A dum rabbit question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi all,

I feel a little stupid asking this, but does anyone know of a way to make rabbits bolt from their borrows without using ferrets. I think I read somewhere here that smoke doesnt work............are ferrets really the only practical way?

Cheers Moko

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I dont think its a dumb question but I have never found a way as smoke goes up and bunnies go down .It would be nice not having to lug the ferrets about though.I have thought of one way but not tried it as it is far too cruel and im not that hungry. Good luck and happy hunting :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
there was a thread a little while ago where someone was talking about threading dog roses or brambles through to pull them out.. im not sure that is what you were thinking of though..

a jack russell perhaps..?

RGRBOX

Forager
Growing up in the woods of Louisiana, I never had such problems.. rabbits like to eat.. so they leave their burrows often.. We never hunted them much, because my grandfather wouldn't let us, he didn't like to eat them... and we had plenty of squirels around.. not to gamey a taste..... I still don't know why... sometimes you just have to sit a wait him out... any noise, and he'll stay in his burrow.. smoke doesn't do too well as was said before, because it rises.. I've never used ferrets to hunt with... so that's news to me.. I know of people with trained hunting dogs.. I think the Bassit Hound was used in hunting burrowing animals... maybe you can go that route...

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
A Very good way to flush rabbits out is to use carbide. It is used in carbide lamps. Its a rock like substance that when wet gives of acetylene gas. I have never done this but remeber my dad telling me about it when I was a boy.

He used to block all the holes of a warren up expect two. In one he would place the carbide, then he would pee, on it (obviously you could just use water). The then blocked that holes entrance up and then held a net over the other open hole, the rabbits all ran out into the the net.

The gas given off is very smelly and I guess thats why they run out, I could not say how damaging it is for them to breathe, however it seems to do the job.

Just incase you are interested.

Calcium carbide (or calcium acetylide) and water are then reacted by any of several methods to produce acetylene and calcium hydroxide.

CaC2 + 2H2O → Ca(OH)2 + C2H2

Pete
mm3nwi

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
TomTom, My two Jacks are too big for rabbit holes and they are both short legged and small. The dog showed a bit of interest in a bury on Sunday but I called him and the pup (bitch) off as I didnt want to dig em out I reckon the best way is still the humble Ferret Im sure thats what the Romans used origionally when they brought the "conies" over here.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
A good way is to use a chainsaw motor, link a length of hose to the exhaust and rev the motor, this fills the burrow with fumes and out the bunnies come..... just remember to remove the chain/bar first!

A farmer friend of mine recommends filling the warren with the contents of his slurry tank.... shifts the bunnies and feeds the hedge in one go!

Some books recommend rags soaked in creosote placed in the entrances will stop them going back down and force them to stay out in the fields

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
If you live near the coast send a few crabs down There burrows with a stumpy candle (alight) stuck on there backs.(Northumberland tecnique)
True, works when you have no ferrets.
You don,t get the crabs back though :) :)
Net the other entry points to the burrow.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
But what have the Romans ever done for us? Nah, they brought big snails over, but not the bunnies. My mob brought them over after 1066 and all that. They were a prized delicacy of the noble classes, and were kept on islands to protect them. The first lot were so frail they kept dying off, but eventually they survived and flourished. I think that Lundy Isladn had the first populations???

All the Romans brought were olives and wine.

In a student house I lived in once I saw a rat disapear through a hole in the skirting board into the understairs cupboard. I decided the best way to flush the thing out was to spray in a can of lighter gas and follow that up with a match. I didn't succeed in flushing the rat out but I did manage to blow the door open and fill most of the house with a cloud of dust that had been happily gathering for the past 100 or so years.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
dave f if you ( or anyone else for that matter) has a rabbit problem just invite me up (or down as the case may be ) for the weekend ill substantially reduce your population free of charge......... all i need is a place to put up my hammock :D, dam ide even pay for the privalage (im a tree surgeon ) with work ..........any offers ?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Spacemonkey said:
All the Romans brought were olives and wine.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I think the confusion is probably down to the fact that rabbits were brought into Britain by the Romans, but that the domestication and farming of rabbits (the creation of warrens, with rights protected by law) began properly with the Normans in the C12th. This confusion is prevalent throughout many of the sources available online, some stating introduction by the Romans, some by the Normans.

But there is clear archaeological evidence for rabbits (being the species Oryctolagus cuniculus which is a native of the western Mediterranean) found in Roman context (as a food source) Take this BBC article for example:

Remains of Roman rabbit uncovered
"The bones themselves had been butchered, possibly the rabbit was to be eaten by a Roman, and then buried on the site.

"We believe we have convincing evidence that these rabbit remains could be the earliest known in Britain," she said.

The Mammal Society in their Fact Sheet - The Rabbit Oryctolagus cuniculus notes that:
Rabbits originate from the western Mediterranean. They were introduced to Britain by the Normans in the 12th century to provide meat and fur. Rabbits are now widespread throughout Britain and Ireland, but are absent from Rum.
I think that this tends to reinforce the deliberate domestication and farming/ breeding of rabbits (in warrens) at that time, following earlier incidental introduction, at least from current evidence.

This is also the case with the Brown Hare which was also probably introduced to Britain by the Romans, unlike the native Mountain Hare which it has displaced in all but higher moorland and mountain regions.

So you are all right! :)

snock

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2006
Aylesbury.
www.airgunbbs.com
Use a womans personal alarm to scare them from they're burrows.
You need the ear splitting shrill type alarm.

Rabbits are more sensitive to high pitch sounds than low pitch.

Many of these alarms are given away by the police or local council.

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE