Deja vu with the Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
With prices as they are at the moment, there is no way I'm going to be getting an Alan Wood or a Wilkinson Sword knife, but I really want a "woodlore" knife. I know it's contraversial knife, and opinions are divided about it, but after reading many, many reviews of the knife, I've decided it's the one I'm going to get. Basically, who is making the most reasonably priced version? As all of the models ever made seem to be made of 01 tool steel, I think they are slightly over priced, but that's probably just me. I'd like it to be as near to the original woodlore knife as is physically possible, both in appearance and design, but I'm only looking at spending a maximum of £120. Can anyone suggest anything? I would buy a kit, but likewise, they all seem to be too expensive. I'm sorry if this bores people, but I've come into some money, and I've been wanting a serious knife for a long time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing boring about that mate. I'd try British Blades first. Then I'd talk to Stuart Mitchell http://www.highseats.co.uk/handmade_knives_by_stuart_mitchell.htm, Shinken (on this site), or Paul Barer http://www.bushmanuk.co.uk/ - all do great work as do many more. A lot like Shings work although his blade profile is a little "chunkier" than I prefer.

My personal favourite is Magnus Axelson http://web.telia.com/~u26217332/eng.htm, but sadly his work is a more than you have to spend (although truly beautiful).

There are great knives out there to be bought "off the shelf" too. I'd consider a Bark River Aurora if you like convex grind - I can put you in touch with Mike at BRKT if that helps

Red

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Damn you Red!!!! :( I need the 'Anti-Steel-Lust' vaccine STAT!!!

cwm2.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good isn't he? Well he should be - he's Swedish champion now. He wasn't when he made this one for me

DSCF1031.jpg

His leather and handles are jaw dropping - this one I love

sc3.jpg

Sadly I don't think its £120 for Jon :eek:

Red

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Jon
I got my 'Woodlore' from www.tout-lemonde.com via 'bushcraft' on e-bay. Im very pleased with it. Its vitually identical to the Woodlore and has the same steel.
It cost £115 with a free fireflash.
As its made in Sheffield im wondering if the company simply copied the Wilkinson Sword model or got the patent from them?Who knows? Its not handmade by any of the big names or anything but the quality is there. Ta Ed

Jan 22, 2006
uk
its a shame woodlore dont have a deal with someone to produce a mid priced woodlore knife - around the £100 mark. its odd why they have such a gap in their range of products, and especially as its the most important piece of kit.
i'm sure they'd love to have something like that to offer - if only to reduce the amount of enquiries they must get about it!
it wouldn't take anything from Alan Wood, there'll always be a huge demand for his knife, but it would satisfy a lot of customers, it must be frustrating for them to see the prices on ebay, but it only shows the demand

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
MikeDB said:
Well this little beauty is mine and erm, nope £120 wouldn't cover it :)

Mike
Your a lucky man Mike - its a beauty. I have to say, I'm normally all about "form over function", but my knife by Magnus really is a thing of beauty. Goran Enocksson's blades are fantastic too

Red

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
British Red said:
Your a lucky man Mike - its a beauty. I have to say, I'm normally all about "form over function", but my knife by Magnus really is a thing of beauty. Goran Enocksson's blades are fantastic too

Red

Indeed they are. I have a chefs knife with an Enocksson blade, Magnus special, of course :)

Seriously, I meant to add earlier....

Jon, if you are looking for a woodlore style knife on a budget I would give serious consideration to contacting Johan either by pm or off his website. This is a really good looking piece of kit and with the rates at the moment works out around £80!!

http://http://www.nordicbushcraft.com/webshop_v2/index.htm

Mike

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Guys, thanks for all the responses, they are really helpful and just the type of answers I was after. I can appreciate that this is probably an over asked question, but the responses have been excellent. Keep up the good work!

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
British Red said:

Red

Some Magnus magic :)

mag1.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Another vote for Steve Wade Cox from http://swc-handmade-knives.com/

He will not only make you a good, precision-hardened knife, it can also be ordered as a kit. And if you are up for a design of your own, he can do that too. I sent him a CAD-drawing for a blade and within a couple of weeks I got it in - right to specs.

-Emile

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
hammock monkey said:
its a shame woodlore dont have a deal with someone to produce a mid priced woodlore knife - around the £100 mark. its odd why they have such a gap in their range of products, and especially as its the most important piece of kit.
i'm sure they'd love to have something like that to offer - if only to reduce the amount of enquiries they must get about it!
it wouldn't take anything from Alan Wood, there'll always be a huge demand for his knife, but it would satisfy a lot of customers, it must be frustrating for them to see the prices on ebay, but it only shows the demand
The Wilkinson woodlore was the mid priced knife in the lineup. It originally went for £90 I believe (overpriced for a factory made knife IMO). I am stunned by the sums they reach on ebay :eek: .

And I think most of the handmade knives are distinctly under priced considering the work that is involved. I think anyone who lets their work go for under £100 is crazy :confused: .

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
MikeDB said:
Nice, arn't they

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

Mike

We should have a get together, they can have a sleep over, bring their pajamas and records :D

Which one to you go to first? Idun for me or the Thor for the big stuff.

Sorry for the thread HJ :eek:

Shame on you Mike, not many 'use' marks on them! :cool:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Magnus does make exceedingly nice knives..

Juniperburl3.jpg

Sadly this one doesn't look as neat as this any more as I just had to use it. :rolleyes:

Citadel3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE