"Bruiser Knife"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we would need to make some changes ....

lose the guard as you say

Maybe change the handle shape a bit since it will have to be a 3 finger grip (I think we couldn't fit a full grip in?)

Clearly slimmer steel - 2.5mm?

narrower and sharper - hollow? full flat?

I'm thinkiking this would be a small game skinner (for which the bruiser would be too large), small utility knife, fine slicer, even eating knife......

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm well heres a picture of the sort of scale I had in mind. "Biter" with "Bruiser" :lmao:

Biter doesn't look quite right though.....need some inspiration here!

1398293082_fe7c20fba1.jpg

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Ohh Stu!!!!!

You have something there!

It may take me a year to save up, especially with the horrible exchange rate. But I want one of those. Maybe even the set.

OK with you Red? Since it is your design.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
What does anyone think?

Nice idea. I've been thinking about the same thing for some time - a full tang leuku coupled with a smaller full tang "woodlore" style spear-point for finer work. The reasoning being that you could partly eliminate the need for an axe but still have something to whittle with. Mind you my finances do not equal my imagination :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heck yes Weaver. They always take shape when stu interprets my crayoning don't they :D

The little one needs work though - its not right so far. I know what I want it to do but it looks wrong so far - any ideas? Longer blade? different shape?

It'll come to me but all input gratefully received - its working so far!

Red

PS - I know that feeling Dunelm :eek:. Its lovely to dream though - and it always look better when stu actually makes them happen :)

I'm going to try stu's idea of a down scale "bruiser" next

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres biter as a scaled down bruiser with the guard removed and the blade shortened

1398401902_ad81591a50.jpg

Better I think but still not quite there......

I'me thinking scandy or even hollow ground for biter......any thoughts?

Red

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
thoughts

What about a straight top edge to give more cutting edge on biter? Or a more Nessie style blade for biter.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting - an inward curve to the handle - could work on a 3 finger knife - lock the little finger under the end and wrap 3 fingers into the curve - neat.

Blade shapes are intersting thought moff8 - I nearly went for a wharncliffe shape or sheepsfoot but didn't consder a flat top line.....

Off to stick both together and have a look......................

(cheers guys)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I've re-christened the pair :) The large bruiser will be batoned so "beater and biter" ;)

Okay heres biter with a weaver style handle and a flat top edge

1398694170_4c0611c855.jpg

Its interesting. In manipulating the points I noticed weaver had elongated the drop point slightly - I like that!

I'm still not happy with the handle though......off to try some things

jump in if anyone has an idea how to make "biter" work

Red

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Well I've re-christened the pair :) The large bruiser will be batoned so "beater and biter" ;)

Okay heres biter with a weaver style handle and a flat top edge

1398694170_4c0611c855.jpg

Its interesting. In manipulating the points I noticed weaver had elongated the drop point slightly - I like that!

I'm still not happy with the handle though......off to try some things

jump in if anyone has an idea how to make "biter" work

Red
I do like that... It sits very nicely with "The Beater" I think.

It reminds me very much of a pattern my parents and I produced a few years ago, the P1, it was a very popular little knife... I'll dig out the pattern tomorrow.

There is an old review of it in a thread over on BB, am I allowed to link to it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep you can stu - love to see it!

Weaver - I do like that handle more - but, looking at it (sorry) I think I preferred just a little drop to the point :eek:

Any chance of that handle with a small drop on the point? :D

I'll show some of the others I've been sketching in a mo

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
There is an old review of it in a thread over on BB, am I allowed to link to it?

I'd like to see that.

The charity knife I did is, by all accounts, serving well for the finer elements of a gillie's life - it had a narrow handle and a 90mm blade - the choil helped get in close or a three finger hold for finer meat slicing.

BTW the Yew burr is stunning and hard as nails. Not nice for Stu to work but a joy to hold.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - heres a couple of other types I was fooling with

The Sgian dubh approach

1397893057_02fbd04276.jpg

A drop point with the "indent" on both sides of biter

1398866656_a41cad5940.jpg

I think a variant of a small drop with a gentle curve to the handle is looking favourite now though

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats closer weaver thanks - in fact - we've just re-invented stus P1 (or fairly close) :D

stu,

The handle shape of the P1 looks spot on. I have to say I would prefer to lose the little choil thingy and have just a shade thinner and longer blade. The blade I like most in that range is the one at 5 o'clock on the bottom of page 10.

If we could in some way hybridise that little beauty with the P1 and end up with a three finger version? Guess it couldn't really be done in antler though without bolsters?

We might be tending towards wood if thats the case.....I think beater and biter need to be a set and I'm not sure how biter would look in Sambar - its a bit big and chunky for such a wee knife.

What do you think?

Red

Love these discussions Red and of course the last one you did spawned the work of art which is your SM personal knife.

I admit that I have skim read this thread so may have missed something but:

Why the spear (or even clip) point on the larger knife?

I have a Leuku/ Puukko combo (8.25" Leuku) and for outings in a coniferous environment it is hard to see how this combo can be beaten IMO (in this country - for plantation camping, it's excellent). I have slightly reprofiled the handle of the Leuku to provide a deeper rear indent - this allows my small hands to grip the rear of the handle and provide leverage and "snap" to chopping tasks.

My experience in using the Leuku is limited, at best, but it is confined, at the moment to chopping soft wood and slashing very light branches (the dry kindling branches off conifer base trunks for example) all those tasks for which an axe is OTT - like a mini machete if you will. The puukko (3 1/2 inches) is excellent for finer work - when you get used to the fact that the point is off the axis of the knife - and here I applaud your design ethos.

Both blades are 3mm Carbon steel and, like I say, are excellent in the right environment. When I'm in a deciduous environment - then it's back to the knife/ axe combo.

Incidentally (mini hijack) the sheath for my Leuku/ Puukko is God awful! (plastic insert and all!) so I'm in the market for all you talented makers to make me a custom sheath, PM me please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE