Bartering what you got!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Eric_Methven said:
What a wonderful scenario for a novel. Mind if i borrow it ? Seriously! Eric

I think you will have to wait a while as it isn't written yet.

But if we wanted to develop the plot, structure the chapters, colour in the characters, and post draft chapters here then maybe we could write it together?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello abbe :)
cheers for the response, i agree with your statement, and it is well put, that "a person can't go twice through the same river". It wasn't my intention to present a fixed idea of how people are, rather present the possibility, that whether in times of peace or extreme stress, it would seem equally foolish to assume all are enemies, or all are friends, or indeed, as you say, that they may remain so.
I believe that everything, and everyone, is subject to change, in fact i'd go as far as to say change may be the only constant i can think of, and whether in times of stress or peace, as i said, i believe that is is those that can keep an open and flexible mind that will be best equipped to adapt and cope with the inevitable changes, either gradual or sudden.
Of course, we cannot possibly predict how we will react to a given situation, until we find ourselves in it, but i do think that the way we view our world has an effect on it, and the way we rehe@rse or prepare in our minds our responses to situations will have an effect on our behavior should those situations arise. I think if we only train for the negative, we run the risk of missing the posative, and as i said, we run the risk of becoming what we fear. I am fully aware of the potential negative side of human nature, including my own, and while the scenarios you speak of are entirely possible, they are not my sole focus. I just feel it is important to remember that there is always a balance, and always a choice, and i for one, hope to live my life well, whether in peace or crisis,and with my glasses tinted neither rose, or any other colour, if i can help it. :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
happy camper said:
hello abbe :)
cheers for the response, i agree with your statement, and it is well put, that "a person can't go twice through the same river". It wasn't my intention to present a fixed idea of how people are, rather present the possibility, that whether in times of peace or extreme stress, it would seem equally foolish to assume all are enemies, or all are friends, or indeed, as you say, that they may remain so.
I believe that everything, and everyone, is subject to change, in fact i'd go as far as to say change may be the only constant i can think of, and whether in times of stress or peace, as i said, i believe that is is those that can keep an open and flexible mind that will be best equipped to adapt and cope with the inevitable changes, either gradual or sudden.
Of course, we cannot possibly predict how we will react to a given situation, until we find ourselves in it, but i do think that the way we view our world has an effect on it, and the way we rehe@rse or prepare in our minds our responses to situations will have an effect on our behavior should those situations arise. I think if we only train for the negative, we run the risk of missing the posative, and as i said, we run the risk of becoming what we fear. I am fully aware of the potential negative side of human nature, including my own, and while the scenarios you speak of are entirely possible, they are not my sole focus. I just feel it is important to remember that there is always a balance, and always a choice, and i for one, hope to live my life well, whether in peace or crisis,and with my glasses tinted neither rose, or any other colour, if i can help it. :)

I agree with you mate, I agree. Its good to make a mental note of one fact and that is: Fear is not a good adviser! First we should calm down then we should act and be open how we are guided by peace. Martial Art is teaching the same principle, action without fear or any kind of mental attachment. I see Bushcraft in the same light; if I do it only because of Fear for the Future it would create a negative spirit capturing me, not setting me free. We will never know enough skills to give peace for our minds, if we are afraid of the future. Learning martial art only to be able to beat down a future attacker that might come or not will not help me either to become great in my skills.

First Peace of mind then the right action will come from self

Cheers
Abbe

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Eric,

come stay with me - I've tasted your cooking and picked your brains, the least I could do is offer you somewhere to pitch your tarp....

I like your idea of a contact strategy in the event of a total breakdown in society could come in useful even if it is only for a weekend drinking whisky and playing bodhran....

Cheers

JFW

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Abbe Osram said:
I agree with you mate, I agree. Its good to make a mental note of one fact and that is: Fear is not a good adviser! First we should calm down then we should act and be open how we are guided by peace. Martial Art is teaching the same principle, action without fear or any kind of mental attachment. I see Bushcraft in the same light; if I do it only because of Fear for the Future it would create a negative spirit capturing me, not setting me free. We will never know enough skills to give peace for our minds, if we are afraid of the future. Learning martial art only to be able to beat down a future attacker that might come or not will not help me either to become great in my skills.

First Peace of mind then the right action will come from self

Cheers
Abbe

100% true. First things first. A warm fire, a hot brew and some time for meditation. All that needs to come to you, will.

I am truly depressed by what most here have thought of my post do you all (no not all but most) think that you will live in the stone age forever come on get real if that were the case we wouldn't be were we are now good or bad everyone wants civilization to grow do you think your wife and kids really want to live out their life eating rabbits oh by the way if that is what you want to live on your already dead you will wast away in a few months time leaving your stuff for me to come by and pick up yes I am a survivalist what are you why are you doing what you are get a clue people we are in the same boat so to speak sure I would like to live as comfortable as possible wait till your out in the bush living in your leaky cold thatched hut that will change your mind after awhile I am impressed you have learned the skills needed to survive those are for the short term till you can make things better for yourself and others and yes the original post was to start a thread on bartering and trading as I have not seen a thread here and no one wanted to play along what are you going to do in the real world when you really are 1 year latter living on the land will you have crawled under a rock I don't think so all I really can say is most here have your EYES WIDE SHUT sorry for the original posting I can see most of you deserve what you end up with in the end your no better than the sheople you claim not to be how sad that I had to rant about this at all shesh I gotta shake my head people....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:welcome: :rolleyes:
Bill I've lived throught the "certainty" that the BOMB was going to wipe us all out; that Aids would remove humanity from the Earth like bacteria in a bowl of bleach; that our aluminium cooking pots were going to give us all Alzheimers; that BSE would have a catastrophic effect on us all; that Saddam Hussein was ready to attack the west with biological warfare; that Hurricane *whatever* would totally wipe out the South coast of the UK; that the melting icecaps would have our cities drowned by 1995; all of the brouhaha over Y2K.......WE'RE STILL HERE! and I'm not even 50 yet ;)

I am supremely confident that *if* disaster *did* strike then we would adjust, I know we are wasteful, I know that we are careless with resources and our environment but we are learning and our society is evolving. Millenia of European history shows just how savage society can turn and yet a few years later stability is restored. Anarchy is no one's friend.

Most people are on this list not as "Survivlaists" but simply because they perceive a need to get in touch with a bit of the heaven that is to be found in wild places.To plan and to prepare are very human acts that give comfort and a sense of security, but to be paranoid and fall into the Hollywood trap of escalating violence totally misses the reality of modern life.

Incidentally, the comment about your wife and her slave labour as being a commodity you would be prepared to trade is horrendously offensive.
Frankly sirrah, you are clearly pathetic husband material and if your latest rant is symptomatic of your usual posturing I'm very glad there's an entire ocean between us.

Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
Bill I've lived throught the "certainty" that the BOMB was going to wipe us all out; that Aids would remove humanity from the Earth like bacteria in a bowl of bleach; that our aluminium cooking pots were going to give us all Alzheimers; that BSE would have a catastrophic effect on us all; that Saddam Hussein was ready to attack the west with biological warfare; that Hurricane *whatever* would totally wipe out the South coast of the UK; that the melting icecaps would have our cities drowned by 1995; all of the brouhaha over Y2K.......WE'RE STILL HERE! and I'm not even 50 yet ;)

I am supremely confident that *if* disaster *did* strike then we would adjust, I know we are wasteful, I know that we are careless with resources and our environment but we are learning and our society is evolving. Millenia of European history shows just how savage society can turn and yet a few years later stability is restored. Anarchy is no one's friend.

Most people are on this list not as "Survivlaists" but simply because they perceive a need to get in touch with a bit of the heaven that is to be found in wild places.To plan and to prepare are very human acts that give comfort and a sense of security, but to be paranoid and fall into the Hollywood trap of escalating violence totally misses the reality of modern life.

Incidentally, the comment about your wife and her slave labour as being a commodity you would be prepared to trade is horrendously offensive.
Frankly sirrah, you are clearly pathetic husband material and if your latest rant is symptomatic of your usual posturing I'm very glad there's an entire ocean between us.

Toddy

Well said Toddy...........Lets all get on with our lives and enjoy the beauty that is around us and stop worrying because lettuce is now bad for you and the russians are comming etc. Crikey I really need to go and get some sleep

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Toddy, some of these colonial types don't seem to realise that there's another way and you don't need an a.r.s.e.n.a.l of guns to get by. The wife slave comment was deeply offensive I agree. Survival Bill comes across as a redneck hillbilly who just doesn't understand that the rest of the English speaking world isn't like where he lives.

Eric

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Toddy said:

Toddy
i hope survival bill has a contingency plan in place that'll withstand the force of nature that is...hurricane toddy! :D

Survival Bill said:
I am truly depressed by what most here have thought of my post do you all (no not all but most) think that you will live in the stone age forever come on get real if that were the case we wouldn't be were we are now good or bad everyone wants civilization to grow do you think your wife and kids really want to live out their life eating rabbits oh by the way if that is what you want to live on your already dead you will wast away in a few months time leaving your stuff for me to come by and pick up yes I am a survivalist what are you why are you doing what you are get a clue people we are in the same boat so to speak sure I would like to live as comfortable as possible wait till your out in the bush living in your leaky cold thatched hut that will change your mind after awhile I am impressed you have learned the skills needed to survive those are for the short term till you can make things better for yourself and others and yes the original post was to start a thread on bartering and trading as I have not seen a thread here and no one wanted to play along what are you going to do in the real world when you really are 1 year latter living on the land will you have crawled under a rock I don't think so all I really can say is most here have your EYES WIDE SHUT sorry for the original posting I can see most of you deserve what you end up with in the end your no better than the sheople you claim not to be how sad that I had to rant about this at all shesh I gotta shake my head people....

:togo:

Take a breath mate as life is too short.

As for crawling under rocks i'll be in Valhalla with my ancestors long before i get on my knees and beg for forgiveness..............HAIL ODIN!

You cannot micro analyise every senario because anyone who has been on a two way range can tell you is that no plan survives the first round fired.

Take time out with your kith and kin and don't drive yourself insane with stupid end of days (Ragnarok as we Odinist's call it) senarios.
Enjoy life and love your family.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Everyone should lighten up a bit, Between slashing his throat or dismissing his posts have we calmly shown SBill any other way.
Sheeesh!!! I thought I was the savage :confused:
Civilization is only a thin veneer if this is all it takes to get people flustered.
Carcajou Garou, Mohawk/Metis, Bear Clan :D :yo:

Carcajou Garou said:
Everyone should lighten up a bit, Between slashing his throat or dismissing his posts have we calmly shown SBill any other way.
Sheeesh!!! I thought I was the savage :confused:
Civilization is only a thin veneer if this is all it takes to get people flustered.
Carcajou Garou, Mohawk/Metis, Bear Clan :D :yo:

Your right mate but this forum is about bushcraft not survival.

I agree totally about the whole preparedness/survivalism ethos but i don't talk about it here.

Civilisations veneer was rubbed off long ago in the quest for purchasing plastic inanimate objects that we don't need with money that we don't have :(

I would trade with SBill when the time comes but by then the internet will be down and he'll be stuck in his own local.
He's better off trading with his family,mates and neighbours.

No disrespect intended :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:

:) :) LOL Toddy, reading what you where living through I guess you are more off a Survivalist than a Bushcrafter. How are you dealing with the bird flu by the way! :lmao: :lmao:

Cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE