fighting knife, and as such is regarded as a non-aggressive tool.

And the large flat grind is said to be easier to sharpen ‘in the field’ over other types of grind (because it doesn’t need a ‘sharpening system’ to maintain a small, factory applied grind that might be found, for instance, on a blade with a full height, flat grind with a small secondary bevel at the cutting edge).

The design makes it a good ‘all-rounder’, and is regarded by some as the best of all compromises.

This would be my view.

Best regards,
Paul.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
You guys might want to consider this knife;

It's a Buck Vanguard model that is specially made for sale by Cabelas in their Alaskan Guide series of knives. It has a 4-1/8" (105 mm) drop point blade of S30V that has been both heat and cryo tempered. It has a rosewood handle with brass fittings and a leather sheath. Furthermore, unlike many custom knives, the price isn't in the stratosphere. It's US$95 which is about 48 or 49 pounds in UK money and about 73 or 74 Euros.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat600798&hasJS=true
i516493sq02.jpg

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Maybe I misunderstood you oztei, when you wrote ‘woodlore’in your post. I took it that you meant a Woodlore type of knife (full tang, spear point, with a Nordic grind and no distal taper).

I was describing the type of design features that can be found on a wide variety of copies of the Ray Mears/Alan Wood knife as well as the Woodlore knife itself.

I own a version of that design that was made by ghubch (Steve Cox), and I can vouch for the high quality of the blade (I bought a very reasonably priced kit). It’s an excellent tool.

I don’t own a Woodlore knife, by the way.

Best regards,
Paul.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
MrOstov,
I understand from Longstrider that Cabelas point blank refuse to send any knives to the UK, claiming that it is illegal for them to export "weapons". :banghead: This information was obtained when Longstrider tried to get one of the Buck 110 folders in S30V.

In anycase, when someone is looking for a scandi ground, full tang, almost guardless, carbon steel knife with natural wood...
I'd like it to be as near to the original woodlore knife as is physically possible, both in appearance and design
...a knife with a hollow grind, hidden tang, brass guard and pommel, super stainless blade and laminated wood handle isn't likely to fill the bill ;) :D
:lmao: Sorry man, I couldn't resist! I know things have drifted a bit from the original premise, and its no different from bringing in the Fallkniven range, there are a lot of good knives out there other than Woodlore clones. Personally I like the Vanguard design as a hunting knife, and in S30V it should be great! My memory of the last one I handled though didn't really do it for me with views to a bushcraft knife that would mainly be used for carving and cutting wood. For my money the hollow grind, handle shape, and long ricasso work against it in that role.

Continuing the off topic theme. ;) I handled one of these
P1010053.JPG

not long ago, from http://www.mikesknives.co.uk and was REALLY impressed with the fit, finish, feel and sharpness. Smaller and handier than the Woodlore, thinner stock, it was in my opinion superior to, say, Bison bushcrafters, or the BCFK. Not such a secure grip as on a Woodlore style knife due to the lack of sculpting, but quite comfortable nontheless. It is more than the £120 though :(

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
May I ask how the Woodlore knife is controversial? I mean, other than the insane price tag attached to it what does it do that a Mora knife doesn't? Is the steel better? The grind superior? The construction done to a higher quality? I understand that it is endorsed by His Royal Highness Raymond Mears aka. The Donut King, and that that may be a factor in the price but still, how is the knife itself controversial?

Curious,

Adam

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The knife isn't controversial. The controversy is whether it is really the "Best" bushcraft knife, or whether it is just popular because of the profile of Ray and Woodlore. I hardly think even that is all that much of a controversy. The general concensus seems to be that, yes, its good at what it was designed to do, but that there is no such things as a perfect knife and tastes vary.

As for comparing it to a plastic Mora :rolleyes: What is that about :confused: I mean, what is the point of trying to compare a mass produced, plastic handled cheapie knife against any high end factory or hand made knife. There are so many differences that a comparison seems pretty meaningless. You might as well start comparing Granny Smiths and Comice Pears.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I agree, it's not possible to perform a direct comparison between a Mora and a Woodlore (WS or AW).

It's a lot of money for a knife for sure but it's a serious knife, I would say it's over engineered somewhat but that's no criticism! Also, when it comes to the market value, it drives me bonkers to see people ranting like it's Ran Mears' fault or the knives fault.

People will try and get what they can when selling something and people will pay what they want.

I personally have an AW Woodlore and it's brilliant for me... my girlfriend hates it though... the woodie was expensive at £225 but I just spent £325 on a new knife for my girlfriend to use... go on, flame me, I dare ya :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE