"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
Red, if you are looking for big knife/small knife combos you might try contacting Abe Elias at Diving Sparrow Knifeworks. His Savannah and Savannah Jr. combo (top and bottom knife in this pic) are super!

dsc03038je8.jpg

If you are interested in something a bit heavier I'm sure he could work up something like the Walkabout 2 and a companion knife as he did here.

abeknives007kx4.jpg

He can be reached at: Kanew@hotmail.com

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I would have said talk to Singteck but he's back in Malaysia for a goodly time.

Leon-1 or Rapidboy, Longstrider or Topknot all do great leather work. I ahve a possibles pouch from Leon, a Laplander sheath from Rapidbou and some lovely tooled pouched (for my SAK and so on) from Topknot.

I would seek one of them out and tell em Red sent you ;)

Red

Looking at his work last weekend - you should really add MikeDB to that list.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice knives the large one in the bottom pic looks interesting what size is it?.

Simon.

J. J. Magnum

Feb 28, 2006
USA
JJ - what's the handle on the bottom 'walkabout' knife? Looks interesting.

Nice knives the large one in the bottom pic looks interesting what size is it?.

Simon.

Dougster, the handle is actually Natural Micarta. When I got that knife a couple of years ago I was amazed at the actual look of the handle, it was hard to tell if it was bone, wood or what. Abe does a beautiful job of finishing on his knives and his handles don't get short shrift. I think as this handle acquires more time in the bush it will take on even more character. Incidentally Abe can put just about ANY handle (natural or synthetic) material on your knife.

Soar, the Walkabout pictured is the prototype (and was his first work in A2; now a standard steel for him) for the models he is now producing. Dimensions are as follows:

Knife length: 11”
Blade length: 6 “
Handle length: 5”
Cutting Edge: 5 ½ “

The lessons learned after working with this design for a year were translated to the Walkabouts he now makes:

Walkabout 7
Overall Length: 12 inches
Blade Length: 7 1/4 inches
Steel thickness: 1/4 inch
Available steels:A-2 or o-1 tool steel (satin finish)
Grind: Flat Grind (others by special order)
Handle Material: Natural Micarta (others by special order)
Sheath: Full grain stacked leather sheath

Walk About 9
Overall Length: 14 1/4 inches
Blade Length: 9 1/2 inches
Steel thickness: 1/4 inch
Available steels:A-2 or o-1 tool steel (satin finish)
Grind: Flat Grind (others by special order)
Handle Material: Natural Micarta (others by special order)
Sheath: Full grain stacked leather sheath

More information about them can be found at: http://home.cogeco.ca/~aelias/walk_about.htm

Or, you can read my original post on the Walkabout at: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28780&highlight=Abe+elias

Before anyone gets suspicious, I have no connection with Abe's company beyond the fact that he is a friend who happens to make outstanding knives. I get no considerations or commissions on orders. I happen to believe that he is a relatively unsung custom knife maker that produces an excellent product (and is also a member here under the name of Canranger).

Thanks for your interest, I like my knives a lot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do like nice JJ - I'm not personally a fan of flat grinds but they look nice - the scandy looking one is nicer though (other than the blaze orange;))

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Let me think about it .....

Can somenone do me a nice plastic sheath to match?

And perhaps a chome plating for the knife?

(No) ;)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I just got this set from Stu yesterday :D

The large one is 6" full convex grind and the smaller has a 2 3/4" Full flat with a secondary bevel.
Both are 01 with green micarta scales, red liners and nickel silver fittings

DSCN4288.jpg

Both have tapered tangs both for aesthetics and to move the point of balance forward.

DSCN4287.jpg

I have had the pleasure of handling a few of Stu's creations in the past and i had complete confidence in his ability to finish the knives to an impeccable standard but this time i was the customer and what has impressed me most ihas been his ability to interpret and replicate the designs that i had in my head and turn them into reality.
These are exactly what i had in mind and his attention to detail and level of commitment to the project have been astounding.

Sheath will follow when i have time :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice - I ought to say the top one based on my earlier comments, but I am curiously drawn to the second one :eek:.

Don't like the sharp corner on the third one down so thats a no.

Hmm. First or second - thoughts anyone?

I'm really impressed by the work on RBs set by the way - rreally like that full convex on the big un - thats lovely stuff!

Hey - I didn't sell me knife but I won £50 on the premium bonds - reckon that'll cover it? :D

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Nice - I ought to say the top one based on my earlier comments, but I am curiously drawn to the second one :eek:.

Don't like the sharp corner on the third one down so thats a no.

Hmm. First or second - thoughts anyone?

I'm really impressed by the work on RBs set by the way - rreally like that full convex on the big un - thats lovely stuff!
The butt end of that second one down is quite similar to rb's butt end :rolleyes:

For me, between the first one down and the second, it has to be the second.

I know that this shouldn't be a deciding factor but is also a better shape to "cover" in Sambar, if that is still the idea.

Hey - I didn't sell me knife but I won £50 on the premium bonds - reckon that'll cover it?
:rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, why didn't you say so - I like the look of RBs butt :D

I'm not certain on the sambar. I like the look of it for sure. Its between that and Ironwood .....

What grind do you think for biter?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whatever floats your boat stu ;)

If we are going full flat can we do a tiny convex to sharp rather than secondary bevel?

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE