cooking pike from an open fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Build a camp fire and spread the ashes evenly to allow the heat to cook thoroughly.
Clean the pike, keeping its head, stuff the belly with butter,salt,pepper, add a wee bit parsely and thyme.
Cut 3 pieces of half inch plywood boards 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, roughly the length of the pike.
Wrap copper wire the length of the boards nice and tight to seal it, then saturate the boards with vinegar.
Gently put the pike into the ashes, rotate gently and cook it evenly for 6 minutes on each side.
Once the pikes head starts steaming vinegar, remove the cooked pike from the fire carefully.
Get a pair of pliers and snip the copper wire gently.
Open up the boards and remove the cooked pike, check its well cooked .
Place the boards to the side and then throw the bloody pike away.
Then go and eat the boards,Bon appetite.

phil

Last edited:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Now theres a good meal, you have fried eels for breakfast then Guinness,
then have eels for lunch and more Guinness,
have them for dinner then more Guinness.
Must have been too much salt on the eels that was making me thirsty.

phil

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Have to disagree.

Tried my first Pike last year at L Ken,done simply with lemon and butter,it was fantastic.

Thanks to Maxine Garland for cooking it.

I must say I was more than pleasantly surprised that it tasted so good after years of hearing it was worthless.

I didn't find the bones any trouble either.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Don't know what kinda pike you folks have over there, but our Northern
Pike is downright delicious.....I agree that the smaller ones can be
tedious to eat, navigating through all the bones, but anything bigger
than 2kg is a treat....sweet white meat; especially the ones caught in
winter through the ice; the colder the water the better. Just gut them,
cut the head off, and throw them on a grill over the fire; skin falls off,
backbone lifts out and they're ready to eat.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
in medieval days they were farmed like trout for the table. In ponds formerly behind the globe theatre in london - produced as a market crop.

But then we brits are a funny bunch when it comes to eating fish - my mate regularly pulls up 2-4kg Carp - but refuses to bring me any to eat - PUTS THEM BACK THE TW**T something about them bieng a noble fish!!?? and not bieng good to eat!!!???

Weird

Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Silentpaddler have you ever tried ponassing them as ray does perhaps that would get the bones out of the way easier?

Cheers
Nick

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Silentpaddler have you ever tried ponassing them as ray does perhaps that would get the bones out of the way easier?

Cheers
Nick

Well, I have to admit the word ponassed is a new one to me, so I looked
up that thread....very cool....have not personally tried that method,
some of my hunting buddies have, will have to give it a go for pike.
As far as rainbows, we have a nice little artesian lake near us just full of them; my preferred method for them has been wrap in foil and give them
a brief visit on the coals...rainbows are such a bugger to catch; deep
trolling, takes too much patience!:rolleyes:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Northern pike of North america is the same beastie you find in the UK, Europe and Scandinavia.

I've often caught them while fishing for trout. They will take the fly, wee Mepps spinners or silver Tobies. I believe our American cousins use the 'devil' lure with success.

They taste very good, but I despair over the bones, and I know this is a common view in the UK. It seems that the North Americans are much more inclined to eat them then we are nowadays. Maybe they just have better filletting techniques. Historically, they were eaten in the UK in Roman times.

badawg

Apr 7, 2010
California
Carp are about 7/10ths intestine. Yukky muddy flavor to them. The Asians put them in clear ponds for a week or two before harvesting, as it clears the mud out...

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
If you catch a Pike and don't like eating them, pass them on to your local Chinese Takeaway.

Some of those fellas love pike, and being stuck in a sweatbox of a kitchen, may not have had Pike since leaving home in the far east, and may do you a swap. :)

It works for me.

Edited to add; Cheers Filcon, your recipe made me laugh.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
You'll be making no friends if anyone from the PAC (Pike Angling Club) sees you taking them for the pot!! There's enough fish being taken from our waters by our Eastern European friends. Angling Clubs are getting increasingly twitchy.............By the way, I'm not in the PAC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE