Bullroarer - Crocodile Dundee Style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Was clearing the house and Crocodile Dundee was on the box, first time the mrs had seen it :O but I remember it from when I was a kid, especially Mick making "a telephone call" using a Bullroarer, I just google'd it to find out what it was called, interesting to find out it was a real device used in the outback. Was just wondering if anyone here has made a Bullroarer? If so any recommendations for when I give it a go? Also, I'll be at the Summer Bushmoot if anyone has one to show me, etc.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm fairly sure Mors made one at the last bushmoot. I didn't see him make it, but I'm sure others would have. I've a feeling I saw Kevin (Fenlander) with one too, in fact I think I had a go. My memory's fading too fast!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It was great watching Mors dancing around with his:D
It's not as easy as old Croc Dundee makes it look.
Mors just used a piece of pine from B&Q. 1.5 - 2 inchs wide, 5mm thick or so.
IIRC the length is from the tips of yopur fingers to inside elbow joint with the string twice as long.
It's easier to swing it around your head horizontally rather than to one side like film.

Have fun

Mark

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
thats right mark it also had a 2' handle.

I've made a few of different shapes and sizes in the past. NIght waker if you want to look me up at the moot we could get together and make a few.

perhaps you might like to do some research and find a size and shape you would like to make and we'll have an experiment.

bring on the bullroarer shuffle

J*

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Nightwaker if you want to look me up at the moot we could get together and make a few. perhaps you might like to do some research and find a size and shape you would like to make and we'll have an experiment. bring on the bullroarer shuffle
J*
Would love to hook'up & have a go. Im staying at the Bushmoot for two days; Saturday & Sunday nights. Any ideas on how we'll hook'up?.. or shall I just stick Nightwalker to my forhead :p

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
We have two 'roarers' here, each made to a different length. They get used on Halloween nights and make a lovely noise. They are fun to use and easy to make.

Swyn.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Bullroarers2.jpg

Top one made from one wing of a broken Boomerang middle a piece from a bamboo cane and the bottom one some ply from an old wardrobe they're all loud and sound great in the woods

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Nice photo. jdlenton I forgot to record down your username before I set off to the Bushmoot, I didnt know who to look for :eek: I was hoping to hear the noise of a bull-roarer going through the woods one evening so I could venture off and follow the sound :)

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've made a few, which I've since given away (so no photos).
I used a fishing spinner shape, which worked without problems. You can have one ready within about ½-hour without rushing (depending on the size and ornateness, obviously); especially if you cheat and use a surform instead of flint.

Thin string/cordage is meant to be the trick; although I didn't experiment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE