Beef Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Mantic said:
Anyone have any recipes for beef jerky? Preferably cooked in a domestic gas oven.... Or decent suppliers? Jerky is cheap in the US but in the UK it's usually rather expensive.

Make a marinade using any combination of these :-
dark soy sauce
light soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
lemon juice
lime juice
nandos peri peri sauce (careful)
vinegar (cider or wine)
total of all about 100ml
that much again of water
1-2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp onion powder
2-3 tsp dried garlic powder
loads of ground black pepper
ground dried chillies

anything else that sounds yummy

stick the lot in a freezer bag with the meat. Put the meat in a piece at a time to mke sure the marinade gets to every piece. If ness top up with more water (or whatever) to ensure there is a film of marinade over the lot. Stick it in the fridge for as long as you like (I do 24 hrs). Then hang them on cocktail sticks on the rack in the oven as advised below (again I do this overnight)

One caution that I must give. Doing all this will not preserve the meat at all for any length of time. The longest Ive ever managed to keep jerky is about 3 weeks (scoffed the lot)

yes i prop the door - oven set low as it goes

No never dried beer but ive discovered a great way to filter out the water :)

Nick

Oh yeah sorry Fan oven nothing fancy

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Cheers Nick - I'll try your recipe - sorry to sound dopey - do you set the oven at 85 celcius for an hour and then drop the temp as low as poss, with the door ajar but for how long? Do you just leave it until the meat is dry but not brittle?

People seem to mention mince meat - is lean minced meat a possible?

Hee hee, I certainly flitered a fair amount of beer last night. Would have be great if I wasn't forced to get up at 04:00hrs with my daughter. Bah! I haven't slept for weeks! Scratch that....YEARS! :rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Mantic said:
Cheers Nick - I'll try your recipe - sorry to sound dopey - do you set the oven at 85 celcius for an hour and then drop the temp as low as poss, with the door ajar but for how long? Do you just leave it until the meat is dry but not brittle?

People seem to mention mince meat - is lean minced meat a possible?

Hee hee, I certainly flitered a fair amount of beer last night. Would have be great if I wasn't forced to get up at 04:00hrs with my daughter. Bah! I haven't slept for weeks! Scratch that....YEARS! :rolleyes:

Youve got it mantic, 1 hr high, then door open for as long as it takes. The thicker the strip the longer the drying time I do it for 5-6 hours sometimes longer, just keep an eye till your confident of timimgs, thats why I do it overnight so that SWMBO doesnt go off on one. Remember that the thicker meat strips will rehydrate the outside slightly after you take it out but the thin stuff just stays brittle (both taste ok though). Store it in a paper bag or wrap in in printer paper etc.

Babies keeping you awake - my advice is start drinking heavily - oh yeah you have!!

Beer filtering - piece if P""s if you ask me.

Nick

I have one of those big 6 ring cookers and found that having the fan on and the heat turned up no more than a warm breeze works really really well, it takes longer but can be worth the wait as it drys with out getting to crispy :)
though never ever do fish indoors if you dont like your house smelling like grimsby docks :eek:
nikg like the sallet,do you do tewksbury?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE