Axe helves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Having acquired a new toy at the GameFair (a Gransfors small forest axe- sorry to be so conventional) I was interested in the variation in the wooden handles. Various sources advise that the grain should be as close to parallel with the bit as possible, and that preferably should not include the yellow heartwood but be very pale.

Well, I looked at seven SFAs at the weekend and only two had the 'correct' grain. The others were at about 45 degrees. One had a very noticeably yellow handle but I don't know if that was because of the wood or due to a particularly strong linseed oil finish.

At the end of the day, Gransfors offer a 20 year guarantee, so it maybe doesn't matter greatly. Presumably they all got past GB's quality control. However, as a split handle of an old hatchet was my reason for buying a new axe in the first place, I wondered if anyone had any more information?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive never known anyone to snap a GB, I had the great idea of shaving a GB hatchet handle in the way i did my hammers to fit the hand when i was a Smithy i can tell you the Hickory is like iron and as tough as an east end landlord, as you say they do have a 20 year guarantee but guarentee or no guarentee you dont want one to snap when our in the wilderness when you rely on it the most, its good to be able to choose one from a batch but if used properly its highly unlikely you will have a GB helve snap on you :eek: err i take it your old hatchet wasnt a GB! lol ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No, the deceased hatchet wasn't a GB. No name on it at all. I suppose I could have fitted a new handle but it was never very good anyway, and just the excuse I needed to get a Gransfors!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE