Deja vu with the Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Quite right Squidders,

I have read countless posts on countless forums about expensive kit and how something for 10% of the cost will do the same job.

I have never really understood why so many people spend so much time, trying to save my money for me. I always liken them to religious nutters that try and make you see the 'light', why do they work so hard at it?

I usually buy what I want, cost does not figure into it. If its that expensive I will wait, but I won't compromise on what I want.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
TheGreenMan said:
By the way, I’ve seen a Woodlore prepare a deer and it did just fine. The person concerned had all their finger and thumbs when they had finished.

Best regards,
Paul.

Sure it can do all that is needed in preparing a deer, including ripping through the chest bone when leaving your saw at a larder in the adjoining County :banghead: , but as has been said it isn’t perfect for everything. In the context of deer the blade could be a little longer for bleeding; smaller for vent work and both narrower and of a different profile for evisceration.

That’s why I’m some 14 months into an order for a two-knife set from Alan Wood.

Well, any excuse!!

Cheers

Klench
Ps: Anyone either spoken or had e-mail contact with Alan since November?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
mrostov: I think part of the difference is that there's really nowhere in Britain thats really "seroiusly remote". You're never much more than a days walk from civilisation, so we really don't have the same sorts of "survival" challenges.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Klenchblaize said:
Sure it can do all that is needed in preparing a deer, including ripping through the chest bone when leaving your saw at a larder in the adjoining County :banghead: ,...

Commiserations on the forgotten saw, Klench. I can only imagine how you felt at the moment of realisation :D

Klenchblaize said:
...but as has been said it isn’t perfect for everything...

And I accept totally, that a multi-purpose knife is always going to be a compromise, I would never suggest anything else than that propostion. A strong fixed blade (shortish), a hachet/axe, a Mora back-up, a folding saw and a pocket knife is all I need. Anythting else I buy is to learn (see below :lmao: )

EDIT: On reflection, I would not take a Mora as a back-up unless in extreme situations, and if I had a hatchet/axe with me, then the Mora would be more than up to most jobs, and thus I wouldn’t worry about the Mora being my main knife.And if ‘push came to shove’ I could do pretty much everything I needed to do with a hatchet alone (of course, a pocket knife with the hatchet would be bliss). My Gränsfors Bruks hatchet will even do a fine job of food preparation.

Klenchblaize said:
...Well, any excuse!!...

Indeed! :D

Best regards,
Paul.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't think proximity is much of a factor... many people travel wildely to do their bushcraft. Just because its not on my doorstep doesn't mean I haven't done it.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
xairbourne said:
...Im going to invest in a falkniven F1...

Oh boy, this is like waving a red flag at a bull, British Red has very stong opinions about this knife :D

EDIT: sorry, that should have been 'rag' not 'flag' :eek:

In my opinion <clears throat nervously in anticipation of the coming sh*t storm>, for the purposes of 'bushcraft' (what ever you interpret 'bushcraft’ to be) you may find the S1 is better suited to your needs if you work a lot with wood, due to the more acute geometry of the convex arcs.

You understand I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, or to court controversy :D

If you have an opportunity to try both the F1 and the S1 before you make a purchase...

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: Really looking forward to this thread rolling over and dying <chuckle>

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
xairbourne said:
Well i have just joined the 2 1/2 year waiting list for a woodlore, Something i can leave to my son.

Im going to invest in a falkniven F1 soon though, just to tell the Mrs...

be warned - when yours is ready they will call you out of the blue and say "it's ready, give money now or it goes to the next on eht list" - yes, they're more polite but that's basically it. it caught me out when they called because it was just before a payday :eek:

I just scraped through.

leon-1

TheGreenMan said:
Oh boy, this is like waving a red flag at a bull, British Red has very stong opinions about this knife :D

EDIT: sorry, that should have been 'rag' not 'flag' :eek:

In my opinion <clears throat nervously in anticipation of the coming sh*t storm>, for the purposes of 'bushcraft' (what ever you interpret 'bushcraft’ to be) you may find the S1 is better suited to your needs if you work a lot with wood, due to the more acute geometry of the convex arcs.

You understand I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, or to court controversy :D

If you have an opportunity to try both the F1 and the S1 before you make a purchase...

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: Really looking forward to this thread rolling over and dying <chuckle>

Paul you could really of started it now:rolleyes:.

I will be making an S1 next month, so far my only thoughts on it are that the S1 maybe just that little bit too long/big for reasonable comfort, but that is yet to be seen.

Currently I think that a reprofiled F1 is probably one of the best knives that you can get, but as Squidders said (quite rightly so), it's very much a case of "horses for courses" or "one man's meat is another man's poison".

As far as Woodlore's go, personally I am not a fan, but I am working on one of the many clones at the moment for a friend of mine and in the end all knives have serious potential in the hands of someone that knows how to use one properly.

The woodlore has good and bad points, it is a robust blade (Stuart and I saw a couple in Namibia that had been abused) that will take punishment that it shouldn't really have to. As far as the choice of steel is concerned you could probably do better, but as long as it is maintained properly it will serve it's owner well.

I don't like the profiling on the handle, never have, but that is my opinion and others have other ideas of what is ideal. In the end there is no point in arguing about the Woodlore style knife, either you like it or you don't. Personally I will stick with either the F1, H1, Gene Ingram #30, Gene Ingram #6, or the Frosts Clipper.

Possibly once I have got it made, the Stewart Mitchell number 2 blade that I have will produce a different reaction, you never know.:)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
leon-1 said:
Paul you could really of started it now:rolleyes: ...

I do seem to have a talent for that :eek:

leon-1 said:
... I will be making an S1 next month, so far my only thoughts on it are that the S1 maybe just that little bit too long/big for reasonable comfort, but that is yet to be seen...

Yep, putting wooden slabs on a full tang S1 blade, is on a very long list of future projects. I don’t think I’ll be putting it in a dangler sheath though, something higher up the body, I think.

leon-1 said:
...but as Squidders said (quite rightly so), it's very much a case of "horses for courses" or "one man's meat is another man's poison"...

I’ve got one I’ve been experimenting with for a while now, in terms of profile. And the ‘one man’s meat…’ thing is all very true.

leon-1 said:
...and in the end all knives have serious potential in the hands of someone that knows how to use one properly..."...

That’s not to be underestimated, that’s for sure.

leon-1 said:
...Possibly once I have got it made, the Stewart Mitchell number 2 blade that I have will produce a different reaction, you never know.:)

Look forward to seeing that, Leon.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Oh, sh*t, sorry about that mangled double post, everyone.

Can a Mod delete that first one of the two, at all?

Cheers,
Paul.

EDIT: Thank you Mod, who ever you were :) When I made the double post I was 'trying to juggle too many balls at the same time' :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE