Bushcraft Fishing - Best Technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

Just looking at trying my hand at some fishing. After reading the net i found out its not as simple as buying a rod and putting a hook on the end and putting it in the river.

Was wondering what the best technique was for bushcraft fishing? Float, Spin or Ledgering?

Cheers
Tim.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
When Andy posts his advice in a thread like this, you just know it's heading for padlock city.

Seriously though, I prefer float fishing. Whether it is the most efficient, I have no idea. Most enjoyable though.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
spinning can be boring just keep chucking it in and reeling it in.......depends on the water you are fishing and what you type you are fishing for........my favourite is long trotting down a river .......i think the best night fishing has got to be on the ledger

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's dependant on conditions. It's about presenting a bait as naturally as possible in the water and at the right spot.

Freelining is my favourite. No end tackle except for a hook, this enables the bait to be presented naturally with the fish feeling no resistance whatsoever.
It's not always possible to do so though.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
ledgering is the way i was thinking of going down, i made the mistake of asking about fishing on a fishing forum and it all got too complicated. so thought i would come back to my roots on this one and ask here.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
i am guessing a Bushcraft style fishing kit needs to be versitle, works on rivers and lakes. so would one style work better on rivers to lakes?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
ledgering is the way i was thinking of going down, i made the mistake of asking about fishing on a fishing forum and it all got too complicated. so thought i would come back to my roots on this one and ask here.

You have to think about what purpose the weight serves. Is it for casting weight or to hold position in a running river?
Do you need the weight? If so, use the lightest you can get away with.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
i suppose it could depend on how much the lake is fished ..............if its a popular water then the fish arent stupid and may move towards the middle and you might need a heavy float or a ledger to get to them ........if youre fishing a river and going after bottom feeders like barbel then a ledger or swimfeeder would be better ........if you are going to float fish it after .....roach, perch, bream then you could try fishing about 4-6 feet deep to start with casting about a rod length out and letting it go down the river as far as you can easily see it.......thats long trotting......if you do try it id advise you to strike everytime the float moves a little strangely as alot of the bites will be very subtle

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
You have to think about what purpose the weight serves. Is it for casting weight or to hold position in a running river?
Do you need the weight? If so, use the lightest you can get away with.

if it was in a running river why would you not use a weight? i am guessing the faster the river is flowing the heavier the weight needs to be?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
if you have never been to the river before how do you know how deep its going to be? is it a estimate thing?

You use a plummet.

Attach a sliding float to the line and a weight heavy enough to drag the float under on the end.
Chuck it in.
If the float goes under increase the depth.
If it floats, decrease the depth.
Keep adjusting until the float tip is showing and there's your depth.
Do this at a number of spots to find changes in the contours of the river/lake bed.
Gravel bars or gulleys are better fish holding areas.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Plumbing-up-on-the-pole.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE