Bow hunting in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Cos I am french :D , I have had a look at bow hunting in France. It is actually legally allowed to bow hunt in France :) Tha'ts the good bit :D

The bad bit is that, like everything in France, it is legislated to death! Well not to death :rolleyes: , because it is allowed!!! Everything is regulated, from the obligatory training you MUST have to obtain a necessary hunting license, to the bow your using, the arrows for weight and the hunting points you can use, the size and type of fletching etc...

If anybody is interested, I can do a bit more looking into and some translating( what I am letting myself into :rolleyes: :D )

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
torjusg said:
Is it allowed to use stone/bone/antler points there?
To be honest, Torjusg, I don't know yet. I have only just looked and found info about it this morning. I will look at it a bit more.
I know the French are as interested in bushcraft as we are, because 2/3 years ago I went to see my brother and found a Knife Festival (they had actually closed off the town centre and charged people to get in the town centre, stalls everywhere selling knives, axes etc, forging in the streets, bushcraft, that sort of thing).
They had people there practicing bushcraft and sellling stuff, atlatls, deer sinew and the like, people walking around in the street, (not a copper in sight) with bowie knives on their belts!!!
I vaguely remember my sister telling me the boyfriend of a friend of her was bowhunting, but so far that's all I know. :D

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The reason for the legislation is to help ensure clean ethical kills.

I expect you'll find that the preference is a high piundage bow (pref compound) with heavy arrows (to provide enough momentum for a pass through).

All these things are good things and the French goverment should be patted on the back to ensure that this remains a responsible activity.

I bet you'll also find that it is expensive.

BTW I'm moving this thread to Fair Game - as it really would be best there.

I for one jojo would be very interested in your findings

david

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Moduser. Thanks for the message. I was in no way critising the reasons behind the legislation, simply indicating that like with everything in France, there are a lots of legal hoops to jump through before you are let loose, so to speak. :D
I think its perfectly right to have to pass a test and to be assessed to have a good level of competence, rather than banning something outright. Anybody hunting with a bow should be in my view a highly competent bowman.
Personally, I would not do it because I have not got the experience I think necessary to take the lives of animals in this manners. Also I would not want to do it for "sport".
This could become an interesting thread :rolleyes: Joel

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I don't agree on the legal matters. I consider it my right to hunt with a bow, without paying money. If they want to put me on a course for free; fine, but I refuse to pay any money for it.

To my belif, the hunting with bows was banned in the beginning of two reasons:
- By making it illegal to hunt with it, they removed the incentive of keeping a bow. In time, taking away the common knowledge of how to make such weapons took away a fine weapon in poacher and rebel's arsenal.
- Weapon producers think it would be "bad for business" if you could hunt with homemade weapons.

Learning how to make a clean kill isn' that hard. You just need to limit yourself to the range you are comfortable with. In my case: Less than 15m. :eek:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
:eek: Pleeeeease....Don't shoot the messenger! :D I was talking for me personally at this moment in time. I suppose ,any governement have to legislate. That's what they are there for, aren't they :confused: Triying to keep some semblance of civilisation.
Having a licence or whatever, having to pass tests does not make a person experienced or competent..
Take driving. People have a few lessons, pass their test and, hey, presto they think they are racing drivers!!!!There are plenty of dead ones out there :( . I am sure its the same with a bow, any twit with money can buy the latest four-wheel-drive bow and hey presto, instant Rambo, ready to hunt...
To be able to get to within 15 metres of a deer for example, now, in my eyes, that's skill :You_Rock_ A skill I would love to have, butstill have not got, and I suspect very few people in society have, (except in the zoo or the butcher's slab) :D And even the french test won't make someone a skilled hunter. I'll have a little rummage in the french site for what the test consist of and post it. :You_Rock_

Ho, and bow fishing is also allowed! :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Torjus, when exactly did the Norwegian government ban hunting with bows?

Also, it would be well for you to differentiate between your feelings for how things are done in Norway vs. how they are done in other countries. While you might object to being required to do this, or that, to hunt leagally in Norway, you do not have the right to object, on your own behalf, to any measure that the French government takes to regulate hunting within their own borders.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
C_Claycomb said:
Torjus, when exactly did the Norwegian government ban hunting with bows?

Also, it would be well for you to differentiate between your feelings for how things are done in Norway vs. how they are done in other countries. While you might object to being required to do this, or that, to hunt leagally in Norway, you do not have the right to object, on your own behalf, to any measure that the French government takes to regulate hunting within their own borders.

Jojo, that I can hit within 15m does not mean that I can get within 15m of a deer... :)

Well Chris, in a free-speech world we can all say what we want, can't we? In that matter I have the right to object to whatever rule I want, regardless of origin. But that said, my post was primarily aimed towards the Norwegian bowhunting system.

Bowhunting in Norway was probably not abolished solely on those reasons I mentioned as the bow had already gone out of regular around least a century later. That they banned it was a byproduct of banning all non-firearms weapons from hunting. Reason number two probably is applicable though. Just to make sure that the weapons industry's market was secured.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Just as well I have the day off today :D

FIRST INSTALLEMENT.

I got the info from the Federation Francaises des chasseurs a l'Arc. French Federation of Bow Hunters.
This is a very condensed version of the rules: so I take no responsibility for any errors that probably crept in in the translation :D

To receive the certificate:
To be a member of a club; to voluntarily acquire the necessary skills and knowledge, particularly about nature in general, hunting organisations with regards to the practice of bow hunting,etc, in addition to merely acquiring the knowledge to take the said exam!
The tests don't discriminate between "good" and "bad" hunters. The successful taking of the test proves nothing as to the proficiency of the candidate when said candidate is in the depth of the wood.

There is 3 parts to the exam and 2 levels of proficiency
1) theory test of 70 questions (multiple choice type exam)
Big game knowledge ie deer, boar etc
small game knowledge
other species, ie protected, regulated species etc
knowledge of habitats, search technique for injured animals, hunting dogs
more specific (pointed) questions
specific legislations
archery ie materials and shooting techiques, procedures and behaviour and attitude of candidate is taken into consideration.

The practical shooting:
fixed target shooting: 6 arrowas on 3 targets: 1)( boar, 3/4 rear view at 16 metres; deer, profile at 14 metres; hare, rear or full face view 6 metres; deer, profile at 10 metres from tree stand 3.5 metres high.

Mobile target
6 arrows on boar, profile, walking at 8km/h: 3 arrows at 8 metres and 3 arrows at 10metres.

DO YOU WANT ME TO CONTINUE? :eek:

Now I am no bow hunters but that does not seems too unreasonable to me.

French legalise gives me a headache :( I am going to have a rest! ;)
Joel

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
If there is more Joel, then yes please.

Also if your not a french speaker to they recognise certification from the IHEA or NBEF or other international education groups?

Thanks

David

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
moduser said:
If there is more Joel, then yes please.

Also if your not a french speaker to they recognise certification from the IHEA or NBEF or other international education groups?

Thanks

David
OK, the rest is concerned with what type of bows, arrow weights, size of fletchings and sort of points and size, that sort of thing.

what do the initials stand for and what sort of certification do they give? I cant see anything mentioned on the french site ans so I'll have to Email them to ask.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks JoJo. So far the requirements don't seem unreasonable (apart from the treestand requirement if you don't intend to use one). I suppose the big question is how much does it cost to get certified and where are you allowed to hunt.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Great stuff Jojo. :You_Rock_ I would be interested to know what equipment limitations they impose. I hope that translating them won't be too painful though!

I don't see myself ever getting over there to hunt, but it is more than interesting to know about.

OT
Well Chris, in a free-speech world we can all say what we want, can't we? In that matter I have the right to object to whatever rule I want, regardless of origin.

Most certainly it is a free speech world, however just because we can say whatever we like, it does not mean that it is always right to do so :) I just failed to see why anyone who is not French should feel that they have a right to travel to France and hunt for free, or even to have the right to complain that, were they to travel, they would be expected to pay something to be allowed to hunt. That seems a little unreasonable to me. Now, if you were French and/or lived in France, or if there was a bowhunting system in Norway and you had to pay for that, that would be another matter....complain away :D

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Chris

I think we have partly misunderstood eachother. Of course I don't think anyone should be able to go to France to hunt for free! I was more imagining myself as a French. Or as a Norwegian here in Norway for that matter.

Said in another way: I consider it anyone's right to hunt with weapons that they have made themselves, rather than having to buy them. I also don't think that there should be any additional requirements in regard to paying for additional education and rights compared to using a gun.

I do however, see the need for paying for the right to kill the animal if you don't own the land. Otherwise, there would be very little game around... :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I do apologise :eek: I read you wrong... I guess we do agree afterall:lmao:

I would be very sorry if, for instance, I lived in France, or the US, and was told that I could not hunt with an all-wood bow, and had to go buy a compound. As I say, I will be interested to see if Jojo can come up with further translations on the gear side.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
jojo said:
To be honest, Torjusg, I don't know yet. I have only just looked and found info about it this morning. I will look at it a bit more.
I know the French are as interested in bushcraft as we are, because 2/3 years ago I went to see my brother and found a Knife Festival (they had actually closed off the town centre and charged people to get in the town centre, stalls everywhere selling knives, axes etc, forging in the streets, bushcraft, that sort of thing).
They had people there practicing bushcraft and sellling stuff, atlatls, deer sinew and the like, people walking around in the street, (not a copper in sight) with bowie knives on their belts!!!
I vaguely remember my sister telling me the boyfriend of a friend of her was bowhunting, but so far that's all I know. :D

That sounds like the Festival du Couteau, in Nontron, Dordoyneshire.

Great event, I've been every year for the last few years.

As for bow hunting in France, a magazine called "Charc" was started up last year by Crépin-Leblond, also the publisher of a knife magazine called "Excalibur" as well as a number of books on hunting, historical and collectible firearms and militaria, and military history.

I managed to get hold of issue two from a kiosk, but then moved to the US and haven't seen it since.

Somebody in France might be able to get hold of a copy and send it over to you.

K.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi jojo,

what do the initials stand for and what sort of certification do they give? I cant see anything mentioned on the french site ans so I'll have to Email them to ask.

IHEA - International Hunting Education Association
NBEF - National Bowhunting Education Federation

Both have their origins in the USA but their education practices are the foundation of what is taught worldwide. Certainly here in the UK, the BBA - British Bowhunting Association - run their certification course based very much on these lines.

Rgds

David

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
David, can you tell me what is the accuracy standard required for NBEF?

Joel, it is all very interesting and if you have time to translate more that would be great. Encore, s'il vous plait. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE