A Quick Birch Bark Dipper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
John Fenna said:
Anyone got time to post informative threads these days?

Well a few more “field craft” and “how to” articles were requested, so I wandered up to the woods today. There were a couple of fallen birch trees (due to the rain and wind of late) and it seemed too good an opportunity to miss so I decided to do a quick birch bark dipper on the off chance it interested someone.

So before we start, we need a blunt “bark wedge” to pry the bark from the tree. This has the advantage of being thin enough to insert under the bark to pry the bark from the tree but also being blunt so as not to pierce the bark and spoil its water proofing properties.

A good opportunity to demonstrate one of my favourite grips – the chest lever.

I picked up a fallen branch and took out my trusty Mora. Note the “underhand” grip braced against the chest a good suck of air to swell the rib cage and a tense of the forearm and thick chips fairly fly

509527487_1d4727993f.jpg

In four cuts we have a blunt wedge that won’t pierce the bark when peeling it from the tree

509559595_b7bc8522b0.jpg

Next we I inspected the trunk to find a 12” section with no lumps, bumps, branches or burrs. This is the section I will peel the bark from. Its really important to do this on a dead tree – doing it to a living tree is called “ring barking” and will kill the tree.

Having selected my area, I cut through the outer bark all the way round the tree

509559597_2ddc2ed699.jpg

I then did the same again 12” along the trunk to make two concentric circles right around the tree

After this I made one long cut to join up the two circles. Note the two handed cut to apply a lot of pressure to ensure the cut is right through the bark

509559599_fb101cb0a2.jpg

In fact I made two of all of these cuts in a wedge shape to let me insert the wedge under the bark and peel it back without danger of splitting or tearing

509527491_9e631b5b1c.jpg

Now this is the delicate bit – get your bark wedge under the bark and very gently start to lift the bark from the trunk

509617925_f48582517f.jpg

After a while you will be getting well under the bark and lifting it off

509575617_53149e2237.jpg

Go gentle and slow. If you get to a “sticky bit” ease the bark away from the trunk and use your knife to cut through the obstacle like this

509559601_47818c2abc.jpg

After a bit of careful effort, you should end up with a neat rectangle of bark looking a little like this

509527481_6242fcda29.jpg

Okay, now, once you have a good size piece of (waterproof) birch bark, there are a multiple possibilities – square bowls through scoring and folding, roof tiles for shelters, match cases, gathering baskets, all sorts.

This time though, we are going for a simple “dipper” cup. So a branch makes the handle and clip all in one. For this I need a thin branch with a side branch coming from it. I’ll use my pocket saw to gain this although a knife would do.

509527501_5dce46dbe1.jpg

I sawed the branch about 2” from the side branch. Then I used my knife to split down to the side branch spur. The grain swirl stops the split running. I cut two parallel splits and removed a sliver of wood

509527505_a8ba514c06.jpg

Finally I cut a rough oval from my bark, folded a triangle of the oval inwards to form a cone and pushed the folded area into the wedge I cut in my “dipper” handle. We end up with a completely watertight cone and a neat handle to drink from. I could neaten it up, but this was designed to be fast and “functional”

509527495_4869e290b8.jpg

Quick bark work is fun!

Red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Very interesting Red, thanks for sharing !

Along with lovely grub pictures and travel experience posts, that's the kind thread that I come here for !

Cheers,

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
In four cuts we have a blunt wedge that won’t pierce the bark when peeling it from the tree

You could of done in in two with an F1, Red......;) :D :D :D

V good tutorial mate, I have never tried this....
I understood (maybe wrongly) that taking off the outer bark does not kill the tree...?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In theory Jon - but no-ones cut is that controlled. In the UK the inner bark (where the xylem and phloem live) is soft and will just flake away. I suspect what you say is probably true when a generations educated first nations guy is removing the outer bark, but for me, its easier to say "don't do it to a living tree" ;). Its worth noting that the "living" part of any tree is just under the bark (happy to do a more detailed write up of this) and that the inner core is just rigidity. This is why totally hollow, lightening blasted oaks still live. Its one of the reasons I don't bury my axe or knife in a living tree

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE