crayfish pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Toddy,
The natives are not anywhere near as aggresive, also in many areas signals (but not all) carry crayfish pluage, which they dont have the same reaction to as our natives. Unfortunately our white claws are from the delicate end of the crayfish spectrum.
Where the two do exist trapping doesnt seem to have helped the natives although i think the argument about the larger males eating young is only part of the story and suspect there is something about the absence of chemical stimulii making more females produce more eggs... although im not 100%m about that bit.

The post code system can be found on the application form here but note that thios isnt licences to trap them just to keep them, but if you are in the area where you dont need a licence to keep them then you are much more likely to get a licence to trap them since there are usually no natives left

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/fish/cray2.pdf

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This may be a silly question, but does that document only refer to a license to keep them, and not catch them, as I seem to recall you need a 'to catch em' with things other than a rod or line? Wouldn't want folks to get into trouble if that was the case?

Best thing to do is call them up and enquire about getting a licence. they send you out an information pack full of stuff, how to tell which crayfish are which, rules and regs for trapping them, etc. Even if you don't get apply for the licence you'll gain a lot of info. ;) And they send it to you for free!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Best thing to do is call them up and enquire about getting a licence. they send you out an information pack full of stuff, how to tell which crayfish are which, rules and regs for trapping them, etc. Even if you don't get apply for the licence you'll gain a lot of info. ;) And they send it to you for free!

I'll not hold my breath here.. I contacted both SEPA and SNH for info and was told to look at the DEFRA web site, was given a link to a page that didn't exist too. Not heard anything back since they suggested 'do a search' :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll not hold my breath here.. I contacted both SEPA and SNH for info and was told to look at the DEFRA web site, was given a link to a page that didn't exist too. Not heard anything back since they suggested 'do a search' :rolleyes:

That's no good,

"Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. Further information on these byelaws can be found on the Environment Agency website."

That's taken from the page on Crayfish on the DEFRA site here, at the bottom of the page:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/marine/freshwater/crayfish.htm#trapping

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Cheers spamel, I'll try them, but I suspect they'll only deal with England and Wales. Thanks anyway.. fingers crossed.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers spamel, I'll try them, but I suspect they'll only deal with England and Wales. Thanks anyway.. fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, forgot you were in Scotland! I'm surprised you need anything such as a license, etc in Scotland. You don't need a fishing license for inland waters, do you? You Scots, you've got the best countryside and tonnes of freedom! I'm not envious, honest! :rolleyes:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
For those of you who live south of the border, here are a couple of links that may give you some more info on crayfishing.. :)

Crayfish trapping : what you need to know pdf

Crayfish bylaws pdf

Advice on disinfection of traps pdf

FAQ pdf

Crayfish identification pdf

All of the above found here

Spamel, no we don't need a license to catch fish as such, but in most places we need a permit, which can be as little as a couple of pounds per day to much more, depending on where you are fishing. Nothing is ever simple is it..

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Oh yeah, forgot you were in Scotland! I'm surprised you need anything such as a license, etc in Scotland. You don't need a fishing license for inland waters, do you? You Scots, you've got the best countryside and tonnes of freedom! I'm not envious, honest! :rolleyes:

we got midges to make up for it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
But, we could be so generous, and you can have as many as you like of the blighters........and the clegs :bluThinki:

cheers,

M

Nah, s'alright. You keep 'em to yourselves! I've got plenty of pests round about here, such as rabbits, rooks (The branchers will be ready for the pot in a few weeks!), red partridge, pheasant, hares, pigeons, squirrel, it goes on and on.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nah, s'alright. You keep 'em to yourselves! I've got plenty of pests round about here, such as rabbits, rooks (The branchers will be ready for the pot in a few weeks!), red partridge, pheasant, hares, pigeons, squirrel, it goes on and on.

At least you can eat or two of those.. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE