58 pattern sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
They now use a synthetic bag in conjunction with a gortex type bivi bag....it's very similar in style to the old 58 bag but has a compression bag with it and no waterproof base (hence the bivvi bag).

I used the 58 bag as a cadet for many years and liked it but I also kept my newer sleeping system when I left the TA and use that now....I find it very good and still cheaper than civvi alternatives.......but (always a but) it's still rather bulky even with the compression sac.

Blankfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
With the birthday approaching may be a new sleeping bag is needed.

Are the synthetic bags similar to snugpaks?

Is any one in a position to comment on the good points and not so good points (being politically correct) of the 2 types of army sleeping bags?

Tom

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Similar to the snugpac I think but not the same.

As I said below they are both good bags if a little bulky/heavy. I really don't think you can beat either for price when compared to civvi bags.
Personally I'd go with the newer type (similar price to the 58) but it will mean you'll need a ground cover of some sort...ground sheet, bivvi bag...whatever.....but you get a compresion sac with it that you don't with the 58.

Bad points:

As warned by others below, the older ones may have been repaired and lost filling.
Both are heavy when wet and take a while to dry.
Both are bulky.
Zips on the 58 need to work properly or don't buy.

Good points:

Both very warm when dry.
Both very good value for money either 2nd hand or surplus new.
Burst open zips (army use them to bug out fast - I use them to nip to the loo in a hurry when I wake up). :rolmao:

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I got a new 58 pattern long, and although it's down filled doesn't have the waterproof base, anyone else seen these, as I'm not sure if these are genuine..

Looks the same as the one in the pic on the dubora site mind...but question is - can these be compressed anymore and what compression sack will do the job as I struggle to get it in the hood as it is ????

Cheers,
Quiggers...

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Blankfisherman said:
Are the synthetic bags similar to snugpaks?

Is any one in a position to comment on the good points and not so good points (being politically correct) of the 2 types of army sleeping bags?

Tom

More like similar to 4 snugpacks , not for nowt is the current issue bag known as the bouncing bomb

Not sure what the filling is , but mine has split and it looks like its packed with a duvet

Only get one if you dont mind bulk

leon-1

mercury said:
More like similar to 4 snugpacks , not for nowt is the current issue bag known as the bouncing bomb

Not sure what the filling is , but mine has split and it looks like its packed with a duvet

Only get one if you dont mind bulk

I will second that, the new bags are large, very heavy and exceptionally warm (normally too warm in summer). They are good if you are going to be somewhere very cold and don't mind carrying the weight. I should mention that they are very well constructed though.

They are not massively like the snugpacs, the materials are very different (snugpac use pertex for most of thier bags) and it has a central zip (which most snugpac's don't have), they also have a couple of little mesh pockets on the inside of the bag.

I believe that there are newer lighter weight versions out designed for warmer climates, but as yet I have not used one so could not comment on how good they are. :wave:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Military sleeping bags are "one of those things", like boots, that will never be top of the line. Commercial alternatives will always have the technology drop on them.

They're generally bomb-proof items though and comparatively cheap.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
quiggers,

it sounds to me like you may have the 58' arctic version!

as you say identical but with no waterproof base as they did issue a coated nylon bivy bag with it (not goretex), you can probably get one for £10-£20, but obviously you are betteroff with a newer goretex version!

don't worry it's still good kit!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
The nylon bivi bag, although doubtless often used with the '58, was designed for an issued with the Arctic Bag. The Arctic Bag was like a '58 on steroids, but had no platicised base.

Edit:- Great minds, Mr. Rappleby. I really should read things more carefully

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
cheers Rappleby and Great Pebble - that'll be why I'm sweating in anything other than near to freezing conditions then.. :)

Dead heavy but incredible warmth..if only I can get it smaller..

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ah yes,
i shall explane!

i've done that before and i agree it can be more effective, sounds wierd but when you put it in a compression sack it creates a hard or solid ball shaped object , when you pack the cmpression sack (full) into your bergen you inveriably get spaces around it you cannot fill, and it can bulge and make the bergen uncomfortable to carry.

using the rucksack to stuff the sleeping bag in is not only is easier, but it's easier to get out to use.

i know to the uninitiated it sounds odd but give it a go! :wink:

peterkm

Nov 24, 2004
BELFAST
Well I finally got my 58 pattern sleeping bag. Seems perfect, zip is perfect - grade 1 bag. The bag is sized long, I'm 6'3'' and it's just about comfortable. Pity it doesn't have a nexk baffle! I've never had a down sleeping bag before so I've nothing to compare the loft to but it seems good. I'm going out this weekend so i'll get to try it out. I've two questions 1) what's the strip along the bottom with press studs for? 2) has anyone ever tried things like Nikwax products for waterproofing the down filling.

Peter

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
1. Attaching to the 58 poncho to make a kind of waterproof-ish sleeping/bivi bag type thing.

2. No, but I've no doubt that a waterproofer desigined for down filled items would work.

On the subject of which there's a new Nixwax competion up for those that have been "leeching" off thm.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
peterkm said:
Well I finally got my 58 pattern sleeping bag. Seems perfect, zip is perfect - grade 1 bag. The bag is sized long, I'm 6'3'' and it's just about comfortable. Pity it doesn't have a nexk baffle! I've never had a down sleeping bag before so I've nothing to compare the loft to but it seems good. I'm going out this weekend so i'll get to try it out. I've two questions 1) what's the strip along the bottom with press studs for? 2) has anyone ever tried things like Nikwax products for waterproofing the down filling.

Peter

Yes, I've used Nikwax down proof on my duvet jacket. It did seem to reduce the loft a little but it behaved much better when it got damp, absorbing less water and still insulating pretty well.
Although others may tell you differently, I believe you will find that washing and proofing a sleeping bag is a pretty big job as they are a swine to dry properly and easy to damage when wet. I managed to dry my duvet jacket in a launderette tumble drier (With an old trainer chucked in to help break up the lumps of down).

cheers,
simon

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
thanks for the packing advice Rappleby and Mercury - I'll give that a go this weekend..I've always got spaces in my pack so makes perfect sense..

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I've been given an army sleeping bag (unused) which fits the bill of being bulky and has mesh pockets. It has a label on it saying JL-8465-99-130-9145
SL32A/4805 1990 Polywarm products ltd.
I assume its the current one as described in this thread. Any ideas what its worth? - I might sell it on ebay.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE