Bushmeet advice/help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi folks,
In a fortnight I'll be attending my first get together with a few people from here.What I need to know before I make a fool of myself is what do I take and what do I do?
I know what I need to live comfortably in the woods on my own.Do I need to take food for the communal pot,or do I cook for myself?
I realise that if I want to sit at the fire I'll be expected to build and keep it going,Is there a pecking order for who goes first to cook ?or does it all just fall together?
Is it O.K. to take stuff to trade?
Is it O.K. to offer demonstrations on what I know or is that being too forward?
Any help wwill be greatly appreciated,the people I'll be meeting seem to have been to a good few get togethers with each other and I don't want to offend through not knowing the right etiquette.

Thanks

Sapper

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Thanks guys great replies.
Spamel do I need to take a fridge and genny or is a cool box better?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi folks,
In a fortnight I'll be attending my first get together with a few people from here.What I need to know before I make a fool of myself is what do I take and what do I do?

Just bring your regular gear, you may make a fool of yourself, but that's ok, we are all fools at the South Wales Meet

I know what I need to live comfortably in the woods on my own.Do I need to take food for the communal pot,or do I cook for myself?

Just bring your own food and stick it on the fire,

I realise that if I want to sit at the fire I'll be expected to build and keep it going

Only if you build your own, we usually have a communal fire, but feel free to stock up with wood for the communal

,Is there a pecking order for who goes first to cook ?or does it all just fall together?

It all just falls together :D

Is it O.K. to take stuff to trade?

Most definately, John Fenna's shop opens regularly, like a Frontier trade gaff!

Is it O.K. to offer demonstrations on what I know or is that being too forward?

If you feel the need, crack on, but, as it's your first one, why don't you chill and get to know everyone until you feel comfortable enough to offer. No rush, we do this regular like.

Any help wwill be greatly appreciated,the people I'll be meeting seem to have been to a good few get togethers with each other and I don't want to offend through not knowing the right etiquette.

You'd have to really put effort in to offend anyone of the South Wales chapter, we treasure diversity and try not to take things TOO seriously. However, you'd be well advised to listen to Spamel's sage counsel!:rolleyes: ;) . Looking forward to meeting you 'round the fire!

Thanks

Sapper

Sorry if this reply is confusing, finger trouble!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, don't forget a lantern and a sand bag for those old war stories. You may find one or two ex-servicemen that yiou can have a good laugh with about your times in the mob. Youmay find one who is shortly off on his gardening holiday too, isn't that right Jed! ;)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Oh, don't forget a lantern and a sand bag for those old war stories. You may find one or two ex-servicemen that yiou can have a good laugh with about your times in the mob. Youmay find one who is shortly off on his gardening holiday too, isn't that right Jed! ;)

:D 7 working days Spam (no one has THAT long to do!) But Sappers got nothing to worry about, i can't tell anyone what I did!;) :aargh4: :rolleyes:

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
No need to refrigerate it wont last long enough to get warm.

For what its worth just be yourself, the learning thing is a two way street even for our most experienced brethren. No reason why not to take trade goods just remember its not a car-boot sale. As for what you are expected to do just pitch in offer help where necessary and dont be afraid to ask.

Pothunter.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just enjoy yourself mate, I'll be the tall english one (Most of the welshies are short, eh Jed & John:D !) with a growing bold patch.
If you want you can bring some bbq type meat stuff we're bound to have an all in type of thing, I'm planning on having a small hangi if you want to join in!
Anyway see you there pal.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
(Most of the welshies are short, eh Jed & John:D !) with a growing bold patch.

I am of regulation height, a Yorkshireman with a full head of hair. Your's is more a receeding hair line is'nt it Greg? When did you notice it starting to receed? When it took you longer to wash your face?:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have yet to see Greg wash......What have you got for trade.....always interested in trades....I have to bring my transit size van to meets.....
Bring food and booze - oh and a raincoat.
It always rains when I go on a meet!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'm over 6 foot tall and dont have a growing bald patch it's already fully grown.As for you being english Greg I won't hold that against you .
For trade I have all sorts of stuff I'll bring what I can.
For food to share I'm afraid it's going to be sausages and chops,I'll see if I can fit in a large rice dish aswell.
HMMM! not a lot of room for beer now,I'm sure I can fit in some somewhere.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
One of these days I'm going to invite myself to a meet, I'm not much of a drinker, but love to listen, and learn.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The door is always open - coz actually there is no door....
Drinking is not obligatory, at least not under my parachute, but good humour is along with a love of the outdoors.
Age, gender, nationality, colour, race, creed - not an issue.
We even welcome the Sais.....:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE