Bow hunting in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks David.

Seems a fair test. Given an ethical kill zone on a red deer of 8" by 10", a 6" target is appropriate.

Interestingly the standard is similar to the DSC rifle test (4" at 100 yards prone) as the rifleman may take deer up to 150 yards, where the group could be up to 6".

Using my recurve, cedar arrows and shooting instinctive with no sights, I cannot reach the 6"@20 yards standard. When in regular practice I could probably do 10" or less. I reckon I need more practice/training, or failing that move to sights, or a compound.

I note that in the recent bowhunting poll not many chose the 'I would not bowhunt because my skill isn't good enough' and 60% said they would bowhunt. But maybe that was a self-selecting group of experienced archers.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am going to be a bit busy for the next couple of days, work :( :( ! I'll probably post some more on sat. I sort of remember seeing something about "la zone mortelle" on the site yesterday, meaning approx "the deadly zone" but no mention of the size of the said zone. Now I am not a hunter, but am I assuming correctly in saying the heart and the lungs are the main choice area for a rapid kill?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Doc

I think I mentioned it in anthother thread but a reserve owner in South Africa I know allways does a shooting test for determine the max distance people are allowed to shoot in his reserve. A recurve archer I know ended up with a max distance of <10yrds because again it was 9/10 and he kept being moved forward until he could do it.

So although I admire and respect traditional archers (it's alot more skillful to be consistent with a long bow than a compound) I would only ever use my compounds fitted with pin sights and even then beyond 25 yrds with adrenalin pumping etc - no way would I dream of taking the shot even though on a field shoot I'm consistently killing 3D's at 40 yrds.

David

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I note that in the recent bowhunting poll not many chose the 'I would not bowhunt because my skill isn't good enough' and 60% said they would bowhunt. But maybe that was a self-selecting group of experienced archers.
But that was a badly worded poll. If it had said I would not bow hunt until I was of a proficient standard. Then alot more people would have ticked that box.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
just a few more bits of info. I spoke to my sister in Bordeaux, her neighbour's boyfriend is a bow hunter, at least she thinks so. She will speak to him tomorrow, and hopefully I'll get more direct info from him. :D
So far the only restriction on the bows seem to be that: the string must be over 95cm in length; automatic releases are forbidden. That's all I have found so far. Traditional bows are allowed, I found some for sale. I found an article that states, dont' buy french bows, reasons given: far too expensive, the guy uses American made bows, recurve and trad. I have found nothing against home made bows, so far, there might be, but I have not fount it.
Arrows minimun weight of 30grams, the point must have 2 cutting edges 40mm long each, and the point must be within a 25mm diameter circle, I assume this means the 2 back edges of the point must not be more than 25mm across.

All arrow must be permanently marked with your hunting permit's number; if only one arrow not marked your are illegal and liable to prosecution. :D

I have just found a page in the official French Federation where they give instructions and advice to impecunious french wannabe hunters :D So that means homemade equipment is acceptable as long as the few requirements are adhered to. :D :D
I saw the minimum weight required but I lost the page :eek: I think its 45 to 55 or 60lbs for small animals and 60 to 75lbs for large animals suck as deer and boars but, I will double check.I have not yet found anything about costs. :D

I'll post any further info as I get them.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Keith_Beef said:
That sounds like the Festival du Couteau, in Nontron, Dordoyneshire.

Great event, I've been every year for the last few years.

As for bow hunting in France, a magazine called "Charc" was started up last year by Crépin-Leblond, also the publisher of a knife magazine called "Excalibur" as well as a number of books on hunting, historical and collectible firearms and militaria, and military history.

I managed to get hold of issue two from a kiosk, but then moved to the US and haven't seen it since.

Somebody in France might be able to get hold of a copy and send it over to you.

K.

That's right Keith-beef. I thought it was a super festival, and showing a big difference in attitude between French and British people regarding knives and weapons generally. Can you see it happening here???Would the town be surrounded by riot police and the army? :lmao: not mentioning health and safety, risks assements and such like legislation :( .
I can see the french maire doing his health and safety inspection: oui, must do ite, say la loi, ness pas? then go for a little stroll in town, stop here and there to have a pastis with his mates, and then say, oui set bien pas de problems, pas de risque, allez! on ny va :) ok rant over now :D :tapedshut

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I have not managed to speak to my sister's neighbour yet.

It seems to be that to be able to bow hunt in France:

First you must joint the French Federation of Bow Hunters.
Second you have to have a Permit de Chasse. (hunting license), that I think is just a question of asking for it, and pay whatever the fee is.
Third, you have to pass the three parts practical exam.
Fourth, I think you have to belong to a club, but I am not sure on that one.

Then you have to comply with whatever rules have been designed for your equipment, but that does not seem very difficult at all, making your own equipment being acceptable.
I found nothing about being able to use either bone or stone points, so perhaps that's illegal there.
Nothing about costs yet. :D

I'll ask my contact for confirmation of the above. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE