cooking pike from an open fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I ate a 8 pounder about a year or so ago, only cos it was very deep hooked and could not remove hooks without damaging the pike. It was ok, cooked it in foil with butter salt and pepper. A little fiddly with the bones but tasted not bad. Not as nice as perch tho :)

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
an 8lb pike would likely be a male or juvenile female and not breeding so that doesnt matter, any bigger than that and it would be unfair i think.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Brochet (pike) au beurre blanc - a delicacy on the banks of the Loire (from where the fish are caught) and VERY tasty! Don't know why we don't eat them more often over here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pike's easy to debone if you just mind that it has two extra spike bones per vertebrae, set like Y's, tail end out and upwards.

I know the pike as the ged or gade in Scots but brochet (sounds a bit like brushy :) ) for cooking.
This lassie doesn't do a terribly neat job of deboning it, but, right down to using the fork, this is how I was taught to fillet the ged. Six fillets from it. Two belly, two saddle strips and two from the tail end.
It's good eating is pike, if it's properly prepared.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_xXnJ6cLo

I do mind seeing one cooked whole wrapped in grass and mud and then the meat was sliced off the biggest bits and the fork used again to get all the meat from the head and around the bones for a kind of kedgeree served in a creamy curry sauce.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I like the way this fellow does it too ....bones out 'afterwards' but he really understands how the fish is put together :D
http://www.redrockstore.com/eat_northern_pike/index.htm

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Can i just hasten to add that pike anglers are a wild bunch and have a huge focus on conservation, pike are very fragile and the removal of apex predators can hugely affect the aquatic ecosystem, I would think you would get lynched if you got caught taking a trophy fish.

Fish under 5lb are more than enough.

I ate pike and walleye in a shore lunch on a fly out trip in the canadian wilderness, the walleye was much better, pike is kinda bland.

Has anyone tried Perch?

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Can i just hasten to add that pike anglers are a wild bunch and have a huge focus on conservation, pike are very fragile and the removal of apex predators can hugely affect the aquatic ecosystem, I would think you would get lynched if you got caught taking a trophy fish.

Fish under 5lb are more than enough.

I ate pike and walleye in a shore lunch on a fly out trip in the canadian wilderness, the walleye was much better, pike is kinda bland.

Has anyone tried Perch?

aye perch are lovely taste a bit like broon trout and less fidely bones than pike too,and such a bonny fish to look at to.lol

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
If you catch a Pike and don't like eating them, pass them on to your local Chinese Takeaway.

Some of those fellas love pike, and being stuck in a sweatbox of a kitchen, may not have had Pike since leaving home in the far east, and may do you a swap. :)

It works for me.

Edited to add; Cheers Filcon, your recipe made me laugh.

lol somebody once told me and wor kid a similar story about eels so we went of to the local chinese and they just looked at us like we were idiots.lol

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
I was actually thinking this as well, what pike to they have in china? the river amur has an amur pike that doesnt occur anywhere else in the world but from what i read its does not exist in china as they ate them all, only in the mongolian part of the amur?

lol somebody once told me and wor kid a similar story about eels so we went of to the local chinese and they just looked at us like we were idiots.lol

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I hooked a pike last year so deep it cut it's gills open. He was soaked in oil, soya sauce, fish oil, chillis and sweet chilli sauce. It was delicious. I prefer it to my usual quarry of trout. Most angling waters that are carp/course orientated welcome the removal of pike.( at least that's my experience). They seem to think they will eat everything till there's no other species. Either way, my favourite fish!

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Great vid Gaz, thanks for posting it. Lovely fish to eat and now i've seen this method of prep, bring em on

Dave

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
an 8lb pike would likely be a male or juvenile female and not breeding so that doesnt matter, any bigger than that and it would be unfair i think.

8lb pike if it were a male would be a breeding pike for sure, the male fish dont get as big as the females.

The best option here would have been to cut the leader as close as possible and return the fish to the water, they do survive this scenario. This is the reason I encorage people to use bronzed or painted hooks as they rust allot better than tinned hooks whick would never break down in the fishes stomach.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You'll be making no friends if anyone from the PAC (Pike Angling Club) sees you taking them for the pot!! There's enough fish being taken from our waters by our Eastern European friends. Angling Clubs are getting increasingly twitchy.............By the way, I'm not in the PAC.

I second that - please don't take Pike for the pot. Go for Zander - they're a nuisance fish that don't belong in our rivers. American brown catfish too - some very good eating on those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE