Axes. Why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'd say I carry an axe on about half the trips I make - depending on where I'm going, how I'm getting there and what I plan to do.

On a daily basis it's used for splitting logs and cutting kindling and I miss it sometimes when I've left it at home.
I only carry a little knife which isn't much cop for battoning and am not the biggest fan of battoning anyway. Been using a hand axe since I was a kid(maintaining a pile of dry kindling was one of my pocketmoney jobs) and while I've cut myself a couple of times I've done worse slicing cheese with a kitchen knife. Any sharp tool warrants care.

The firewood I burn is generaly either...

...deadfall birch covered in moss. Strip off the moss, chuck it on a fire and it'll just flare briefly as the bark burns then smoulder away hopelessly. Split it and it'll burn far nicer.
(This pic isn't of firewood by the way, it's way past it and lying too low. Does give you an idea though of the moisture levels I'm talking about)

FP_APR_30.jpg

...or deadfall pine/spruce snaffled from plantations.
....which again can be starting to rot on the outside yet solid and dry inside.

LL_AUG_05.jpg

...or driftwood, which on the whole is the least likely to need an axe run through it.
On occasion though a big ol' branch or trunk will wash up that needs split simply to get it down to size. The branch at the back of the pile here was logged and kept us going for days - was the best burning of the lot.

LF_MAY_03.jpg

Sometimes I like pottering about making things(and I know I'm not alone there :) ). It just feels nice to whittle away an evening then the chips keep the fire bright and cheery when the sun goes down.

Made a paddle once. Turned out nice, first paddle I tend to reach for these days.

Paddle_02.jpg

...and have roughed out a few bows at camp. Full logs are too big to transport even in the wee canoe so really roughing out on site is the only way to get them managable enough to take home for seasoning.

AB_05.jpg

Then there's maintenance. On a trip last year I was cutting some birch that were threatening the walls of an old cottage. May have used a saw to bring them down...

COT_01.jpg

...but used the axe to reduce them to three piles - one of brush for burning(disposal), one of firewood branches and the other of trunks(some of which we used straight away to shore up a corner while we partialy dismantaled it to tie the stonework back together, the rest will be used to make a wee scaffolding this year to help tidy and remortar the caps of the walls).
(the other piles are out of shot)

COT_02.jpg

The axe came in useful during the rhodie clearing as well - along with pruning saws, bowsaws, chainsaws, billhooks, secateurs......
Each had their use and their place in the toolkit.

LF_FEB_09.jpg

Oops, almost forgot smackng in the 'chute pegs...

So there you go, there's why I (sometimes) carry an axe when I go camping.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nice reply, Grooveski - thanks.

However, it looks like there's still a tree you forgot to cut down in the last picture:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Sure at home especially with a wood burning heating/cooking system a axe would be useful at worst, essential at best.
I'm still struggling to think of a reason (other than private land, carving) why you'd bother lugging a little kiddies axe around in the UK though :confused:

I'm not sure everybody in the UK lugs a "kiddie" axe. But whatever they carry, they probably do so because they are IN the UK. If they want to learn to use an axe, then they must do it there; it would be awefully expensive to fly to North America just for an opportunity to learn axemanship when it's possible to do at home.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Fun AND work :)
Preparing a site for not only fun weekends out but also as a base for Nature Awareness and Ecotherapy sessions with folk with issues.
I do own a gas stove (well about 5 actually) but prefer open fires for cooking - especially for groups - and I do not own a chainsaw (nasty noisy dangerous things).
With mases of wood available (private woods in need of thinning) I get both fun and the community gets benifit and I (possibly) get a bit of paid employment in the future as well as the bushcrafting site of the gods :)
I also sell some of my carvings, so the use of the axe is - for me - pleasure, profit, fun, excercise, giving back to the comunity and keeping trad skills alive ...
That is why I am using an axe :D
I have yet to try a Jerven bag but they sound and look good ... but are beyond my budget!

Again, all good sound reasons!

I will take issue with you though about the price of a Jerven bag though. Yes, they are expensive - £200+ depending on the type of thermal bag (the unlined one is cheaper to be fair.) Hovever, for something that offers so much in terms of survivability in the Arctic/sub-Arctic in winter, maybe it should be prioritised more highly? Even if it just protects from a touch of frost-bite, rather than the more extreme - death? How much are your toes, or fingers, or nose worth......

Just a thought:)

Actually, it sounds as if I'm an agent for the things - let me stress that I'm not! Don't even have one. But like to think outside the box occasionally, and the Jerven bags do seem to address a major risk in cold climes so I'm surprised that they don't even seem to get a mention by the Arctic survival gurus who prefer instead potentially less effective and more hazardous ways to address the situation. Again, not that there's anything wrong with learning how to build a snowhole, or quinzy, or igloo, but not to mention a potentially much more suitable survival technique/piece of kit?

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Snide comments aside, no idea what your definition of bushcraft is, for me it's simply getting out into nature.

That to me is a massive de-stress, as i'm also usually walking while out it also helps keep me fit.
Both important things to me and far from pointless.

Sure at home especially with a wood burning heating/cooking system a axe would be useful at worst, essential at best.
I'm still struggling to think of a reason (other than private land, carving) why you'd bother lugging a little kiddies axe around in the UK though :confused:

Look fella, you don't like axes, I get that, you don't use one, fair enough. so let's just say that you will carry on not using or liking axes and their use in the UK and all us axe users will quietly carry on using ours, we can all just get along.

each to their own and all that, but don't be so pushy with you opinions, some people are easily offended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
GB's are good but the things are so expensive, better to get an axe from a car boot sale for a few quid and fix it. Much more worthy of respect than buying a gb

You think a hand forged, beautifully crafted axe that costs £60 is expensive? seriously? the average 'bushcraft' knife is made from stock metal and fittings and takes alot less skill and time to make but will sell for hundreds. That is expensive mate.

I'm not sure everybody in the UK lugs a "kiddie" axe. But whatever they carry, they probably do so because they are IN the UK. If they want to learn to use an axe, then they must do it there; it would be awefully expensive to fly to North America just for an opportunity to learn axemanship when it's possible to do at home.

Not actually sure what a kiddie axe is.. maybe one of those inflatable squeaky ones? :confused:

The axe I use most is my tiny tomahawk, it's light and small enough to be easily carried yet it still splits,chops and carves nicely. It's enough for me untill I have to lop off big hard branches or drop trees. I don't have a chainsaw and neither do I want one, if I need to cut something down I use a saw and/or an axe.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...You think a hand forged, beautifully crafted axe that costs £60 is expensive? seriously? the average 'bushcraft' knife is made from stock metal and fittings and takes alot less skill and time to make but will sell for hundreds. That is expensive mate..."

I have always thought that GB offered pretty good value...

[video=youtube;dbCpDsxUHVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCpDsxUHVc[/video]

Each to his own though, my first axe was a cheap thing from an Army Navy store, it is still in use. :)

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I USE AN AXE BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL MANLY!
There, i said what everyone really wanted to say!

In all seriousness I find it to be a vital carving tool for roughing out shapes of projects, a job that would take far far longer with a knife. I carry a GB Kubben hatchet which is a wonderful wee tool to use and well worth carrying, for stuff that the mora can't quite hack (see what I did there).
Besides, you look dead cool when you're marching around with an axe over your shoulder :)

paddy

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Apart from carving things like paddles, bows and roughing spoons, which I grant aren't everyday outdoor tasks, I do find an axe very useful for splitting firewood. I did a long wet canoe trip in Scotland a few years ago and tried to rely on a small saw and knife-batonning to produce all our dry small wood - it didn't work. I really missed a small axe then.

rg598

Native
The axes GB sells are actually made with a drop forge. They hand make the ones they do for historical preservation projects.

[video=youtube;E89nlVmPeeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89nlVmPeeU&hd=1&t=2m4 s[/video]

As far as why people use axes in the UK, I don't know as I don't live there. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The axes GB sells are actually made with a drop forge. They hand make the ones they do for historical preservation projects.

[video=youtube;E89nlVmPeeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89nlVmPeeU&hd=1&t=2m4 s[/video]

As far as why people use axes in the UK, I don't know as I don't live there. :)

No they arent, a drop forge normally uses a single die to cast the piece, that guy is using a power hammer,

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Look fella, you don't like axes, I get that, you don't use one, fair enough. so let's just say that you will carry on not using or liking axes and their use in the UK and all us axe users will quietly carry on using ours, we can all just get along.

each to their own and all that, but don't be so pushy with you opinions, some people are easily offended.

An axe is an inanimate object, i neither like or dislike them they are simply a tool for a job.

I dunno if it's the the weather but there does seem to be a fair amount of drama being created over the subject.
It's an axe and both the op and myself are curious as to why people take them out walking and what they use them for, how is that being snide or pushy? :confused:

With regards to being pushy, i also am struggling to see how someone can be pushy using the written word.
Surely if you don't like what's being written you simply stop reading it :confused:

John, Grooveski, outdoorpaddy and Nonsuch, great posts goodjob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Take them out walking? Who takes an axe out walking?

Some folk may walk to their bushy spot with an axe in tow, others may go on multi-day hikes and carry one for firewood production or perhaps carving on an evening.

But walking?

It's an axe and both the op and myself are curious as to why people take them out walking and what they use them for,

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i tend to use axes more than knives but i have several and they all do a job i have a splitting maul for chopping logs in the garden, i have a couple of SFA type axes for chopping branches etc but the one i use most is my gerber pack axe (its tiny and light) i use it mainly because apart from a mora i dont really have a top notch knife (use my SAK mostly) so i use the gerber axe as a knife as it fits comfortably in the palm of my hand using it this way and the type of grind it has i can make feather sticks easily with it something i fail to do with the mora. It also splits wood well (small camp fire size pieces) and i find it easier to sharpen to shave sharp than my knife, these are just my observations and perhaps i need to learn more with the knife but truth is i feel safer with the axe in my palm than trying to struggle with a knife. For whittling etc i tend to use my SAK and i also use a bahco saw. I recently purchased a coldsteel bushman knife which is bloody sharp but i havent practised much with it yet (i still shave off my feather sticks the leverage feels wrong) i guess i have my own quirks that will be hard to drive out lol. i even use a couple of old axe heads as splitting wedges for big logs and although i know you can baton a knife i still think its more dangerous particularly when you see how small the tang is on a mora. I guess its what your used to

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Dear Mr cbr66rfs you do have an uncanny way of creating a liitle spice with your comments , and selectively highlight the retorts that you choose as part of your response , at the end of the day it does not matter what you take into the woods .

I don't know much about Greece as the best country to practice Bushcrafting , but at least it is warm enough most of the year to wear bikini and wellies ! just leave the axe at home if it's an issue ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE