A waterproof bushcraft jacket - but which?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Doc said:
I have to say I am a convert to Fjallraven. I'd resisted buying their gear on cost grounds, but I eventually gave in and bought the Greenland trousers. Should have got them years ago.

True story: A friends father used his greenland trousers extensively for some 20 years. The buttons were completely blank, and looked rather sad. But after 20 years the zip-fly broke. He sent them back to the company, mostly as a prank. But he got them back, the zip exchanged. That G-1000 is really something.

(...yeah yeah, a bit OT, I know)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Fjallraven gear is excelllent I have "road tested" a pair of their trousers for 20+ years and find them superb.
As far as trousers go, british army lightwieghts are unbeatable, cheap, durable and comfortable.
For dry legs in wet weather, try chaps in waxed cotton - very durable and cheap +easy to make.
Ventile for bushcraft is a brilliant fabric, but despite manufacturers claims is not waterproof - its weatherproof, you will get wet at some point, depending on the number of layers and the construction of the jacket. Immersion tests`are different to wind-blown rain you experience on the side of a mountain and relying on a single layer of ventile to keep you dry would be less than sensible.
A knowledge of what should be worn underneath and how various fabrics work is essential if using any water/weatherproof fabric.
Ventile works in a wide variety of situations that modern synthetics don't, it can be used in cold/dry climates as a windproof, in cold/wet climates as a weatherproof and in warm dry climates as a shirt or as a general purpose garment in the temperate climate.
A lot of companies produce garments in ventile in many different patterns and your choice will be / should be influenced by the features you require (don't be swayed by gadgets and gizmos , go for what you actually need - if you need basic - go for it - don't be sold rubbish you don't need. I find four pockets and a hood quite suffiicent, I don't need all the extras that either add cost or cut quality!
As with all things -KISS Rule _Keep It Simple Stupid, the less features - the less to go wrong.
A few companies actually make ventile garments (Snowsled + WestWinds (actually Snugpak) and variations of their design are sold by various companies Bearclaw, Tamarack, etc. Bisonbushcraft (who I work for) and SASS make their own,which are simple military designs.
My best advice would be to make your own (its not that difficult & a whole lot cheaper). But whoever you choose, see if they sell it as part of a system, ie, they sell kit that is cut to be worn underneath and that that kit is in the right fabrics for your intended use, ie, if you choose a natural fibre outer, that those are continued thru to the base layer in the same or at least a compatible cut.
As for the high cost of ventile - remember it will outlast gore ten times over (you do the maths!).
The statement I have made above is intended to give the reader a general overview of the fabric, design and its limitations and is not a "plug" for a product or courses I sell, but is for fellow bushcrafters looking for advice on a fabric I have used and abused for about 22 years, people I know who may well use their kit in situations where mother nature has a pre-menstrual day and throws all sort of bad stuff your way (but all I have written is equally applicable for the lady's among us!).
N

Jan 22, 2006
uk
A feature i've seen on a Chevalier jacket that i thought was excellent were 'yoke straps'. It effectively is 2 strong straps that go from the middle of the collar inside the jacket to somewhere below the arm holes. When you put the jacket on you first put your arms thru these straps. This enables you to take the jacket off, and it hangs off you via the straps. great for cooling down, i really dont know why they arent on more jackets. I've written to Howies to ask if they'd put them on their ventile, no response tho. I think i'll make them myself and put them on the next proper jacket i get, i'll send a pic.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Tony said:
The Full members have got first dibs on the Bushcraft UK Ventile jackets, I’ll be putting them up for sale to all members next week.

I think you’ll find it hard to get the perfect jacket, I’ve learned that most of these things are down to personal comfort and taste. Try on as many as you can, move around in them and see what it feels like. I’ve had some cheap jackets that have been great and I’ve had more expensive ones that I’ve hardly worn. As with all kit, it’s costly not getting what’s right for you first time.

Paramo have some excellent products, especially considering that they’re not ruined if you burn a few holes in them, they just need patching, yet they’re waterproof and have good breathability.

Notwithstanding member status any chance of seeing a picture of this jacket or a description? I’m looking for a plain green coat at the moment, something distinctly lacking in my outdoor wardrobe, and maybe this is the one!

As for burning holes in Paramo kit I managed to let a soldering iron fall onto the front of one of their shirts when working under the Landy’s dashboard. To say I was gutted is an understatement but guess what I used one of my two “BushcraftUK badges” for! Just a pity the iron didn’t strike a little nearer to where One might affix a chest-height insignia, as it would look, for all the world, like a pucker BushcraftUK/Paramo collaboration!

Cheers

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Klenchblaize said:
Notwithstanding member status any chance of seeing a picture of this jacket or a description? I’m looking for a plain green coat at the moment, something distinctly lacking in my outdoor wardrobe, and maybe this is the one!

As for burning holes in Paramo kit I managed to let a soldering iron fall onto the front of one of their shirts when working under the Landy’s dashboard. To say I was gutted is an understatement but guess what I used one of my two “BushcraftUK badges” for! Just a pity the iron didn’t strike a little nearer to where One might affix a chest-height insignia, as it would look, for all the world, like a pucker BushcraftUK/Paramo collaboration!

Cheers

It would be great to find out more about this Bushcraft U.K. jacket. After all, it is designed by folk who participate and who should have some pretty good ideas about what needs to be there and what doesn't. Having very recently taken out full membership, perhaps I'll get a peek at what will be available! I take heart that Ventile is being used, rather than some petrochemically inspired fabric. Yes, it's heavy and stiff when wet and can take a while to dry but it's quiet, 'breathes' very effectively, lasts for ages and, most importantly, it is incredibly comfortable. Come on Buskcraft U.K. - show us yer coat!

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Tiley,

There was a thread a while ago with pictures of Stuart wearing the BCUK ventile jacket and a lot of information on it. It looks very good and very well thought out, unfortunately I can't find the thread any more :rolleyes:
Perhaps someone else will be able to post a link for you now your a full member :D

Brian

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
This has probably been said before but, Ventile does exactly what it is supposed to do. Nothing more and nothing less. Too many times have I been to outdoor kit stores and had salespeople working on commission trying to sell me on the latest bit of gear and saying things like "This jacket is amazing, you'll stay totally dry." Which of course is a blatent lie.

Something tells me that's why it's still a popular, viable piece of kit even though the technology is 60+ years old.

Go for a Ventile jacket, Tiley. You won't be disappointed. (Just remember to layer accordingly) :)

Adam

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
At the moment I'm in love with my Paramo, It's not too heavy when it's on but is isn't as light as other jackets and also doesn't pack down very small.
though warmer then a gortex I find that I get less clammy and I prefer that as it means when I take the jacket off I don't get cold from the evaperation

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ditto demographic's comments.

I have used the German army goretex suit and it has faced the worst rain the UK has to offer.

If you are very careful you can cut off the badges. Do so by cutting the stitching on the badge, then trim the thread. DO NOT try and pull it out! That will make a small hole that lets water in.

You can pick up a complete set for £45 trousers and jacket.

Sandsnakes.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
addyb said:
A decent outdoor jacket is always a compromise and probably always will be. I believe that the trick is to weigh out those compromises until you find one that fits your own individual needs.
Adam

Couldn't agree more. There is no ideal 'bushcraft' jacket. The Swanni is great, is very durable, quiet, and fireproof - but heavy, bulky and not fully waterproof.

Goretex/eVent are great but generally tear easily and are never as breathable as you want.

Think about what you actually want here: most of the time we want a windproof/showerproof top and a shell to throw over it when it honks down. There are plenty of durable 'softshells' around, which breathe well and are showerproof, or - and I think someone mentioned the Montane Smock - look at shelled pile jackets (Rab, Montane, Marmot, Buffalo, etc), which have a micro-pile lining and a (usually) pertex windproof/showerproof shell. They breathe well and dry quickly, but the pertex can tear easily.

I have never tried Paramo clothing but they are fully waterproof, breathable, and tougher than goretex/eVent shells. Might be worth a look.

Ventile is great but - again, it is a myth that it is waterproof! It is showerproof and will wet out in a downpour. It is also expensive and difficult to work with - I'm lucky, I get my ventile kit issued but I wouldn't buy it at high-street prices.

Waxed jackets (like Barbour and Dri-az-abone - sp?) can be very tough and prctical and breathe reasonable well - that's why so many outdoor workers wear them. Unfortunately, they suffer from an image problem with some people but, what the hell, if it works...

Often, in a bushcraft situtation, we will have a portable shelter (tarp or something) and if it is really honking down, most of us won't want to be out in it anyway. Stop and make a brew.

Adam is exactly right - what are really going to be doing? What do you really want out of your jacket? If you want durability and breathability, be prepared to get wet every now and again.

Finally, if you do go down the goretex/eVent shell route, consider ex-military stuff - it is dirt cheap and almost 'disposable' at the price from surplus stores. So, if you rip it - bodge tape the hole; if you ruin it - get another.

I'll stop ranting now.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
demographic said:
I am getting on rather well with the german army Gore Tex jacket that one of my brothers left at my house a while ago.
As he had borrowed it from another brother the owner doesn't know I currently have it, sorted.

Although I am not overly keen on cammo jackets its at least not in "I wish I was in the TA" style DPM and is what they refer to as Flektarn camoflague or what I call cabbage patch cammo.

Been wearing it for work in the p*****g rain and its well worth the thirty five quid I didn't pay for it :)
Only problem would be that the hood is pretty massive, its fine at work cos it goes over the top of a builders hard hat but could perhaps do with a wire through the hood to aid visibility.
Says its three layer laminate also and looks like this...
fleck_goretex_jacket.jpg

Where can I get one of these mate?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Tiley said:
It would be great to find out more about this Bushcraft U.K. jacket. After all, it is designed by folk who participate and who should have some pretty good ideas about what needs to be there and what doesn't. Having very recently taken out full membership, perhaps I'll get a peek at what will be available! I take heart that Ventile is being used, rather than some petrochemically inspired fabric. Yes, it's heavy and stiff when wet and can take a while to dry but it's quiet, 'breathes' very effectively, lasts for ages and, most importantly, it is incredibly comfortable. Come on Buskcraft U.K. - show us yer coat!

Hello Tiley.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the thread in the Full Members forum with photos of the BCUK ventile jacket:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15920&page=1&pp=50

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Klenchblaize said:
Guess I should have stumped-up the membership fee as I can’t access this page :(

Hello Klenchblaize,

I could post the pics in this thread, were it not for fear of incurring Tony's wrath for spoiling the official launch of the jacket on the open forums.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE