Acorns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have read some earlier threads about acorn coffee. The best advice seems to be to soak them, crushed, in water for about 24hrs, then roast.

Acorns for flour is mentioned but not detailed. Is it best not to roast before powdering?

May 8, 2006
cambs UK
Hi Biddlesby,
I made acorn flour last year after reading quite a few how to articles and methods... basically you either soak the nuts for a long time or boil several times or as I did a combo of both - the principle is to leech out the bitter tannins. In practice, this version came about because I was too busy to process the acorns for a few weeks after collecting them.... So:
gather acorns, avoiding any with holes
slit the skins with a kitchen knife,
boil for 20 minutes in plenty of water, drain, cool then peel the skins and put the nuts in a pan of fresh water. Boil again for 20 minutes drain and repeat with fresh water. At this point I got bored/ busy with other things so I put the nuts in a bucket of fresh water and left them. I changed the water every couple of days and this went on for nearly 3 weeks by which time I had more time to finish processing. I gave them another boiling and tasted to check for bitterness. ( by this time the nuts were beginning to break up into a bit of a sludge at the bottom of the pan )
Then I drained them keeping the sludge and put the whole lot into a blender to make a coarse gloop. Finally I spread it out on trays and dried it in a cool oven for around half an hour. Acorn flour keeps well, tho has no gluten so if you are following a recipe which uses ordinary flour it's best to only substitute up to 50 % acorn flour. Flavour: earthy and quite strong; I made a batch of cookies with hazelnuts and raisins and 50% acorn flour which was well recieved by my wild food guinea pigs!

Reactions: Toddy

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
Here's a recipe that you may like, from the book edible and medicinal plants by steve brill & Evelyn dean.
I cook it often, its nice with meat but it is an acquired taste.

This curried acorn recipe also works with other wild and commercial nuts and seeds.
3 cups water
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
6 to 8 tablespoons curry powder
1 heaping quart of chopped white oak acorns,leached of their tannin by repeated boiling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt or seasoned salt
Bring 21/2 cups of water to boil. Put 1/2 cup of the water in a blender with garlic , lemon juice,and 1/4 cup of the curry powder. and blend until smooth . add to the boiling water. add the acorns and simmer for minutes . drain put in a baking dish. mix in the rest of the curry powder , the olive oil and salt . Roast at 300F for 45 to 90 minutes or until the acorns are dry and well-roasted but not hard stirring often.

I somtimes add other sauces to it, to give it a bit more flavor.

I also make crackers with acorn flour with 50 nomal flour 50 acorn Because acorn does not soak up water very well. I add a pinch of salt and make it into a dough by adding water and butter. Then roll thinly and cut it into pieces and cook them on a hot plate. They are very nice with cheese on top and keep a long time.

P.s I coarse mince my acorns before I soak them it speeds the tanning release up.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Has anyone tried buying them? Seem to have come across a few references to this and sounds like a good way of storing the autumn glut for use through the year? Food for free suggest burying with some ash/charcoal.

I presume this would need to be fairly deep and in some sort of sack/cloth.

I guess it works for squirrels!

Scoops

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
scoops_uk said:
Has anyone tried buying them? Seem to have come across a few references to this and sounds like a good way of storing the autumn glut for use through the year? Food for free suggest burying with some ash/charcoal.

I presume this would need to be fairly deep and in some sort of sack/cloth.

I guess it works for squirrels!

Scoops

Burying?….I think if you bury them you get oak trees. :lmao:

Drying acorn flour in an oven uses a lot of energy for not much result. Not very environmentally friendly! :cop: Best feed acorns to a pig and then eat the pig; tastes much better. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE