Bushcraft Fishing - Best Technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
makes sense then.... I still like it

If you're doing it for survival then fine - good method. If you set the bait to just dip in and out the surcface it's called "dapping" - and if you have rod in hand then you'll stand a better chance of catching the fish as you can strike the hook home.

I think it's important to stress that unattended baited hooks are a danger to lots of wildlife (fish, fowl, otter etc.) and if you don't need the fish to survive should be avoided at all times please.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
ive recently invested in one of the tiny ,pen fishing rods, it looks like a big pen you pull the lid of and its a telesopic fishing rod the reel is tiny brilliant bit of kit to have in the bergen . takes a while to get used to the tiny reel took it out for the first time the outher day with no luck but i expect a lil perch to feel like fighting a shark lol.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
For a simple set up for trout when fishing in the lakes and i use a bubble float and either buzzers (imitation midge larvae used in fly fishing) or bait such as the garden worn/maggot etc. Worked a treat..
A bubble float is a small plastic ball type float that you fill with water to about 1/2 or 3/4 full and hey presto enough weight to cast a fair way and when in the water looks just like a bubble so probably pretty natural.
T. Keep an eye out at aldi or lidl they sell telescopic rods and reels for about £15 more than good enough to get you going. I got some for the canoe and use these now more than my "good ones". You can even spin with these. I would also probably get a few Mepps spinners as these seem to be good for trout too.
Just be aware though that much of the gear for fishing is designed to catch the angler rather than the fish.......

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Perhaps it would be wise to point out to anybody intending to make and use one that the use of or possession of with the intent to use is illegal in the UK.
As a Sect 5 Offence under SAFFA it is punishable by Magistrates Court to a maximum fine of £5000 and if referred to Crown Court a term of Imprisonment of upto 2 yrs and an unlimited fine.

Don't want to be a kill joy but I think people need to know that if you are found in possession of one of these or similar in the vicinity of fresh water the onus in law is on you to prove your innocence rather than the Police or Water Baillif proving your guilt!

There's nothing to stop handlines being used in coastal waters as long as you don't land any Salmon, Sea Trout or freshwater species in inland waters. Also don't leave it unattended as then its classed as a "Set Line" and illegal!

So if you wish to fish with anything other than licensed rod and reel....... take a trip to the coast, don't take Salmon or Trout and don't leave it unattended and...Bobs yer whatsit...you're fishing!

More information can be found here:

Angling and the Law by Peter Carty & Simon Payne (£27)
published by Merlin Unwin Books
Palmers House
7 Corve St, Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 1DB

Peter Carty is a partner in Simon Jackson Solicitors, a leading firm on matters of Angling Law and Simon Payne is Senior Lecturer in Environmental Law at the University of Plymouth,

Hope this helps!
ISBN: 1873674309

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I didn't realise that water bailiffs had the right to detain and search a person.... so unless you get caught landing a trout (I'm assuming photographic evidence would bee needed in this day and age, at least)

who's going to know eh?

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
who's going to know eh?

It never ceases to amaze me that not only do people take the risk of being caught doing something illegal, they then post evidence of themselves in the act on forums!
There's more than one person been prosecuted on the strength of evidence they themselves posted on the Tinterweb! :dunno:

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
who's going to know eh?

I just asked a question, didn't say I'd been poaching did I? lol

I live on a small Island (Holy Island, off the coast of Anglesey) handlines have been a way of life over the summer since I was a kid, granted there is nothing wrong with it the way I fish- from the coast a boat, I just don't like seeing such a harmless (unless you're a fish of course) technique being demonised as it isn't generating a revenue for the treasury.....

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Wasn't accusing you mate, sorry if you thought that..and I'd be the last one to demonise the old hand reel as I caught my 1st fish with one as did my lad. I always keep a couple of the cheap plastic ones rigged up in my tackle box and regularly give them away to people at the lochside or shore to encourage others to fish!

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
All friends here!! :)

that's what I like most about this forum, people can pipe up a voice, and not kick off a mad flame war- its all about what you know, and sharing the wealth :)

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
i made the mistake of asking about fishing on a fishing forum and it all got too complicated.

That's probably because you are asking a meaningless question. It's like going on to a golf forum and asking which club is best, or a car forum to ask which car is best.

The answer, in all cases, is "it depends".

As far as fishing is concerned, your best tactic on any particular day will be influenced by all sorts of factors - where you are fishing (river, lake, sea), what type of fish you are targeting, time of year, water temperature, fish feeding habits, bait availability... all manner of things. It's like any other type of hunting - you need an understanding of your quarry species, and once you have that the rest will fall into place. It's not about rigidly deciding on a tactic and following it regardless - it's about presenting a bait (or artificial) in the right place, at the right time, in the right way.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The hardest bit is finding the fish. When I was a kid I had started out with a cheap 6ft spinning rod and cheap reel from Woolies which I used to float fish from - and I regularly trounced the tackle tarts on our local pond primarily becuase the rod limited my casting range and it seemed all the big tench liked to patrol the margins. The tackle tarts were casting to the middle and beyond and netting the odd silver.

If the fish are there and they're hungry they will eat - the problem then is bringing them in. It is perfectly possible to have a general setup that will definetely catch fish - in danger of repeating myself but..this is my holiday/travel setup (obviously I supplement other stuff if I have the room):

a cheap (£25-£30) front drag reel (diawa, shakespeare, shimano - whoever, try the askari catalogue - they're all made in the same factories)
with - Two spools of line (most modern reels come with a spare spool) one at 4lb, one at 12lb should cover off all but specimen fishing
a 10ft multipiece/telescopic travel rod (£30-£80). (carbon fibre preferably - but don't be put off fibre glass if money is an issue, thousands of fish have been caught on fibre glass before carbon fibre came along )
a folding landing net
telescopic handle
some floats (one bubble, one peacock quill, one stick and a couple of crystal wagglers of varying weight capacity)
Float adapters (quick change silicon doobries)
some tungsten putty (this will double as weights or leger)
assortment of weights (not lead)
some wire traces
assortment of swivels
couple of spinners and lures (one small one medium - dispose with the treble hooks and replace with large singles to amke your life easier)
discorger
locking forceps
long nose pliers with wirecutters
knife
knotpicker
a small spool of 2lb hooklength
a small spool of 8lb hooklength
Assortment of barbless hooks, sizes 18-10 - pre tie these onto 10 inch long hooklengths (some venues have banned barbed hooks so I don't bother with 'em anymore)
Small reflective seat mat
knee pads
An old towel
Small tin of sweetcorn
1 pepperami (never cuaght 'owt on it and always resort to eating it myself)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Firstly thanks to all the helpful tips and ideas and thanks for the links to other threads on the forum. i have taken from these and come up with what i feel best fits my idea of bushcraft fishing.

which is small, versitle and travels well and catches fish to eat.

IE Not the below
powawalker-vwd.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE