Bushcraft Fishing - Best Technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
You use a plummet.

Attach a sliding float to the line and a weight heavy enough to drag the float under on the end.
Chuck it in.
If the float goes under increase the depth.
If it floats, decrease the depth.
Keep adjusting until the float tip is showing and there's your depth.
Do this at a number of spots to find changes in the contours of the river/lake bed.
Gravel bars or gulleys are better fish holding areas.

thanks for the explination. spot on :)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
This had me wondering the other day, I used to be a keen angler but for the last two years haven't bothered buying a license so haven't fished. I'm going to get one again this year but I was wondering, when people hobo fish do they have a license?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
This had me wondering the other day, I used to be a keen angler but for the last two years haven't bothered buying a license so haven't fished. I'm going to get one again this year but I was wondering, when people hobo fish do they have a license?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

If you mean hobo fishing as in handlining. It is illegal in this country.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Whatever you decide please make sure you get an appropriate licence. Game or Course. You can get a day licence if required and it doesn't cost much. If you're after migratory trout you'll need a game licence.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
You should have a licence for hobo fishing, but i doubt most ever do. I think a lot of folk use a hobo kit to see if they could "just in case", not as a permy set up. But either way, they should have a licence yes.

Still, where's the fun if its not illegal?? its not like youre gonna need one when it all goes belly up! :lmao:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you're going to do it - please do it properly - Get a 6ft telescopic rod (it will pack very small), some seven pound line, a small spinning reel, an assortment of spinners and floats some lead free weights or putty, 4lb hooklengths, some size 14,12 and 10 hooks and a licence plus appropriate day ticket.

If you're fishing for survival than I'd be setting baited multihook deadlines and wicker fishtraps (which will also catch crays).

BTW. You also need a licence for catching crayfish

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Bushcraft fishing is not to use rod to my mind. One good way of cathing fish easily and efectively is to do like this:
You need a river!
You need a looooong stick... Like 9 feet ir so.
All you need from home is some line and small hooks.
Catch some bugs or grasshoppers.
The way you do this is very simple AND effective! The stick you prepared should be long enough to reach out at least a meter into river. You stick it in a ground on about 60 percent angle, line should be just long enough to reach water. You put your bait on hook. The secret is here: your setup should work in a way, that you would not need to stay there fishing. Good stick and line length combination should give the effect of bait being on the very suface of water and moving with current, then springing back again, landing, floating, springing, landing, floating, springing................ What are the advantages of this technique? If you get it right it needs less stuff even than hobo fishing, it's definetly MORE effective as you leave it to be and BIG fish comes to investigate. Is it legal????? God knows people, to me it's the same as leaving your rod on the bank of a river.... Buts it is the best way to catch all kind of white fish, trout and so on without all the equipment..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE