Another wood burning trail stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the woolworths drainer is identical to the Ikea one as far as I can see, I compared them in the hope that the Ikea one was slightly larger.
After reading this thread, I've been playing with my dremel and zebra billies :D
I now have a hobo stove, and the bails of my 10cm and 12cm billies now have wire cable bails (crimped with brass rod) saving space and weight.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice job Eric. :approve:
I have made similiar with Scouts out large bean tins SWMBO got from work for free but they are larger.

I made myself one of these the other week from a Woolies drainer and an Asda sugar tin - not had a chance to try it out yet, so it's good to see it in action. Cheers.

I am sure that you are aware already that if lid is too tight it will pop off at a rate of knots:eek: when you heat it up.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like your stove, Eric. A very neat and complete set. I am going to have a go too, when I found a stainless container with a stainless lid. I think its a positive thing to have a limited space for the size of the wood you use in these stove. It may be more tempting for some people to use and leave larger pieces in a open fire. you can't do that in small stoves like these.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice stove kit eric, good photos, good to see it in action, I love these little stove kits its good to see the way that folks mod them to their own needs, and so cheap too, them Opinels work great with the ferro rods dont they, I use mine closed to strike the rod, that way I dont cut myself.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also have a hobo made for a 12cm billy, and a 10 cm nests inside with a trangia burner, a cut down pot handle, bail arm removed and replaced with wire and the pot support from the trangia solo thingy. Two skewers are fixed in place to hold the pot on top and are height adjustable, they stow on the handle of the billy and are held tight in with an elastic band around the outside. I also have a computer fan grill that sits on top of the trangia pot support so that the 10 cm billy doesn't fly off as it is too small to sit on it securely. The grill can also be used inside the hobo as a grating to increase air flow. Hexamine will also work in it, so like Waylands' original stove set, it is pretty much a multi fuel two pot cook set, all contained in a half of a trouser leg from army combat trousers. The draw string at the ankle is left in and the leg sewn at the other end (where it used to be attacthed to the rest of the trousers!) so you have a draw string bag ready to go in about a minute from start to finish on a sewing machine!

I should get some pictures up some time, they are fun to make and use, and also to swap ideas on. They can be a bit heavy, but they can also be swapped and changed to leave bits out if you wish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE