Badger Violence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
weekend_warrior said:
....and God help them if the badger gets one in first, they can do some serious damage.

Yup, I've read some horrific stories about injured badgers causing great pain to the perpetrators. No-way can I condone this action - get them reported.

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just picked up on this.........I know there has been a lot in the news about badgers causing problems to cattle with the TB, but this is know excuse (if that is why they are doing it). Last year I had the pleasure of seeing badgers close up in the wild for the first time in my life, they are amazing and beautiful creatures that should be left well alone. I am in full agreement with the previous threads.
REPORT THEM to the authorities. Maybe you can do it so your so called friends don't know its you who is reporting them. Good on you for listing it here so others can comment, but please go further and let others know who will do something about it. Good luck................Jon

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you try to warn these people that what they are doing is wrong, could get them in a lot of trouble, and that you don't approve, then if they are caught at it they will probably suspect you said something.

I think you will probably lose them as friends anyway. If you say nothing and they carry on, will you really want to be around them anymore?

How old are they? Its still sick, but teenagers can do some pretty stupid things because they haven't thought them through.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For me theres no grey in this issue at all.
What they are planning to do is just wrong and thats it.

Don't get me wrong as I have gone lamping for rabbits and hares so I am not a tree hugging, tofu scoffing vegan but theres NO excuse for battering badgers.

Also the research into TB infection showed that the badger culls actually increased the problem as the surviving badgers simply moved into another area and spread infection further.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Your in a difficult situation. These people have been your friends for years and you have conflicting emotions. You no its wrong otherwise you would not have opened this thread. It is hard to drop your friends in the mire but they have judged themselves by their actions.

You do have to be discreet though and inform the police and RSPCA quietly. people willing to smash badgers with lead pipes and golf clubs are likely to take it personally if they feel you grassed them up.

Please do the right thing i have been a sett monitor for my local badger group for years and they a wonderful creatures. No animal dseserves such a painful death.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
They need reporting and God forbid if I ever come across someone doing that when I am out and about.

Either way it needs stopping now.

Mr Strop

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have done and do some strange things (to some) including shooting, which some people would find as wrong as everyone finds the idea of what these people want to do, this a seperate issue.
Getting kicks from just killing in the most bloodthirsty way possible is totally wrong, by anyones standards.
Do these friends play gory computer games? What will they move on to, killing their granny for a few quid, trying to kill their whole family so they can be adopted by a rich family? These are two stories out of todays newspaper, I bet the teenagers that committed those crimes will have started out hurting/killing animals for fun.
I agree with the majority of posts(all?), if you can't talk them out of it you don't want them as friends, and even if you don't take part but stay and listen to them planning and bragging about it later, without reporting it, you will be accepting their behaviour, so encouraging it to possibly move up a gear.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
report to rspa and police, enough said, cant believe you havent already done so, this kind of behaviour doesnt even warrent a thread, and you shouldnt even need us to tell you what to do for gods sake,

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
demographic said:
For me theres no grey in this issue at all.
What they are planning to do is just wrong and thats it.

Don't get me wrong as I have gone lamping for rabbits and hares so I am not a tree hugging, tofu scoffing vegan but theres NO excuse for battering badgers.

Also the research into TB infection showed that the badger culls actually increased the problem as the surviving badgers simply moved into another area and spread infection further.

Actually ... I am a tofu scoffing, vegan tree hugger, but I'd have absolutely no hesitation in the application of summary justice if I encountered such activity. My lifestyle may be one of compassion, but it doesn't extend to these people. Like everyone else here, it would be unconscionable to do anything other than to report them and let the law run it's course.

I recall Ben Bradshaw MP saying this about the TB related trial culls during last summer. I seem to recall that the Radio 4 'Today' program carried the interview. The cull simply opened up areas, which were then quickly filled by wandering badgers, and didn't actually solve the TB problem ...

Good luck in resolving this.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
monkey_pork said:
Actually ............snip snip ........I'd have absolutely no hesitation in the application of summary justice if I encountered such activity. My lifestyle may be one of compassion, but it doesn't extend to these people. Good luck in resolving this.

Plus 1 monkeypork.

george

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Head to a payphone mate, call the RSPCA national cruelty and advice line on 0870 55 55 999, give them a grid ref and move on. You can find other friends to go rabbitting with. I hope it all works out for you.

All of the above!
I shoot & fish but like all true sportsmen (& women) I find wanton cruelty abhorent.
There has been a proven scientific link (although I don't know the specifics it was reported in the shooting press as PETA wanted to use their own interpretation of the report against legitimate sportsmen) linking early cruelty to animals with violent crime i.e. assault, rape & murder often of a particularly sadistic nature.
I think you have no choice but to go to the Police with this & speak to them about your concerns (or speak to then via Crimestoppers if you wish to remain anonymous), also report it to the RSPCA. Dealing with this incident in the proper manner may prevent something far worse in the fufure.

Perhaps you could let us all know of the outcome of how you deal with this very delicate situation?

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Nemisis said:
Or type up a grid ref here i'm sure notice will get through to the right authorities and separate you completly
Dave.

Hey thats a good idea lets post the grid ref to a badger set on a public forum, shewie do the right thing, MODS pull this thread, cant believe other threads get pulled and you let this run, :confused: :confused:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My gut reaction is that the original poster doesn't want these people to be found out. Fortunately, this has been placed on the table and made public. The original posters location is known, if accurately displayed and contacting the authorities in that region to let them know about a possible crime taking place should be in order. In fact, I would be surprised if it hadn't already been done and I would be ashamed if it hasn't already been done.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just to give you an update on this ......

I`ve contacted the RSPCA today and explained my position and the leisurely pursuits of my so called "friends". I`ve given them the grid ref for the set and I`ve also spoken to the landowner who knows exactly who the offenders are. He was equally shocked at what I told him (and it takes a lot to shock an elderly farmer) and said he`d be talking to his sons regarding the matter.
The RSPCA informed me that they would work with the farmer to prevent the cruellty carrying on.

I`ll keep you posted

:(

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
"Talking to his son's"...........................is that farmer speak for breaking out the iron bars :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I hope they get everything they deserve and more

Mr Strop

F

Fungi

:35: Well done!!!!!
Lets just hope something positive gets done.

I do love a happy ending! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE