Butchery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I am pretty sure that this has been covered in a previous thread, but being dog tired after a mind numbing meeting this evening, I can't be a***d to find it.
I have a good butchery book though - basic butchering of livestock and game, by mettler. I think I got it off Amazon and although it didnt cost the earth its quite a good little guide. I am sure others will have thier favourites too.

Fallowstalker said:
So now you've caught it.
Deer, wild pig, rabbit or fish, what comes next, and any photo's and tips?

Fallowstalker

Oct 1, 2005
Towy valley
Sorry to go over old ground, but I'm sure there would be loads of new members who would appreciate the subject revitalised.

Can you start us off with skinning a rabbit please?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fallowstalker said:
I've got some rabbit skinning pics (too late it seems), what about deer? :)

Not sure we could justify posting pictures of butchering a deer under the heading of "Bushcraft" - its not the sort of quarry you would happen across while out camping, sure we see them, but the need to butcher one is very questionable. Maybe a dedicated shooting forum would provide the information you require.

Ogri the trog

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Ogri the trog said:
Not sure we could justify posting pictures of butchering a deer under the heading of "Bushcraft" - its not the sort of quarry you would happen across while out camping, sure we see them, but the need to butcher one is very questionable. Maybe a dedicated shooting forum would provide the information you require.

Maybe not in the UK but surely it's as relevant to general bushcraft as fish preparation?

Kane

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Probably best if any posts of a graphic nature have a warning in the title though :)

Best rule is if you think it may cause shock/offence or anything other adverse reaction (bearing in mind the wide range of ages backgrounds etc) check before posting - PM or email is always an alternative way to pass the info

Kane

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I think this post is valid in this "fair game" forum, how else is a person to learn. What little skills I may have, were shown to me by someone else before I needed them. Careful we don't limit ourselves to a very narrow view of bushcrafting it's a big and varied world out there.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would hope that we don't have any members so daft that they would come into the Fair Game section, open a thread called "Butchery" read through the first page which starts with a question about how to field dress animals and then proceed to the next page if they are likely to be upset by seeing where meat comes from :rolleyes:

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Know what you mean but I've been on dedicated hunting forums where a thread has been labelled with a "Warning dead critter in pics" type of title and people have STILL complained - a wise man once said "Never underestimate the stupidity of people", course he may been a little daft himself!!

:lmao:

Kane

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE