Edible fish in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
How do all
Just wondering if anyone knew of a good guide to edible fish in the UK, mainly to identify them? Intend on fishing for my supper on some camping trips in the future, but am unsure as to how to identify edible/tasty fish. Mostly lakes and lochs, but also river and sea fishing if possible. A simple spotters guide, something I can take out on the water, would be ideal.
Many thanks
LTDansLegs

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Go on environment agency web site, that will tell you what is legal and size limit etc.
surf a couple of wild food sites will help you out, most fresh water fish are edible, the taste is something else!
good luck n tight lines!

• Haha
Reactions: GNJC and LtDansLegs

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Go on environment agency web site, that will tell you what is legal and size limit etc.
surf a couple of wild food sites will help you out, most fresh water fish are edible, the taste is something else!
good luck n tight lines!
I'll second that the taste may not be great; when I was very young I caught, cooked and ate pretty much anything. Almost everything was revolting... :yuck:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll second that the taste may not be great; when I was very young I caught, cooked and ate pretty much anything. Almost everything was revolting... :yuck:
My Dad did a lot of hunting and fishing, he said that the older he got the pickier he got.
The phrase, "Well, you can eat it", doesn't mean that it's good eating.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
All fresh water species are edible. As in not poisonous. Rules do vary between England Scotland and Wales especially with Salmonids. One for starters brown trout tastes fine and the minimum size is 8 inches.

Mainly game fish (Salmon, Trout) are taken for the pot but in Wales Salmon can not be taken via rod and line. sea trout (sewin) of a certain size also can not be taken. There is also seasons to research on when you can fish for certain species.

Again with sea fish look out for the rules as it changes quite often regarding bass. Other species such as cod are more relaxed.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
All fresh water species are edible. As in not poisonous. Rules do vary between England Scotland and Wales especially with Salmonids. One for starters brown trout tastes fine and the minimum size is 8 inches.

Mainly game fish (Salmon, Trout) are taken for the pot but in Wales Salmon can not be taken via rod and line. sea trout (sewin) of a certain size also can not be taken. There is also seasons to research on when you can fish for certain species.

Again with sea fish look out for the rules as it changes quite often regarding bass. Other species such as cod are more relaxed.
Interesting, thanks for that, had no idea about the bass rules until seeing your post.

When I was a lad we mostly went for them with spear guns; somewhat irresponsibly I don't think we even considered 'quotas' or limits then. Hmm... it's a bit grim when you start thinking back in decades...

But very useful info' because my own kids are starting to show an interest in all this now.

LtDansLegs

Aug 16, 2023
Lancashire
Reactions: Tantalus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE