D.I.S.C theory colours.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
With this you are supposed to get 2 colours, one is your 'normal' colour and the other is your 'stressed' colour.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
With this you are supposed to get 2 colours, one is your 'normal' colour and the other is your 'stressed' colour.

Ah, that explains it - so I start a good day, after my first coffee, chilled out in green; then as the day goes on and things don't go to plan and 'people' get involved I move through the colours till I get to red! :)

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure if that is a statement or question? If it's a statement that's not how I understand it. If you run the test and just come out heavily in one area you are in the 5% percentile. Most people have two colours and it's more about understanding how you communicate and how that maybe different to someone else. And then by understanding how to mitigate the differences and various needs.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
We did this for about 3 days at my last place. There was a lot of blue (tech team) I'm going on what I was told. That when you take the tests you generally get one colour for stress and one for unstressed. Im sure the you get mixes, but it was the majority colour that was taken when we did it. Allow for it being 14 years ago or more so it's been a while. We used to have to do FISH twice a year. Personally I hate all that profile stuff.

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I'm not alone in not being convinced in such things if used for workplace. There's academics finding many neither accurate or valid. In the US the Myers Brigg Type Indicator test is the most popular in recruitment. It is used by 20% of fortune 1000 companies I read and 89 it off fortune 100 use it in their business I read. The business sector makes $20 million out of just this one test methodology.

Concerns includes the risk of eliminating good candidates, alienates some employees, pigeonholing people based on inaccurate tests and creating homogeneity in the workplace that might not work well. The tests often give answer options that don't fit the employee taking the test, they use wording / language from the times they were developed which might not be as clear to modern world and individuals often give different answers on taking the tests on different days. I know that had happened to me before now.

As a bit of fun I think they work but I am not a fan of workplace using them.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I hated doing them. I used to come out almost flat on the fish ones which is unusual, except in those either unhappy in the job or like me those who get wound up taking the tests

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
This is a 'dangerous' practice instigated in the workplace without sufficient information or understanding. We did this in my current employ you were rated as four colours that matched your approach/style with the intention of being able to adapt your style/approach, in order to achieve success, to suit the person you were dealing with. No. What actually happened is that people took it that's how they were to act and any excuse for poor behaviour, late work etc "well that's my colours". A little farcical. My colours confirmed where I was and reflecting back on my upbringing and route through life I could see why. Seeing a colleague shouting at her co-workers then try to explain it away as 'but I'm primary blue with a secondary red' was cringeworthy. It got filed in the 'not going to bother with that again'.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I know a lot about tests and don't like them. All have limitations and few are administered by people who know what they are doing.

My cynicism started when I was a young teacher and I was required to set National Foundation for Educational Research tests. Marks were awarded only for answers conforming to the supplied list and no original thinking was rewarded. I wondered whether the psychologist who set the test envisaged any kind of thinking other than his own could be possible. For example, on the front of the answer booklet, the pupil was asked to write their name and then answer the question, "Are you a boy or a girl?" The only correct answer is, of course , "Yes".

Another favourite was, "If you were at a match between Arsenal and Chelsea, what would you be doing?" Supplied answer - Watching Football. How I longed to award a bonus point to the boy who wrote "fightin"!

Reactions: TLM

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I heard that a company I worked for did psychometric,personality and ability testing before I joined them. The boss saw it as a good idea and progressive but in the end it was used to move people around and finish people. Totally sold the boss an idea that they didn't understand or even use as intended. Someone made money out if it not m the company.

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
I was in a managerial team where each of us tested as a different colour (I was blue - through & through). We massively complemented each other as a result of our differences. The greatest benefit of doing the test was that it explained the things that annoyed us about each other.
It also really helped designate different tasks.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was in a managerial team where each of us tested as a different colour (I was blue - through & through). We massively complemented each other as a result of our differences. The greatest benefit of doing the test was that it explained the things that annoyed us about each other.
It also really helped designate different tasks.
Yes that looks like it was applied correctly. My feeling is that Paul_B‘s experience is more common.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes that looks like it was applied correctly. My feeling is that Paul_B‘s experience is more common.

I guess like any tool - it can be misused.

My experience thus far of UK 'professional' companies hasn't been inspiring for the majority.

Reactions: SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE