crayfish pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
hi all just another free meal i had yesterday first time to eat local caught crayfish. they where lovely cooked them in butter with garlic chives black pepper and salt.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I can only see the left half of MASSIVE pics... :(

not sure what's wrong, anyway... I'm in need of some more info please Camokid! I've never caught crayfish, don't know where to find them or anything! Little advice? :)

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
ha ha ha sorry lads im still messing about trying to load the pics properly that isn't the actual size of the cray's but we can wish...............

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd also love to know your trapping method - and how your experiences were of getting the relavent licenses and permissions?

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
i just made a mesh trap a box designe with a slope into it and put a nice fresh pice of fish and had a go by chance there where 5 signal crays in the trap the next day so it was a free meal 4 me.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I think part of the point of the licencing is not just to make sure you dont get legal action against you but, and probably more importantly, to make sure that people trapping are disinfecting and not incidentally spreading crayfish plague around.
Suspected of being one of the main causes of decline of our natives.

As said previously pleantly of posts on this, depending on where you are however (look on the EA website for more detail) getting licences shouldnt be too taxing.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
It may depend on the area you are in, but in the Thames, which is regarded as infested with signals, I was able to get a free license for a single trap for personal consumption without any problems at all - it arrived within a week of the application and covered me for a 6 month period - though I didn't actually go out trapping in the end.

As said earlier, there are several threads on the subject of licensing but application forms can be downloaded from the EA web site.

Geoff

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know that you are supposed to have a licence Red,but do you know of any instances of someone being taken to court for this ??

ATB
GS
I don't - its not something I follow as I haven't had the opportunity. For me its more about responsible hunting (as so many things are) - not spreading infection, not catching / injuring non target species etc.

Red

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
you should give it a go big red its easy to tell the species apart and as for infection you just gotta think what your doing if your moving the traps from pool to pool or river they need to be cleaned and disinfected do not relise crayfish anywhere its illegal to relise any non british species of any kind plus you dont let them go you eat them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE