Mushroom mix up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Hi king time no post after some changes in my life. So went to the woods to have a look around and saw some chicken of the woods but it was a bit past it and getting too hard. Some good mushroom spotting and got a good haul of field mushrooms - did a stain test on them in situ and and home and they didn’t stain yellow and smelled of mushrooms. So ate a little bit of one and waited 24 hours all good. So chop them up and start to fry them in some olive oil for mushroom pasta. One of them goes bright yellow and smells like I’m burning Elastoplast. Somehow two of the ones I’d picked were yellow stainer and I’d not checked every mushroom and didn’t notice it as I was slicing them. Made me realise I need to not assume that just because they’re growing next to each other that they’re the same. At least I didn’t eat it and popped the pasta into some tomato sauce instead. I’ve linked a photo to my twitter account as I can never work out how to post photos on here so you can laugh at my stupidity and these are them in the pan

Reactions: Stew

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
That's scary stuff if you didn't know.!!
Although they really smelled bad, like cooking old school elastaplasts or hospital cleaning stuff. Not sure how you’d actually eat them when they smelled like that, maybe if they were in loads of sauce you wouldn’t smell it? The overall mushroom smell masked them raw though

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Wow that's a great warning. Thanks for posting. A few years back I picked what I thought were edible, very minimal yellow staining, no discernable smell. I emailed a micologist and he said 'nope, yellow stainers'. I went back to them and put them in a plastic bag and had a good sniff - lo and behold the smell was unmistakable.
I just can't get my head around mushroom ID, it's like theoretical physics to me. I know there's a logic in there somewhere but damned if I can find it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I spotted a load of Yellow Stainers last week while walking the dog near Brampton (Cumbria) last weekend.
Initially thought they were horse mushrooms but when I picked one and bruised it yellow I so I left it with its mates.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE