Bushmoot food ideas...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can you suggest some easy meals to prepare at the moot, preferably ones that do not require me to bring a fridge.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Battered fish as mentioned in another thread would be good. Start cooking batches of proper chips and you won't be short of friends either.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Instant mash and bacon grill, Noodles and spam, both with or without grated Italian hard cheese, noodles and pepperami, weatabix mixed with either water or powdered milk and dried fruit. Canned beans and sausages, any number of canned curry's, and I think Tescos and Sainsburys stock the look at what we found meals that many people like, also look for the small bags of bread or pizza base mix in Sainsburys, they only need water and can cook like bannock, mixing in the bag saves making a mess.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Dried food - just add hot water. Pasta and a jar of pesto ... mmm. biscuits, mints, bread in a tin (will bring to toast, if I can work out what day I'll be able to join) to see what it's like as it's a new thing for me. Back up bread mix to try the 'cook by foil' method. Onions, fresh - go with anything. Maybe a pack of long life sausage. Beans. A little rice. Packets of tuna. Tube of tomato puree. Olive oil. Salt&Pepper. Tin of syrupy sponge cake and packet soups. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As a general comment about foods to all Moot-goers;

Resupply runs are common enough - if you are going, shout to anyone that might need something; catch a lift with someone else or offer a written list (with pre-payment plus a bit for fuel money) to anyone who shouts out.

We may be trialling the purchase and resale of simple vitals (milk, bread etc) but it is another task to fit into an already full list of activities for the staff - feel free to pitch and help where you can.

Meals can be a great communal social experience if several people/families/groups join in together.

We also have a hangi meal on the last evening of the general Moot (often the tuesday) but it is meant as a "taster" rather than supplying a whole meal for every camper.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Well we have a few things already for it. We have some left over Haggis that we had at our local meet in April.....cant believe it was left over though!!! ...., we have a tin of corn beef for corn beef hash, spam to have spam fritters. Other things like gravy granules and instant mash.

That will only be for a few nights so some boil in the bag meals will be thrown in as well.

Oh and sweets...plenty of snacks. :)

Bushwhacker - Yep there is but it is hidden well in the woods.... ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As the Trog said food runs are common, Tesco is only three or four mile away so whats with all this dried and canned food nonsense?

Those of you going have a great opportunity to try new recipes and swap idea's and perhaps meals with each other; your not on some hard hike where food = fuel, make your food prep a key part of the day :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE