Berghaus Cyclops II Vulcan Rucksack Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi

Just scored this pack, but would like some advice. I know it might sound a bit crazy, but does the internal aluminium frame set in the pack, have some curvature to it towards the top i.e. at around shoulder height? The reason I ask is that the one I have does, but my other packs have basically straight ally frames to them. Just wondering if this is how it should be, or bent through use? Thanks in advance.

Robbie,

I do'nt have a Vulcan, but I do use every week (for shopping) a Crusader; which, as I understand, is just an older model/design. My alloy frame conforms to my back so is 'bent' both vertically and across the shoulders; the later is due mainly to my retro-fitting a chest strap. My advice is to load it to its maximum volume and 'heavy', then wearing your normal outdoor clothing, pull all the straps tight, then go for an easy slow walk, perhaps with a climb over a stile or gate to 'throw' the load.

Bob.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Robbie,

I do'nt have a Vulcan, but I do use every week (for shopping) a Crusader; which, as I understand, is just an older model/design. My alloy frame conforms to my back so is 'bent' both vertically and across the shoulders; the later is due mainly to my retro-fitting a chest strap. My advice is to load it to its maximum volume and 'heavy', then wearing your normal outdoor clothing, pull all the straps tight, then go for an easy slow walk, perhaps with a climb over a stile or gate to 'throw' the load.

Bob.

Bob - cheers for the info. I have just loaded it up - and thought it must be "bent" to take account of "contour" of back/shoulders - as it pulls in nicely to shoulders with strap. I do need to get load right as you suggest - I think I overloaded my Munro, and whilst traversing a stile with dog, slipped and ended up in a heap on the floor!!! LOL
Do you think the sternum strap "evened" the load a bit? The fit of the pack seems ok. Was thinking that the size 3 might have been better - however pack was bought pretty much blind, and ended up being size 4. I am 5.11/6ft so I think I am inbetween size 3/4, but size 4 hip padding seem to fit nicely. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and only an extended hike will determine how it feels. I have to say quality of the pack is exceptional! Thanks again.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got the size 3 & at 5' 10" it just fits, so I think you did right getting the size 4, though I suppose torso length could play a part as well as height.

Rob

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
I've got the size 3 & at 5' 10" it just fits, so I think you did right getting the size 4, though I suppose torso length could play a part as well as height.

Rob

I think that the size 3 might have just been just a tad too small - I think getting the size 4 was more luck than judgement to be honest. I am liking the fact that there is not too much molle on it - I appreciate it is a military spec pack - but do like it without masses of molle on it.

Oh by the way - Robbie D, Sheepdog Bob, and woof (signed off as Rob) - looks like if you are named Robert then you must own a Berghaus pack on this forum????? LOL

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Oh by the way - Robbie D, Sheepdog Bob, and woof (signed off as Rob) - looks like if you are named Robert then you must own a Berghaus pack on this forum????? LOL

Lol, looks like the pack goes with the name then ! from this day forth all Cyclops owners will be known as ROB !.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE