An American Axe - in British Hands - an axe restoration project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A little while ago I commented on a thread in another forum wherea member showed his beautiful collection of Kelly Perfect axes – a vintage axe model sadly unavailable in the UK.

Recently the man himself dropped me a mail and said that he had found a nice double bit head by Kelly Perfect with a few nicks and dings and if I could source a haft he would send it to me.

Well, having finished a happy dance I said “yes please”.

Well, he kindly posted it off …cue disorganised UK customs and carriers…but it found its way here eventually (although I’m glad it wasn’t baked goods). Although the parcel was weirdly large for an axe head.

Like a kid at Christmas I opened it up…..

1) Cruiser Axe Head by British Red, on Flickr

2) Kelly Perfect True Temper by British Red, on Flickr

Now that’s a pretty axe J Sure it had a few nicks and dings – both blades had some chips

3) Blade 1 Edge by British Red, on Flickr

4) Blade 2 Edge by British Red, on Flickr

And the eye had some damage – I suspect from where some klutz removed an old helve

5) Eye Top by British Red, on Flickr

Interestingly the blade bottoms have some scars too. I believe that’s from someone hammering on them with a metal hammer (sigh) – again probably during re-helving. That said though, the axe has been properly sharpened in its life – you can see file teeth marks from cutting back and a pronounced bevel swirl from proper use of an axe stone. I kind of like these reminders of a tools history!

So…why such a big box? Well emptying it out revealed a brand new helve with a lovely straight grain

6) New Helve by British Red, on Flickr

And even a set of wedges!

7) New Wedges by British Red, on Flickr
Now given such extraordinary generosity, I felt it only right and proper to show how I would set up this tool. I have written articles in the past about sharpening axes with hand tools. On this occasion though, I added a little technology – a bench grinder and sander.

9) Bench Grinder by British Red, on Flickr

Only a cheap item this - £20 from Aldi – but its all you need on a job like this if you are careful and go slow.

Before I used it though – safety gear. There are going to be hot sparks, metal dust and rubbish flying around. Protect your eyes, ears, nose, mouth and hands. And wear old clothes. My poor old work fleece is covered in singe marks :eek:

8) Safety Gear by British Red, on Flickr

Step one was to cut back the edge. I did this on a grinding wheel. Do a tiny bit at a time, checking carefully. Do not let the blade get hot – you will ruin the temper. Stop before you have removed all the dings – we will finish on a sander. If you aren’t sure, use coarse and mill files to do this.

10) Ground Back Edge by British Red, on Flickr

Next, I used a slack 2” belt sander to profile the blades in a convex shape – one quite rounded for rough work, the other a little finer for cutting. You must use the slack area for this…you don’t want a flat bevel!

11) Sanded Blade by British Red, on Flickr

12) Sanded Blade by British Red, on Flickr

Then I took a coarse half round / flat file and cleaned up that nick in the eye. I also “de-burred” the inside of the eye.

13) Filed Back Eye by British Red, on Flickr

So – that was the head roughed out – sadly I had messed up the lovely age patina with all that filing, grinding and sanding

15) Re-profiled Head by British Red, on Flickr

Next it was out with the diamond axe file, Hoodoo hone (sanding block with mousemat glued on covered in various grits of emery paper) and Leather buff loaded with pink / green polishing compound

16) Sharpening tools by British Red, on Flickr
There we have it…hair popping sharp!

17) Sharpened Blade by British Red, on Flickr

But wait…can you see those little rust pits behind where I’ve messed up the patina. Can’t have that. So I masked the bevels, cleaned the head with acid, washed and degreased it and then cold blued it. I sealed the cold blue with micro crystalline wax

19) Waxed Blade by British Red, on Flickr

It’ll get a final sharpen and polish after re-hanging. So I suppose we had better get on with that next huh?

Here’s the tools

20) Fittitng tools by British Red, on Flickr

The most important tool for fitting a helve is – in my view – a wood rasp (like a file for wood)

21) Wood rasp by British Red, on Flickr

I keep sliding the helve into the handle and rasping off where the wood binds

22) Shaping wood by British Red, on Flickr

As you push the head firmly on (don’t hammer) and remove it, tight areas get a shiny look. I mark these with a carpenters pencil, rasp them off and try again

23) Areas for relief by British Red, on Flickr

Don’t rush this – expect to make twenty or thirty trial fits, taking a little wood each time. Eventually the head will push down to the shoulder of the helve. If the head sticks on, knock it off with a piece of wood – not a metal hammer (remember those marks on the bottom of the blades – that’s what caused them I bet!). Do this over a wooden work bench – don’t drop the head on a concrete floor!

24) Rough fitted by British Red, on Flickr

Now on this axe, the bottom of the head is curved

25) Shoulders tapered by British Red, on Flickr

I rasped a curve onto the shoulder of the helve and then marked how much to cut off the top

26) Marking Cut off by British Red, on Flickr

I sawed off the top of the helve to just above the blade line.

Next I fitted the wedge – for a wedge to fully fit the eye, I find you need to chamfer the edges to fit the curve of the eye

27) Fitting wooden wedge by British Red, on Flickr

I drove the wedge in with a rubber mallet – some prefer a wooden mallet but don’t use a metal hammer. I cut the wedge off square to the helve.

28) Wooden wedge in place by British Red, on Flickr

Next to fit the metal wedge. I don’t like these set square (at 90 degrees to the wooden wedge). I find this causes splits in the wooden wedge. So I set them at 45 degrees. I also start the hole with a sharp ½” wood chisel before inserting the wedge.

29) Chisel and metal wedge by British Red, on Flickr

Here is the chisel mark

30) Chisel cut by British Red, on Flickr

I do use a metal hammer to drive in the metal wedge. This is the only time I let a metal hammer near an axe head. If you file two nicks in the sides of the metal wedge prior to putting it in, you can hook it out with a sharp screw driver when the helve needs replacing. Stand the bottom of the helve on an old plank before you tap in the metal wedge – or you will scuff the helve on the floor.

31) Metal Wedge by British Red, on Flickr

Now, to finish off, I like to soak the helve in oil. To do this, I lay out a triple layer of kitchen towel and put the helve on it

32) Helve on kitchen towel by British Red, on Flickr

I wrap the paper round the helve and hold it on with rubber bands.

33) Oiled Paper wraped helve by British Red, on Flickr

Then I soak the paper in oil, and cover the paper in plastic wrap

34) Wrapped in cling film by British Red, on Flickr

Leave that for a couple of days, rub off any raised grain with wire wool and then seal the oil in with a rub of beeswax.

A quick final sharpen and there we have it…an old war horse ready to respond to the bugle.

Kelly Perfect Axe by British Red, on Flickr

What a fantastic thing for a guy to send huh? I will trasure for his kindness and its history...which I hope will continue for many years now

Last edited:

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Awesome Job! Really great to see an old tool breathed back to life, or in this case grinded, filed and helved back to life! haha
Fantastic work, gives me kick up the behind to finish off my own axe project.
I suppose the best thing is when you use it, whatever the task is, it will become all the more satisfying using the axe that you restored.
Thanks for sharing!

paddy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one mate :).
I was surprised to see your a rasper rather than a carver :) Saying that, i tend to use bandsaw and belt grinder, initially, only fine tuning the fit with a knife.

You will have to let us know how it performs :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice axe and restoration.

Never heard of the paper towel and plastic wrap method before. Used to just use a piece of drain pipe in a bucket, filled with oil, and just leave the axe handle in there for days.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a great write up how to re helve an axe Hugh... thank you for sharing it with us :)

I will now go and cry whilst gently muttering to myself... "you lucky, lucky b...." :rolleyes:

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Have to say I'm very jealous! I have been after a nice vintage American felling axe for a while, fancy a Jersey pattern if I can Find a nice one! :)
Was it the oil or the wax that's given the helve such a rich colour? I know linseed darkens with age but obviously this is shiny new! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was it the oil or the wax that's given the helve such a rich colour? I know linseed darkens with age but obviously this is shiny new! :)

It was teak oil which is darker, plus I used a dark wax. You can use sesame or walnut oil - both darken the grain a great deal. This one seems to be a mix of heartwood and sapwood and is lighter on the back. Thats okay though - it helps me remember which side is for what :)

Oh yeah MArk - definitely a rapser here - I find I can shape better with a rasp - or rather more progressively on a curved surface. Also I find the "roughened" grain packs down on any contact points and leaves a clear mark so that I can see where to relieve it. Its far from the only way to do it - others I'm sure work just as well - but I do find a wood rasp a useful tool - even if an uncommon one,

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE