Approach to bushcraft fishing - Watercraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I wrote this for another forum but hope this serves useful for someone here too.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

There's seems to be quite a bit of interest in fishing, so I thought I'd write a few tips in instalments on how to bag yourself a fish without touching too much into the realms of sport fishing. I spent most of my youth adopting simple techniques and using the bare minimum of tackle on trout streams in Exmoor and rivers/streams and coastal areas of Somerset and Dorset, which nowadays could be construed as bushcraft/survival fishing.

This topic will be based around the skills you need for catching a trout from a river. Just remember that it doesn't only apply for trout, most skills are interchangeable for other species.
I've chosen not to get into the realms of coarse fish since it's something I'd only consider eating in a survival situation - I've eaten carp, bream & roach (not in UK I hasten to add) and they don't taste the best and certainly nobody is going to have a tin bath set-up, as demonstrated once by Hugh Fearlessly Eatsitall to leach the bowels of the fish whilst they're out camping.

This first part, for the time being, is based on watercraft for a trout river - Trout prefer clean, highly oxygenated water, so trout rivers tend to be clear and fast flowing, although there can be exceptions to the rule.

Watercraft is just as important as the tackle you use, if not more so. You can have the most expensive gear on the planet and you still won’t catch if you’re not doing it right.
At the other end of the scale, which is the area we want to be looking at, you can approach it with just simple techniques/equipment and bag up. In this instance, it is a guide for approaching bushcraft fishing using a hand line or hobo set up.

A lot of people expect to turn up at a stretch of river, chuck a line out and catch a fish. First mistake, you may get lucky but 9 times out of 10, without some degree of watercraft, you won’t.

Remember that you can't always see the fish but, with consideration, can take an educated guess at where they'll be.

Your initial approach is important.

Fish have great peripheral vision and will spot your silhouette against the skyline. Remember that fish are predated upon, so have natural wariness.

Keep low, use trees, bushes or whatever as cover where possible.

Be quiet - Stomping around on the bank will do you no favours. The vibrations you cause are easily transmitted through the water and will spook the fish.

Avoid sudden movements. Think Heron.

Choosing your spot.
You should look for areas of slack water or deep pools that are preceded by a ‘race’ (fast moving section). Fish do not want to be expending energy by maintaining position in fast water. They will hang around in slack water near a race waiting for bits of food to get washed down past them where they can dart out and intercept it.

Likewise, sunken features such as; logs or boulders provide cover from the main current and fish will lie in wait behind these for food to wash down past them.

Your chosen spot should ideally be upstream from the features, somewhere where it’s fairly easy to cast and, ideally, have a place nearby where you can easily land the fish. If you don’t have very strong line, you don’t want to be hauling a flapping trout up a steep bank, you could snap your line and lose your end tackle not to mention your dinner.

I'm 3/4 the way through penning the next bit - tackle selection - and hope to get it done soon if anyone's interested.

Thinking about it, this could get long. I can see 3 subjects before a line has even been cast!

Last edited:

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Agree with all of that.

The most important skill in any type of angling is reading the water and knowing where to concentrate your efforts for maximum return.

The largest trout tend to take up position in the best lies - the ones that offer the greatest amount of feeding for the least expenditure of energy. Often these are in deeper water or behind rocks or other obstructions, just off the main current, towards the head of the pool so they get first refusal of any food items carried down by the stream.

Look forward to reading the rest!

Aug 16, 2010
Australia
As a diver/paddler/surfer, I have often noticed that I see more fish in my persuits than many fisherman. I have noted that larger fish and in greater numbers tend to frequent places where anglers do not, and often they are just adjacent to each other. I paddle a SUP regularly in river, eastury and ocean and am always amazed at the volume and variety of sea life that I see from my elevated viewpoint and my stealthy approach. i have often crept up upon "larger" toothy species and been withinn touching distance before they noticed me. I often startle small hammerheads on my early morning Summer paddles. What I have learned from this is that you need to have a good knowledge of species behaviour to have a better chance at striking lucky. Spearfishers know this, and lobster gatherers know this.
Finally, for those rock fishing in the oceans - we used to take novice divers to a location in Sydney that was popular with local rock anglers. They would get quite abusive if we entered the water at their spot, as they percieved we scared all the fish away. They would also pack up and move elsewhere and generally get angry. What they were blind to was that most novices, upon entering the water clumsily would generally stir up lots of debris and plant life from the rocks. This would quickly attract all manner of species, large and small to the area to feed on the abundance of free food we had just inadvertantly provided. The fish didn't seem to notice the dozen or so divers, and carried on the feeding frenzy until all food was gone. Often, we would get followed by some species, feeding in the wake of our disturbance. The moral here, again, know your fish behaviour, and if you fet the chance, enter their environment and observe, just like you would with hunting and tracking.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The moral here, again, know your fish behaviour, and if you fet the chance, enter their environment and observe, just like you would with hunting and tracking.

It's a good point to highlight. Track land animals or tracking fish, there's lots of similarities.
Your mention of Sydney takes me back a bit - About 8 years ago I spent 10 months tramping around in a '76 Vee Dub combi pop top and fished a fair few spots around that way - Palm Beach, Taylors Wharf, Narrabeen Lake, Akuna Bay and in around Pittwater and Scotland Island as well as doing lots of spots along the coast from Sydney to Melbourne to Adelaide, I even did a couple of days on Lake George in Canberra. What a great country you live in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE