Central Scotland Meetup: Brownlee, Feb 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Blimey, it should be a small and elite group at this one! I'm not going to be able to make it either :(

Trying to sort out directions and I got this:

brownlee.bmp

I think you must all be in the woodland at the bottom left quadrant of the pic, unless Im looking in totally the wrong place, cant see the fire though ;)

Hope you have a great time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
There is no hiding quality :)

:lmao:

Had a beeeautiful day up there today, sunshine, birdsong, woodlands, water, fire going, kettle on, good company..... :D

The road is busy but once on the path towards the river the noise just disappears and the woods are quiet and peaceful.
I'll see that the gate is open early tomorrow, Warthog1981 will probably beat me to it though, if the wildlife lets him get some sleep :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That was torture Toddy by the way. My desk isn't that far away and with you annoucing that you were away out for a wander.
You got a nice day for it. :)

Judging by the last weeks weather I think I'll pack for "changable". ;)

Oct 25, 2005
Hamilton
Thanks for the photo John. That just sums up the weekend.

I had a really good time and enjoyed meeting you all - great to work with people who have respect from the environment and can see jobs that need doing and just get on with them. Thanks.

I'll meet with the local landowners once I'm back from a weeks holiday and let them know that we plan more meets. I'll also try and source some better parking.

Looking like the next task will be to sort out the pond dam, clear the overhanging trees and do a bit more litter clearance. Once I've got a date sorted I'll post it on the thread and let you know the details.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as me.

Mike

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi, Toddy
Sorry I was a no show.
The kids are down with a sickness bug.

It wasn't fair to leave the wife to deal with it on her own :(

I'm gutted (my bag had been packed for days). :( :(

Hopefully I will manage the next one (fingers crossed)

wildeep

Regards to everyone who made it to the Brownlee meet. 'twas great to meet you all and in such a charming location too. :D

Here is a web page with info on the delicious Velvet Shank mushrooms and the poisonous look-alike that was pushing my paranoid buttons:

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/march97.html

the deadly gallerina marginata (aka gallerina autumnalis) is recorded in a number of UK mushroom surveys (although I have never seen one,) but I am unclear as to why it should be omitted from so much of the brittish fungus literature... :confused:

Hope to see you again soon!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Way too short for me(but that's a one-nighter and sleeping in for you).
Was great to meet you all and have a look around the place :D . A very interesting place is is too.

A few pics - forgot to lift the camera when we went a wander :eek: .

Brownlee_1.jpg

This was entirely too cosy. There's certainly no shortage of trees to roost in.

Brownlee_2.jpg

It's a high variety woodland. These pics barely scratch the surface.

Brownlee_3.jpg

Didn't get over over to see the dam. Here's a "before" pic of the pond for posterity.

Brownlee_4.jpg

I'm starting to think folk'll have to ban me from the fire before I get round to trying the bow-drill but as always others were mastering the rubbing of the sticks :) .

Roll on March and that fresh holiday sheet. Wish I'd been there Friday as well.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks for a great weekend guys (and girls) despited being dumped out my hammock 3 times I can honestly say that sleeping in a hammock is the way to go, well once you sort out your knots.
Hope you all made it home safely.

Cheers

JFW

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Thought I heard someone having a down-to-earth moment :) . While drifting off to sleep my last thought was "What you grinning at? You might be next! :p ".

Was reading a book over Warthog's shoulder at one point and meant to take a note of it's name. A5 with black and white pics of various stone/antler/etc tools. Not much writing, just comments on the pics. Could it's owner post the title please so I can try and track down a copy?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yep - wonderful weekend - just trying to get on with a day back in the office has been a toughie!

Grooveski - those books were ones that Mike brought along and was happy to lend to folk - if you PM him you can probably borrow it...

Will see if there are any pics worth putting up onn the camera - mostly forgot to take any!

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
great weekend folks i think i,ll be at more thanks people.between jfw three dump hammock trick and three legged stools eh!.hope to see you all soon .grooveski that guy in the picture certainly looks as if he knows what he,s doing.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Doing better than I did Gill! There's the first wisp of smoke there, I barely raised steam at the North Meet. :p

Cheers Mat, Warthog PM'd me that he's got it. I'll huckle it for a look at the next one.
I'm much the same, kind of distracted, it's a hard place to get out your head.
Was just looking at the aerial shot that Jason posted - looks so different now. I can see the pond as plain as day, where I pitched my first hammock, where I gathered my first crampballs, where I plucked my first ripe swan.... :D
I feel like going round and doing something, picking some litter or just wandering the ash wood admiring potential bow staves.

Did anyone else find it odd to have the dead/live wood situation reversed? Normaly it's use the dead and leave the live but here it's leave the dead for the fungi/nature and selectively thin the overcrowded. I'll bet more live trees came down over the weekend than in all the uk meets last year.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Very true, I was looking over my shoulder when I was cutting down the ash poles.. and that was with the ranger saying I could!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D I had an excellent time folks, thanks for the company and many thanks to Mike Brady for sorting out access, etc., It was good to see so many people, both known faces and new ones too. Thanks too to everyone who took the time and trouble to explain, teach and demonstrate skills, it really helped made the meet special. :You_Rock_
I have photos to post, I'll get to it, promise :rolleyes:

Thanks too to all of the people I bartered with, I reckon I won.
Lots of good things :D

JFW (thank you for carving the wooden spoon)and Warthog1981, my brother says that if you use the casenit it will make the edge so brittle the steel will shatter with a blow, I'll bring some next time but might bring brother too so you can all have a play around with the stuff ;)

JohnC, hope you got the car sorted out without problems. :( I'm still sorry you had to. I'm impressed with the woolen shirt :cool: & I'll see about green linen.

Ben, nice site, loved the photos, welcome to Bcuk, and don't be a stranger. The velvet shanks were delicious :)

Match & Fireferret, those twisted staves are going to be so beautiful, remember photos, please :)

Warthog1981 made fire first time of trying with the bowdrill too...elder hearth and hazel spindle. :cool: :cool:

And a big thank you to everyone who cut up Fomes for my dyepot too, much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Toddy

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I must say it sounds like it was a great weekend. It looks like i'm moving to Dumfrieshire at the end of the month, so i'm hoping to see some of you again and meet all of the new faces at future Scottish meets, assuming a sarsonac (sp) with little knowledge but bags of enthusiasm is still welcome ;) Well done Toddy for organising what sounds like a great meet :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE