Berghaus Centurio 45?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I've got a heavily modified British Army NI patrol pack, which I can attach PLCE side pockets to (ie. 35l + 10l x 2). It's fantastic, but it's just not quite large enough for my camping needs. I've also got a 90l Macpac, but that's overkill most of the time!

So I've been looking at the various 45l + pockets packs out there: Karrimor Predator and Sabre, Snugpack Rocketpak and Berghaus Centurio. The Predator looks really great but is silly money (even second hand), and the Sabre and Rocketpak don't have MOLLE webbing, which leaves the Centurio.

Does anyone have any experience with this pack? What's it's like without the pockets as a daysack; too large? Also, does anyone know how the main compartment compares with the NI patrol pack size-wise?

Thanks!

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I tried both the Karrimor Sabre and Berghaus Centurio. Sent them both back in the end. The Sabre was really uncomfortable to carry. The Centurio was really nice and I liked it a lot, but it was just a little bit too small for my needs (but that says more about me than the pack!). I'd go for the Centurio personally.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I think there is a Lowe Alpine Dutch Army Sting on ebay at the minute for about £35, very robust bag. They are slightly larger than you want but you can take the side pockets off to leave the main bag at around 55l. Also they have MOLLE and that stuff so you can always attach smaller pouches as suits. Might be another option as Johnnyboy1971 suggested.

Feb 19, 2015
UK
I bought a LA sting from Endicotts recently and really impressed. You can zip the sides up where the pockets would attatch to reduce the bulk/compress.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I went with the centurio 45, i tend to be a bit tight for space without the side pockets in winter, but it does have plenty of clip points. With the 2x10L side pockets it can handle my winter kit with ease @65L, i actually have a bit too much space like that.

The MMPS pockets also come with 'special' lashing loops that will weave into the molle, i have been finding using these straps and lashing my tarp + waterproofs to the kid molle leaves me with enough space to winter camp without the extra bulk of using the side pockets. At least that has been the case this winter, a deep freeze and you are probably going to want a monster pack anyway. They are the same webbing loops that comes with the PLCE pocket kit and Vulcan if you are familiar with em.

Bit late now as you have returned it but the modularity when combined with the 10L side pockets on that pack is brilliant.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE