Beeech Nuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
My local wood is full of life at the minute.

Can anyone suggest how to use/eat berries from Mountain Ash/Rowan instead of the obvious jams. Can it be eaten raw for instance.

Also Beech nuts! Is there anything that can be done with them apart from making oil. But i would still like to know how to do that too.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beechnuts; If they're fresh just crack them and eat them :D
Rowans; I can manage a few but they're too bitter to eat many :yuck:

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Not sure if rowan can be eaten raw, but having tasted rowan jam made with only a small amount of sugar on hand, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to. The flavour is rather... extreme, shall we say... ;)

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
(beech nuts)
i finished the woodlore journeyman last weekend and the beech nuts were fantastic either by holding the branch over the fire or picking and heating up in a pot, they open up nicely alot easier to get at. then we just carried them at all times you could feel the energy rush as went through the week. really good they were great added to things just like pine nuts .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I picked free a handful of kernals yesterday, put them into a small frying pan and gently heated them until the oil started to grease the way, then added chopped mushrooms and syboes. Delicious on thin, crisp lightly buttered toast :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I had some yesterday

they taste great, a bit like hazels but very different

a pest to harvest though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE