A waterproof bushcraft jacket - but which?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm on the quest for a good, durable, lightweight jacket that will suit any adventures throughout the year. I know ALL the endless arguments and debates that have been batted around about Goretex, Event and all the other waterproof-but-breathable fabrics; Ventile seems to be the answer but the jackets are always cut to make you look like HRH Prince Charles cruising Highgrove or The-one-that-Shackleton-left-behind. Does anyone out there have a jacket that does it all and does it well?

Any ideas or thoughts would be most welcome, as would details of any suppliers of the recommended tops.

When is the BushcraftUK Ventile jacket going to be available? What will it look like? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
if you want something cheap, i chose a Regatta 'breathable' and waterproof jacket for someone at £20. sounds very cheap for a breathable i know but regatta are quality and the user likes it (who walks mountains). i got it from a JJB sports store. durable? its a thin jacket so could easily rip on barbed wire and the stitching has started to come loose on my regatta but only in the pocket.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

In my limited experience if you want something that does everything, it will be a comprimise.

It's probally best to dress in layers and have the best clothing for each layer IMHO. for example if I'm out in the hills walking I'll take a windproof waterproof gortex outer layer with jumper and inner layer below. If I'm in the forest probally only a jumper and an inner..

You might be best getting a cheap summer jacket, and one for the winter. I'd prefer to spend more money on winter gear, as I'd prefer to be warm and poor than cold and rich!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The license for gore-tex garments are cheaper if they are to be sold as work wear. Sometimes these kind of clothes are available in green, or at least something neutral (There is a great line of clothes for the forrest industry here, but probably a bitch to get in the UK). Work wear has to be two-layer gore-tex though, good enough. And work wear stand up to more abuse (in my experience) than normal 'outdoor'-clothing. You could check this brand if you want, specially the 'forest'-jacket.

Otherwise you'll probably have to invest in a good 3 layer eptfe membrane jacket if you want a 4 season one.

Ventile is a great fabric. A bit expensive, and usually in ill-designed patterns, I agree. I use an eta-proof jacket, which is the same as ventile (thx addyb), and it is probably the one piece of kit I value the most. I use it almost everyday, except in winter, when I use another cotton jacket :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have an SAS smock and S95 style trousers made form OG ventile to my measurements by www.SASSkit.co.uk and they tell me they have some more in stock...

DSC00135.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
big_swede said:
The license for gore-tex garments are cheaper if they are to be sold as work wear. Sometimes these kind of clothes are available in green, or at least something neutral (There is a great line of clothes for the forrest industry here, but probably a bitch to get in the UK). Work wear has to be two-layer gore-tex though, good enough. And work wear stand up to more abuse (in my experience) than normal 'outdoor'-clothing. You could check this brand if you want, specially the 'forest'-jacket.

Otherwise you'll probably have to invest in a good 3 layer eptfe membrane jacket if you want a 4 season one.

Ventile is a great fabric. A bit expensive, and usually in ill-designed patterns, I agree. I use an eta-proof jacket, which is the same as ventile (thx addyb), and it is probably the one piece of kit I value the most. I use it almost everyday, except in winter, when I use another cotton jacket :)

MANY thanks for these two connections - both look very interesting. The Klattermusen top (cotton) looks just the job but they only have limited stock left. I hope I haven't missed out on that.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It is a very tricky one and compromise is inevitable. Ventile is good but heavy when wet and the mountaineering fraternity have not taken to it much.

Some of the options I have tried/considered:

Barbour Berwick Endurance. Not waxed cotton - it is tough olive cordura with breathable drop liner. 'If there's a better field coat, it's on your labrador...' say the ads. Very hard-wearing, resists thorns, barbed wire etc. Very good protection against wind and rain. Good handwarmer pockets. Articulated elbows for shooting are also good for bushcraft. Excellent subdued olive - not too dark- deer do not see it easily. and it is near silent. Unfortunately is bulky, heavy (1.6kg) and has a fairly poor detatchable hood.

Keela Munro. Mountain jacket, used by rescue teams, available in 'covert' (sort of field grey) technical with pit zips etc and decent hood. Too hot in summer months.

Deerhunter Ram jacket. drop liner, silent fabric. friend of mine has one and raves about it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Spacemonkey said:
I have an SAS smock and S95 style trousers made form OG ventile to my measurements by www.SASSkit.co.uk and they tell me they have some more in stock...

DSC00135.jpg

Thanks for this. It's an interesting website and seems good value too. I'll get in touch and see if they can help.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Doc said:
It is a very tricky one and compromise is inevitable. Ventile is good but heavy when wet and the mountaineering fraternity have not taken to it much.

Some of the options I have tried/considered:

Barbour Berwick Endurance. Not waxed cotton - it is tough olive cordura with breathable drop liner. 'If there's a better field coat, it's on your labrador...' say the ads. Very hard-wearing, resists thorns, barbed wire etc. Very good protection against wind and rain. Good handwarmer pockets. Articulated elbows for shooting are also good for bushcraft. Excellent subdued olive - not too dark- deer do not see it easily. and it is near silent. Unfortunately is bulky, heavy (1.6kg) and has a fairly poor detatchable hood.

Keela Munro. Mountain jacket, used by rescue teams, available in 'covert' (sort of field grey) technical with pit zips etc and decent hood. Too hot in summer months.

Deerhunter Ram jacket. drop liner, silent fabric. friend of mine has one and raves about it.

Thank you for such a full reply. I will certainly find out about all of them but the Keela Munro sounds pretty good. In summer, I tend to wear an uninsulated soft shell top or windshirt so this would be for the gnarlier months of the year.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Bear in mind that the ventile SAS smocks will cost a bit more as it is ventile and a sod to work with, and dearer to buy the cloth. Mine was only slightly more as they had a lot of cloth at discount prices and a few of us on here got in quick, me being the last. Would recommend the trouser option too as legs get wet as well!!

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hello,

I can't recomend the montane extreme smock enough, just pop it on over a base layer and you are away, pertex, fleece lined etc, light weight. The army boys love them, I always reach for this jacket, it outperfoms my berghaus mera peak, and my moutain equipment paclite. The good thing being, you can get them buy it now of ebay for £65, more breathable than goretex if you run hot, and lovely and warm, also come with a great quality storm hood!

Seriously good jacket, comes in olive green which is great for bushcrfat, nothing to too touch it for this money. Google montane and have a look about. Let me know what you think.

You may want to look at the swandrii bushshirt, these are lovely, but you'll struggle to get one for under a £100, quality piece of kit though.

Ventile smocks are top notch, but very expensive £200+ and I don't like them.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have to say I am a convert to Fjallraven. I'd resisted buying their gear on cost grounds, but I eventually gave in and bought the Greenland trousers. Should have got them years ago.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
A decent outdoor jacket is always a compromise and probably always will be. I believe that the trick is to weigh out those compromises until you find one that fits your own individual needs.

For example: You want a coat that's really waterproof. The trade off is a lack of breathability/MVT (moisture vapour transfer).

A coat that's breathable? You sacrifice a lot of waterproofness to attain that.

Durability? The coat becomes heavy, and you can't move as quickly in it.

In a way, it's basic physics. :) For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Although, I suppose Ventile comes out as holding nearly equal ground in this category. The fabric is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Adam

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tiley said:
When is the BushcraftUK Ventile jacket going to be available? What will it look like? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

The Full members have got first dibs on the Bushcraft UK Ventile jackets, I’ll be putting them up for sale to all members next week.

I think you’ll find it hard to get the perfect jacket, I’ve learned that most of these things are down to personal comfort and taste. Try on as many as you can, move around in them and see what it feels like. I’ve had some cheap jackets that have been great and I’ve had more expensive ones that I’ve hardly worn. As with all kit, it’s costly not getting what’s right for you first time.

Paramo have some excellent products, especially considering that they’re not ruined if you burn a few holes in them, they just need patching, yet they’re waterproof and have good breathability.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am getting on rather well with the german army Gore Tex jacket that one of my brothers left at my house a while ago.
As he had borrowed it from another brother the owner doesn't know I currently have it, sorted.

Although I am not overly keen on cammo jackets its at least not in "I wish I was in the TA" style DPM and is what they refer to as Flektarn camoflague or what I call cabbage patch cammo.

Been wearing it for work in the p*****g rain and its well worth the thirty five quid I didn't pay for it :)
Only problem would be that the hood is pretty massive, its fine at work cos it goes over the top of a builders hard hat but could perhaps do with a wire through the hood to aid visibility.
Says its three layer laminate also and looks like this...
fleck_goretex_jacket.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE