Bartering what you got!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

Keef

Carcajou Garou said:
Everyone should lighten up a bit, Between slashing his throat or dismissing his posts have we calmly shown SBill any other way.
Sheeesh!!! I thought I was the savage :confused:
Civilization is only a thin veneer if this is all it takes to get people flustered.
Carcajou Garou, Mohawk/Metis, Bear Clan :D :yo:

I agree, rather than killing each other, a spirit of co-operation and sharing would be the only way to get by if TSHTF. We would all have to pull together.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Abbe Osram said:
:) :) LOL Toddy, reading what you where living through I guess you are more off a Survivalist than a Bushcrafter. How are you dealing with the bird flu by the way! :lmao: :lmao:

Cheers
Abbe

Hi Abbe, Interesting that....seems the mainstay for the production of the anti flu jabs is star anise. Chinese medicine uses it as a tea for fever, etc....flu basically :) I've got some stashed away and the elderly relatives have all been dragged to the surgery for the flu jabs that *are* available. :D

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/herbs/

I've had real flu, :( I got Singapore flu back in the 80's and I couldn't believe I could be so ill and yet live. It took four months before I felt like myself again and I've still got a fortnight missing from my memory.

The thing is, not everyone goes down with the flu, no-one else in the family did, even though it was through Xmas & New Year I was ill, but about 100 other folk in the village had it too. Some of the elderly who'd remembered the epidemic of WW1 did all of the doom & gloom scenarios, most just reckoned that what's for you won't go by you, so there's no point fretting.
I've done what I can to prepare but I refuse to isolate myself and my family from our society, our friends, colleagues and lives.....that way lies madness :rolleyes:

Hope if the flu does come it misses you and yours.

Cheers,
Toddy

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Star Anise? That is interesting to hear. They are telling us here, that the regular flu shots will offer no protection from this avian flu.

I've heard that one of the most effective ways to fight this flu is Elderberry based. But, it was heard and not read and I havn't had time to research it at all.

I've read that this bird flu is resistent to tamiflu, and has a 60% mortality rate. But, being a flu, it is likely to morph into something else. Even though this flu is airborne, I think the best way to avoid contact is through good hygene and the wearing of a good mask while in public areas.

If the masks they had worn back during the pandemic had covered their noses, it could have been a much different outcome.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Once again...survivalism is American and Bushcraft is British, it's almost a cultural thing. The UK and surrounding areas still maintain a hold on Paganism and hence a love for the old ways. America is largely Christian and so focused on the end of the world as some read into the Bible.

Overall, I think both hiking/camping and bushcraft is more advanced in the US, perhaps due to the larger area but I think mainly due to having more money. Americans have been way ahead of the Brits in backpacking gear development.
As for Bushcraft I don't think you would find anywhere where there is more bushcraft/primitave survival schools than in the US. We have some here but not many.

On my shelf I have four different magazines about bushcraft, all American. I can not find one Canadian bushcraft magazine. Also I know of no British ones.

Over all I am a survivalist that got his start as a child with Native American interests. A survivalist does not plan to go running off into the woods as this is counter to survival. Most agree that small farming communities are the way to go.

I am on many survival fourms and love them all, but I come to the bushcraft fourms to learn bushcraft skills as just one level of survival preprations.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
OhCanada said:
Once again...survivalism is American and Bushcraft is British, it's almost a cultural thing. The UK and surrounding areas still maintain a hold on Paganism and hence a love for the old ways. America is largely Christian and so focused on the end of the world as some read into the Bible.

Overall, I think both hiking/camping and bushcraft is more advanced in the US, perhaps due to the larger area but I think mainly due to having more money. Americans have been way ahead of the Brits in backpacking gear development.
As for Bushcraft I don't think you would find anywhere where there is more bushcraft/primitave survival schools than in the US. We have some here but not many.

On my shelf I have four different magazines about bushcraft, all American. I can not find one Canadian bushcraft magazine. Also I know of no British ones.

Over all I am a survivalist that got his start as a child with Native American interests. A survivalist does not plan to go running off into the woods as this is counter to survival. Most agree that small farming communities are the way to go.

I am on many survival fourms and love them all, but I come to the bushcraft fourms to learn bushcraft skills as just one level of survival preprations.
Right... :dunno:

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
RovingArcher said:
the regular flu shots will offer no protection from this avian flu

Regular flu jabs only really protect against this years flu. They have to develop new flu vaccines each year as flu evolves.

RovingArcher said:
I've read that this bird flu is resistent to tamiflu.

Tamiflu isn't a vaccine, so bird flu can't really develop a resitence to it. Tamiflu just boost the immune system enough to enable your body to fight it off itself (although I have no idea how it does this). For the paranoid amongst us, there are ways of boosting the immune system without Tamiflu. One of the simplest ways is to eat food high in zinc, such as lettuce. Zinc supercharges the immune system somehow or another.

Pappa

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Hi Abbe, Interesting that....seems the mainstay for the production of the anti flu jabs is star anise. Chinese medicine uses it as a tea for fever, etc....flu basically :) I've got some stashed away and the elderly relatives have all been dragged to the surgery for the flu jabs that *are* available. :D

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/herbs/

I've had real flu, :( I got Singapore flu back in the 80's and I couldn't believe I could be so ill and yet live. It took four months before I felt like myself again and I've still got a fortnight missing from my memory.

The thing is, not everyone goes down with the flu, no-one else in the family did, even though it was through Xmas & New Year I was ill, but about 100 other folk in the village had it too. Some of the elderly who'd remembered the epidemic of WW1 did all of the doom & gloom scenarios, most just reckoned that what's for you won't go by you, so there's no point fretting.
I've done what I can to prepare but I refuse to isolate myself and my family from our society, our friends, colleagues and lives.....that way lies madness :rolleyes:

Hope if the flu does come it misses you and yours.

Cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the link Toddy and wishing us heatlh. I got 10 years ago a real flue which had its roots in the spanish flue. 14 days I was flat with high fever and needed another 10 days to be myself again. I dont want to see that happend again to me or my family. Anyhow I am not so afraid yet with the bird flu as it hasnt been transmittet between humans yet. Thats what they tell us here. So lets hope that we all slip that experience.

cheers
Abbe

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have read all this thread and feel that the survivalist theme is really quite scary! I know that people may behave differently in a certain situation but to prepare to behave in that manner is a different matter entirely. Well said Toddy re the wife slavery. Mine would back you to the hilt there.
We have eggs to barter & horse hair. My wife has animal husbandry skills and weaving, also others that she says I do not notice.
I have practical skills.
We could offer a shelter in the south as we have timber, wildlife (Muntjac/GlisGlis) and water. The only question that I have is, if this is a bird flu would our chickens survive along with the wild pheasant population? If they do not this would leave a hole in our food source.
Keep up the novel Eric Methven!
I will be laying a trail of chocolate for bam too!
Swyn
ps The only time I had a flu injection was as a boy soldier aged 16( I'm still convinced that it was an experiment) I have never been so ill!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
swyn said:
I will be laying a trail of chocolate for bam too!!

lol....thanks Mate :D

Personally I'm still not convinced about the short term survival of bartering...I'd like to think there are nice people out there who will barter honestly but I know from experience that there are just as many who will rip you off as soon as look at you... It will be caos and anarchy for a long time to come before (as Toddy rightly points out) it will finally settle down and become civilised again.

SBill....not really sure what you're so PO'd about? You brought up the end of the world idea so why be upset when we talk about it? :confused:

OhCanada.... I have to agree with a lot of what you say. The UK does have it's survivalists but not as many as the US. It seems to be another symptom of the "Bigger is better" theory that the US has, although we all know that isn't always the truth.... knives, cars, guns etc....all have to be bigger in the US (this isn't a critisism of either nation just an observation of mine).

On this forum we are into Bushcraft but that doesn't make us all pagan...many are from any number of the main faiths and some don't believe at all....

Difference is that to me Bushcraft is "carrying less by knowing more", and so when all the survivalists have finally run out of food, gas, ammo, clothes etc etc that they have been stockpiling and bartering with...they will surely be the ones to be curled up under the rocks....the "poor Brits", who never had the expencively developed camping/hiking gear in the first place will carry on as we always have making do with what we do have and more importanty what we know ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
bambodoggy said:
lol....thanks Mate :D

Personally I'm still not convinced about the short term survival of bartering...I'd like to think there are nice people out there who will barter honestly but I know from experience that there are just as many who will rip you off as soon as look at you... It will be caos and anarchy for a long time to come before (as Toddy rightly points out) it will finally settle down and become civilised again.

SBill....not really sure what you're so PO'd about? You brought up the end of the world idea so why be upset when we talk about it? :confused:

OhCanada.... I have to agree with a lot of what you say. The UK does have it's survivalists but not as many as the US. It seems to be another symptom of the "Bigger is better" theory that the US has, although we all know that isn't always the truth.... knives, cars, guns etc....all have to be bigger in the US (this isn't a critisism of either nation just an observation of mine).

On this forum we are into Bushcraft but that doesn't make us all pagan...many are from any number of the main faiths and some don't believe at all....

Difference is that to me Bushcraft is "carrying less by knowing more", and so when all the survivalists have finally run out of food, gas, ammo, clothes etc etc that they have been stockpiling and bartering with...they will surely be the ones to be curled up under the rocks....the "poor Brits", who never had the expencively developed camping/hiking gear in the first place will carry on as we always have making do with what we do have and more importanty what we know ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Well said, bam. :)

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
Personaly i think Bartering is a good way of trading, it has been around a lot longer that money, Barter sticks were the first form of currency, and it is still going strong today, infact whole communities still work on the barter system, myself being a bit tight with my cash :) would rather barter, if i have something someone wants and they have what i want, its logical to exchange. :beerchug:

I spent most of the day yesterday looking at Bills site, i dont agree with all i saw but i do with most (note personaly at the top of the page)((this i my view)) i am not keen on guns, but i shoot, i dont realy like knives but i have many, i do like being out in the wilds( thats why we are here ) we all have our own personal takes on life, these take should be respected, as i say about the Television, if you dont like the programme on, use the off button on the remote, its all choice. opps i have gone on a bit please forgive me for boring you all, Yours Den

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE