Badger Violence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A bit of a dodgy subject but something which I feel I should air to you all so I can gauge my reaction and get some advice at the same time.

A number of friends of mine who are generally decent folk have taken it upon themselves to destroy native creatures in the woodlands near to my home. I myself have joined them in the past for vermin control within a farm environment mainly focussing on rabbitts and rats - sometimes woodpigeon.
But recently they have gone after a particularly large badger set containing around 12 - 15 holes many of which appear to be active. They are arming themselves with items such as lead pipe, golf clubs and baseball bats - which personally I find outrageous and sick in the head. Obviously I have declined their offers to join them on their evening jaunts and as far as I`m aware they haven`t yet caught one the unfortunate little guys.
I`ve heard them discussing such things as "atomising" which I believe is the act of filling the badger holes with flammable gases and then lighting them and clubbing to death anything that appears from the holes.
I personally find this all a bit sick and wondered if anybody could shed some light on the laws regarding this kind of thing.
Any advice on talking to these people with a look to getting it stopped would be useful.

:Thinkingo

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
It's a difficult one, because it sounds unlikely that you are going to have a reasoned conversation with them. What about talking to your local badger group (eg http://www.sybadgergroup.f9.co.uk/) and tell them your concerns. They might sort things out.

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Take a look at THIS.

Depending how close you are to these friends I would consider one of two actions. First if they are good friends I would express your concerns and draw their attention to the law. However if this likely to result in any form of reprisal or if they are merely acquaintances rather than friends it may be better to report them anonamously to both the Police and RSPCA.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Disgusting. Badgers have a tough enough life at the best of times. :rant:

If they are planning on using clubs, pipes, etc on the badgers, how exactly were you exterminating rabbits, rats, and pigeons. I assume this was done in a humane manner?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
If they don't listen, report it to the police. Early cruelty to animals is considered one of the main signs of psycopathy. Cruelty is addictive and in time it may grow into a seriously perverse habit.

I know the problem with badger cruelty. Some former freinds of mine cornered (while drunk) a badger, stabbed it with a bowie knife and killed it by jumping on it's head. Disgusting and disrespectful!

Torjus Gaaren

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If you think they're in the wrong (which I think you do from what you've said) and they're your friends, then you should be able to tell them your thoughts.

If that's not the case, then maybe you should change your friends? I don't want to be offensive, but my friends wouldn't do such a thing. If they did, they'd no longer be my friends, simple as that.

I'd try to dissuade them from such action, pointing out the laws that have been mentioned which are in place to protect the badgers. If it was me, I'd be thinking of contacting the wildlife officer at your local police station, or the RSPCA.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Topcat

As far as culling the rabbits and rats - we used air rifles for the rabbitts and a fast poison for the rats. All above board and there was no element of cruelty involved.

I think I shall have to have words as most of you are as shocked as myself. I`ve grown up all my life with these people and the last thing I want is to see them locked up - it`s sad to see them go down this route though all the same and it should be stopped. A quiet word at first followed by a conversation with the RSPCA I think.

Thanks for your comments.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
If you are worried about your "mates" finding out you reported them call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 to report the offence, then you don't have to give your personal details.

Personally I'd have no worries about reporting them to the Police. These are not people you want to call your friends.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I wouldn't even enter into conversation with these disgusting individuals. Try and find out when and where they will be attempting there hideous pass time and make sure the get caught red handed.

James

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
....and God help them if the badger gets one in first, they can do some serious damage. We had something similar happen not far from me - Police and RSPCA took a very dim view, two of 'em got locked up

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Shewie said:
A bit of a dodgy subject but something which I feel I should air to you all so I can gauge my reaction and get some advice at the same time.

A number of friends of mine who are generally decent folk have taken it upon themselves to destroy native creatures in the woodlands near to my home. I myself have joined them in the past for vermin control within a farm environment mainly focussing on rabbitts and rats - sometimes woodpigeon.
But recently they have gone after a particularly large badger set containing around 12 - 15 holes many of which appear to be active. They are arming themselves with items such as lead pipe, golf clubs and baseball bats - which personally I find outrageous and sick in the head. Obviously I have declined their offers to join them on their evening jaunts and as far as I`m aware they haven`t yet caught one the unfortunate little guys.
I`ve heard them discussing such things as "atomising" which I believe is the act of filling the badger holes with flammable gases and then lighting them and clubbing to death anything that appears from the holes.
I personally find this all a bit sick and wondered if anybody could shed some light on the laws regarding this kind of thing.
Any advice on talking to these people with a look to getting it stopped would be useful.

:Thinkingo

This is absolutely despicable. Badgers are fully protected under law as others have pointed out. It is a serious offence to harm them or their sett in any way without a licence. Report them IMMEDIATELY to the police, rspca, local badger group etc. do it [font=&quot]anonymously if you have to but do it now! Let them know when and where they plan to carry out the next attack so they can be caught in the act.

This really makes my blood boil, I would give mindless idiots like this a taste of their own medicine if it were legal:AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin
[/font]

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
What a world to live in when people do this, its makes me sick, we should all chip in so they can go polar bear hunting with a pen knife.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Sorry to say this, but it sounds to me like they are out for the bloodlust and if it were me in your place, they would be turned in to the authorities. Because any man that will club an animal for fun, will abuse a child or woman in anger.

J

Jamie

Lurch said:
No true sportsman would even consider doing these things.

I would suggest that no true humane person would consider doing that sort of thing - it really is totally reprehensible and revolting behavious. And we consider our society civilised?

some police do have a countryside/environmental crimes section (usually a pc who does it in conjunction with 'normal' policing duties)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE