Central Scotland Meetup: Brownlee, Feb 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Graham_S said:
awww blush.
it's nice to be missed.

While I'm hoping to be able to show anyone who's interested some of the more traditional fire-starting skills, unfortunately people will just have to wait til the next one if they want to see how to properly make small nuclear-style explosions from curious mixtures of chemicals.... :D - sorry to hear you can't make it!

Oct 25, 2005
Hamilton
Hi all,

Tiem to start working out the details. The site is there all the time so you can arrive anytime on Friday. We're planning on having the camp near the pond as its quite hidden and has quite a few flat open areas. I'm meeting warthog 1981 at Lanark around 1.15 and will be on site by 2pm. I'm planning on unlocking the gates then so we can use the small car park. [COLOR=Orange]Please don't try and turn right into the car park as the entrance is on a really dangerous bend - go up the road a bit more and turn around so you can turn left instead[/COLOR].
I'm not staying Friday night but I'll be back around 9.15/9.30 Saturday morning, stay Saturday night and aim to have everything packed away and leave by around 3pm on Sunday afternoon.

If you want to get on site before I'm there that isn't a problem. There is parking for about 6 cars at Cardies Bridge (bottom end of the wood).

If you get asked what you're doing by members of the public don't be offended just explain. If they still have a problem ask them to come back on Saturday or Sunday when I'm around and I can sort out any issues. Or even better, invite them to join in.

I'm hoping for a fun relaxed weekend where we can do some talking and work out a way to take things forward - I'm also aiming to enjoy myself so look forward to seeing you all over the weekend.

Have fun

Mike

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi Toddy,
I'd like to attend if poss.
Probably arrive Sat about 11:30am if thats ok.
And if I can I'd like to stay over Saturday night (maybe in my magikelly sleep system :D )
I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of skills to help others but theres lots I'd like to learn.

Looking forward to it, hope the weather is ok :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
I should still be there but might have my girls with me so may not be staying over. Will depend a bit on the forecast.

Is there room to pitch a 4.5m diameter Tipi?

Not immediately at the pond site.....unless we clearout some hawthorns :confused: Maybe a little further over, I must admit I was looking at the site from the bivvi, hammock and small tent, point of view. There's certainly room among the big pines next to the river though. :) Be good to see the girls there too, it's nice site.

M

wildrover said:
Hi Toddy,
I'd like to attend if poss.
Probably arrive Sat about 11:30am if thats ok.
And if I can I'd like to stay over Saturday night (maybe in my magikelly sleep system :D )
I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of skills to help others but theres lots I'd like to learn.

Looking forward to it, hope the weather is ok :)

No problems, be good to see you there, there'll be folk on site and it's as much a chance to meet up and see what everyone is doing as it is to teach or show off stuff you've made :)

Weather looks as though it might be damp :( , might even snow on the Thursday....the long range looked good last week, too. Ah well, we'll see.

Cheers,
Toddy

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Sorry folks i'm not going to be able to make this one,just had a phone call from the boss and i'm having to work :cussing: :censored: :banghead: :tapedshut that about sums up how p*****d i feel. Anyway hope you have a great weekend,remember to take lots of photo's so we can see what we missed.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nay luck Stuart. :(
Won't be long 'till the next one I'm sure. :)

I've just entered the digital camera age so I'll mind and take plenty of blurry underexposed shots(I've been praticing, lol :rolleyes: ).

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Im very tempted, could do with some fresh air! Could I be pencilled in as a possible? If I make it I'll be staying for the duration :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Long range weather forecast,
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX0583.html

Not bad, not bad at all, especially for February :rolleyes:

Ooh bad luck Stuart :( we'll "wywh" and post photos....the site is one I'm sure we'll be visiting again :) If you can get away though come and have a visit.

Jason if you can get here you'll be very welcome too.

Mike says he'll have the top gate unchained by 1pm on the Friday, and he'll see about some signage for the first visit, labelled "Brownlee Meet".

Short resume for directions. Find Garrion Bridge, cross the bridge and bear left. Go up the hill and take the road on your right to Law. The woodlands on your right are Brownlee. Drive up this road and turn around in the wide T junction on your right hand side to Carluke, and come back downhill to the double barred gate on the bend now on your left. This is the access to the hard standing for parking. Please try to leave the area in front and to the left of the gate free for folk to turn so that they can exit facing into traffic.
The clearest map I've found is Google maps, and type in Brownlee, you want the Brownlee Road, Law, ML8 map.
From the M74 turn off it's less than 10 minutes to the site.

Cheers,
Toddy

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Great stuff! Thanks Toddy :D Ive just managed to get permission off SWMBO couldnt persuade her to come though, soft southerner ;) just need to sort myself out now!

I'll bring a billhook or two if we're going to be doing some work. Just looked at your forecast link Toddy and had a bit of a shock until I realised it was in Farenheit, snow would be just too much to hope for, I dont know about everyone else but I'd love a bit of snow, its been far too long since I woke up in a snow covered tent :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
jason01 said:
........... Just looked at your forecast link Toddy and had a bit of a shock until I realised it was in Farenheit, snow would be just too much to hope for, I dont know about everyone else but I'd love a bit of snow, its been far too long since I woke up in a snow covered tent :)

oops :eek: , I just looked at the pretty pictures :D I'm so used to Celsius that Farenheit feels 'wrong' somehow.
http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/swscotland.html
and aim for Glasgow, might be better...though our bit of the Clyde Valley is always nicer than in town.

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if anyone is coming through lanark, there is a rather good surplus shop beside the railway station that is worth a look. i've found good stuff in there before and the prices aren't too unreasonable.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Hoping to get there on Saturday morning and possibly stay over till sunday, will have to see whether I can blag the whole weekend to myself.

Cheers

JFW

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry, Mary, but it looks like I have other committments that I can't get out of. So it looks like it's going to be a no-show from me too.

Hope you all have a great meet and no doubt see you all at the next one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi George, hope things settle soon, camping out's not funny when you're feverish and achy.

Doc, tell Ross we'll miss him too.....I'd even sussed out the perfect firepit for him :rolleyes: it'll be there when you do manage a visit through.

We'll see all you another time.

I'm heading up to Brownlee in a couple of hours, weather's looking good, and I want to be outside. Looking forward to this. :D

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE