BushMoot - how much stuff to bring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lottolearn

Mar 18, 2013
Oxford
Hey everybody,
I registered on this site about about 18 months ago and have been a regular reader but non-poster since then. Having missed the Moot last year, I'm really happy to say that I'll be attending this time with my lovely wife and (mostly) lovely boys who are 9 & 11.

Tickets are bought and we'll be attending from the 8-12th. One thing that's bothering me though, is just how much stuff to bring? My old dad used to love saying "any fool can be uncomfortable" and that's a motto which has which stuck with me for life. But, then you've got the hassle of packing the car and carrying it from the car park to a nice camping area. My idea of car camping is to fill the thing up to the brim!

Any tips from you experts as to what's an essential for the Moot and what can be left at home? I'm planning on tarping it, but my misses is not so sure, the kids will be in their own little pup tent.

So, any wise words on what's a piece of essential kit vs a frivolous luxury will be gratefully received.

Cheers
J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Best advice is to pack everything you would for a weekend's camping holiday with the family and you won't go wrong :)

Also consider a large tarp so you have an outside area for eating, and somewhere dry for the kids when it's wet and they back for the brief visits they'll be making for food :lmao:

Oh... and chairs are a real essential as well :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What he said!

Bring plenty of stuff that you can be independent and comfortable, then take the time to visit other folks camps to see what they use and think what adjustments you could make to your own kit for next year. If you have family in tow, it always helps to err on the side of maximum comfort - the site itself is generally dry, being on sandy soil, but if it does rain, you'll want some reasonable shelter and somewhere to store dry clothes etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just put the contents of my home (that will fit) into my van until the springs are flat and drive ...
Mind you most of the contents of my home are bushy - tarps, hammock, crafting tools and materials, a bit of clothing and a toothbrush... oh and food - lots of food - cause once I am on site I hate leaving for anything (even if shops are handy :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Last year I brought everything outdoorsy I had. It was a great epportunity for me to test, verify and rethink my gear. Not to mention the swap shop. So I pretty much replaced/exchanged my kit and went home with half of the load.
Bring all your toys. Excellent testing ground.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'm at the want of the 3G dongle as I trip up to sunny manchester on the virgin train, so my previous reply was lost, but I'll recap/add

Tarp - good for rain or sun shade - you'll need paracord/utility cord. You can buy on arrival so not to worry if you forget or don't get time to get out.

Chairs are a must. Especially comfortable.

Make an effort to make friends - you'll get a better idea of peoples gear. You can also try out some of the hammocks people have especially the imports and luxury models :)

Somewhere comfy to sleep - airbed/sprung mattress/hammock/ground matt - pick one (or more)

Knife (£14 mora is perfect, don't go all out, though you'll find plenty of sharps for sale at the moot as well from Moras to Dave Budds 30" "special"). If you've bought or are planning to buy a knife, get a good first aid kit (FAK). Don't bother with a Swiss Army Knife if you don't already have one.

A good folding saw - most people recommend laplander, I find it laplacking - the blade is too thin and easily bent. I used to have a wolfgarten one which was much better though admittedly heavier!

On the subject of Cutlery, the only note is Pink Sporks are the order of the day. Easily pocketable, bad at being either a fork, spoon or knife they do however have the redeeming feature of keeping big bearded bushcrafters away, similar to garlic and vampyres. Though it's not always known to work:
download.jpg

wigs55

Apr 1, 2014
Southport
I will be there for the first time also and was wondering about fire wood. Is there usually enough for everyone on site?
Love cooking on an open fire so dont want to run out.
Thanks.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I will be there for the first time also and was wondering about fire wood. Is there usually enough for everyone on site?
Love cooking on an open fire so dont want to run out.
Thanks.

We are not the only group to use the site so there's not always dry wood for the taking. In recent years we have had to "buy in" trailer loads of wood which is available for everyone - you just have to cut, chop and carry all that you want/use.

You are welcome to store a reasonable amount for your cooking and family needs but there are communal fires most evenings which are encouraged as many folk gathering around one fire reduces the burden on fire-wood generally.

If you want to cook on an open fire from the offset, you might be advised to bring some with you in case of rain at the site or difficulty in sourcing dry wood quickly.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm at the want of the 3G dongle as I trip up to sunny manchester on the virgin train, so my previous reply was lost, but I'll recap/add

Tarp - good for rain or sun shade - you'll need paracord/utility cord. You can buy on arrival so not to worry if you forget or don't get time to get out.

Chairs are a must. Especially comfortable.

Make an effort to make friends - you'll get a better idea of peoples gear. You can also try out some of the hammocks people have especially the imports and luxury models :)

Somewhere comfy to sleep - airbed/sprung mattress/hammock/ground matt - pick one (or more)

Knife (£14 mora is perfect, don't go all out, though you'll find plenty of sharps for sale at the moot as well from Moras to Dave Budds 30" "special"). If you've bought or are planning to buy a knife, get a good first aid kit (FAK). Don't bother with a Swiss Army Knife if you don't already have one.

A good folding saw - most people recommend laplander, I find it laplacking - the blade is too thin and easily bent. I used to have a wolfgarten one which was much better though admittedly heavier!

On the subject of Cutlery, the only note is Pink Sporks are the order of the day. Easily pocketable, bad at being either a fork, spoon or knife they do however have the redeeming feature of keeping big bearded bushcrafters away, similar to garlic and vampyres. Though it's not always known to work:
View attachment 31462

That will cost you £5 to charity for using the image!

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
Last year I brought everything outdoorsy I had. It was a great epportunity for me to test, verify and rethink my gear. Not to mention the swap shop. So I pretty much replaced/exchanged my kit and went home with half of the load.
Bring all your toys. Excellent testing ground.

Hey Big-M, you mentioned the swap shop, I hope to attend for the first time this year, and was thinking of bringing along some stuff, what kind of things can you swap or sell?

Cordhound

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hey Cordhound. Last year there was all sorts of stuff from webbing kit and knives to camp beds. I think you just mark them and the team sells them on your behalf taking a bit of a commission. That said it will be my first time moving stuff on there this year. I await being corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I understood commission is in fact 10% AND you take a turn manning the table.

Traders day commission is also 10% by honour.

If I remember rightly it's a 10% on the bring & buy, with no obligation to man the stall (though volunteers would I'm sure be welcomed!)

I sold a load of stuff last year, from knives to pouches, fire lighting stuff, mess kits etc etc.

People also sell books, tools and anything else bushy really!

Last edited:

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
Thanks again for the info, I will dig out all the stuff unused in the garage, my only concern is shifting it from the car to the moot!
Countryman I will follow your lead👍
Thanks again folks, I look forward to making all your acquaintance 😀

Cordhound

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE